Trying to buy a contractor out

Exec32

The terminal is somewhat forcing us to help him. We have a great relationship with the terminal, with him not so much. I'm not even sure how is he still contracted under Fedex since he has a poor operation.

"Somewhat forcing you to help"
Oh, ok so that's how owning your own business works. Let's be real, you guys are doing just like everyone else at other terminals. Who is gonna take in hole the most, soX can feed me some scraps for free. Screwing each other over is what X can always count on,,,,even at your own expense.
Grow balls guys..

Exec32

You are mixing profit with pay for your labor. 15 years ago you could run a rural route and make $50k income but that doesn't equal $50k profit. Profit is what is left over AFTER you pay the reasonable cost of labor, including your own.

And you ignore how fedex changes the rules- from being an individual contractor to being required to own multiple routes. That alone can screw someone after they spent tens of thousands. thinking they were ensuring some security. Fedex changes things and in reality, you have only a choice to accept the changes or leave. For someone with a truck worth less than they owe on, it isn't such a simple choice.

And if someone bought the right to service a contract, that might have been a huge investment so leaving isn't an option that is acceptable, and fedex knows they have that power. As long as fedex can make unilateral changes to their business model, you are one change away from being a failure tomorrow, even if you think are god's greatest contractor today. Any contractor chiding another for 'failure' has a chance to be there through no fault of his own tomorrow.
Well said. Another major problem is that the few contractors that are left, are more than willing to continue this scam, even at their own expense. They are to FAR IN IT to even see day light. Every contractor is or will become an extension of X management. Most of not all are already there. None of them own a business, just the liabilities.
Think about that, you own nothing but scrap metal at the end of the day.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
"Somewhat forcing you to help"
Oh, ok so that's how owning your own business works. Let's be real, you guys are doing just like everyone else at other terminals. Who is gonna take in hole the most, soX can feed me some scraps for free. Screwing each other over is what X can always count on,,,,even at your own expense.
Grow balls guys..
"Divide and conquer." Just like what Fred did with express.

NYCFXG

I see not much as changed here... bacha still fearmongering.. If he's your friend, help him. If he's a jerk let him drown. The guys who are truly good at this are capable of picking up the slack without it hurting them at all. But, if there is someone sitting on my land and I am doing a better job than them, well that's just nature at work. I am not evil or greedy for wanting to grow my business. Opportunities present themselves when people fail, that is the way this specific business works. Take the opportunities or someone else will. But what do I know? I am not a contractor anymore.