Trying to buy a contractor out

bacha29

If I were reduced to working for you, going out in the sticks after dark would be the least of my problems.

You did work that no one else wanted. Congratulations.

You have an endless supply of stories where you zing all the big shots. There's no telling how many calls you missed from Pittsburgh while you were out in the boonies with no cell service. They needed ya, bacha!
That's because you would have been too afraid to go. Understand one thing. The work experiences and the hardships that go along with being part of an upstart operation are far different that the ones you've known being part of a company that was firmly established before you were even born.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's because you would have been too afraid to go.

Here we go with the "No one can do my job" lecture. You delivered packages in the boonies after dark. Let me be the first to tell you that most of the country is the boonies, and they all have dark, and they all get packages.

Understand one thing. The work experiences and the hardships that go along with being part of an upstart operation are far different that the ones you've known being part of a company that was firmly established before you were even born.

Not sure what your point is. You bought a job delivering packages.

bacha29

Here we go with the "No one can do my job" lecture. You delivered packages in the boonies after dark. Let me be the first to tell you that most of the country is the boonies, and they all have dark, and they all get packages.

Not sure what your point is. You bought a job delivering packages.
"Not sure what you're point is". You got that right along with a considerable number of other important points you don't get.

vantexan

It's a different skill set. Most drivers won't make good managers. I'm not sure what point you're even trying to make. People have different jobs, randomly doing a different job one day probably won't work out too well, shocking!
I'm speaking specifically to Dano, who in the past has said, among other things, that couriers don't understand the big picture. Most FedEx Express managers are former couriers, and some are great, some not so much. Many are arrogant and have to be humbled at some point. If you knew the arrogance, you'd be aware that many mgrs will tell anyone who'll listen that they can do courier work better than couriers, and that's why they're mgrs and not us. It's extraordinarily satisfying to see them screw up badly when they boast such things.

Bounty

That's because you would have been too afraid to go. Understand one thing. The work experiences and the hardships that go along with being part of an upstart operation are far different that the ones you've known being part of a company that was firmly established before you were even born.
Bacha,
Your story is getting old. It’s the same song every time you post. We all get it, you worked really hard and really late everyday and made no money. I got my route in 2003, worked hard made some money, sold, made more money. Received a lawsuit settlement, made more money. Bought the stock and made more money. If you can’t beat them, join them. Bury the hatchet, if these guys think they are running a business let them, use it to your advantage.

bacha29

Bacha,
Your story is getting old. It’s the same song every time you post. We all get it, you worked really hard and really late everyday and made no money. I got my route in 2003, worked hard made some money, sold, made more money. Received a lawsuit settlement, made more money. Bought the stock and made more money. If you can’t beat them, join them. Bury the hatchet, if these guys think they are running a business let them, use it to your advantage.
The contrast in terms of work experiences between you and I speaks for itself. The difference? I was a startup contractor, you weren't . Not only did we have to get the station started the 3 of us had to fight off closure twice in it's first 3 years of operation Today we 3 day 1's are in complete agreement that if we had known that we were going to be followed by just about the most ungrateful and disrespectful SOB's you ever wanted to come across we would not only have supported the closing we would have recommended it. That is our only regret and the snide remarks made by Dano IWBF and others are very much in keeping with the attitude of the people who are at my station today.

Bounty

The contrast in terms of work experiences between you and I speaks for itself. The difference? I was a startup contractor, you weren't . Not only did we have to get the station started the 3 of us had to fight off closure twice in it's first 3 years of operation Today we 3 day 1's are in complete agreement that if we had known that we were going to be followed by just about the most ungrateful and disrespectful SOB's you ever wanted to come across we would not only have supported the closing we would have recommended it. That is our only regret and the snide remarks made by Dano IWBF and others are very much in keeping with the attitude of the people who are at my station today.
All I’m saying is buy some stock. Once you do Dano, Iwbf and bbsam are your employees. Oops I meant contractors(wink).

bacha29

All I’m saying is buy some stock. Once you do Dano, Iwbf and bbsam are your employees. Oops I meant contractors(wink).
Buy some stock huh? Right now I'm have 44 different positions in stocks etf's and closed funds in 4 different accounts with 2 different brokerages. Starting out with the little bit of cashed I saved from OT pay I bought my first stock in 1978 kept reinvesting the dividends. That original 100 shares is now 2700 shares. Your suggestion is well meaning and appreciated. My best investment ever? Having XM radio installed in my truck. Locked on to CNBC from the moment I left until I got back. Don't put all of you money in stock. Diversify.

It will be fine

Cry much? Your problem is you mistakenly believe we're all on the same team. I don't give a rat's about how hard you had it out in the sticks, that had very little impact on my business. I don't care how well Fedex does in servicing the boonies, I doubt many shippers do either. As long as it gets there eventually they'll be satisfied. There aren't enough customers out there for anyone to really care if it takes a couple extra days to deliver stuff. Get over yourself, even after you left the boxes still get delivered, right? It's working for someone.

bacha29

Cry much? Your problem is you mistakenly believe we're all on the same team. I don't give a rat's about how hard you had it out in the sticks, that had very little impact on my business. I don't care how well Fedex does in servicing the boonies, I doubt many shippers do either. As long as it gets there eventually they'll be satisfied. There aren't enough customers out there for anyone to really care if it takes a couple extra days to deliver stuff. Get over yourself, even after you left the boxes still get delivered, right? It's working for someone.
I would then caution regarding two matters. First your blanket accusations regarding people of being in your minds eye poor mangers are both unfounded and unprofessional. Secondly your claim of owning your own business when every single impactfful decision as well as the very fate of your so called "business" is in the hands of another entity who happens to be your one and only customer is not "owning your own business" It never has been and never will be .And the more quickly you reconcile yourself with that reality the easier it will be for you to accept whatever fate X has in store for you. Why? Despite your belief to the contrary you mean absolutely nothing to them and they have and will continue to do whatever they damn well please despite your objections with complete disregard for how it many impact your so called "business".

It will be fine

I would then caution regarding two matters. First your blanket accusations regarding people of being in your minds eye poor mangers are both unfounded and unprofessional. Secondly your claim of owning your own business when every single impactfful decision as well as the very fate of your so called "business" is in the hands of another entity who happens to be your one and only customer is not "owning your own business" It never has been and never will be .And the more quickly you reconcile yourself with that reality the easier it will be for you to accept whatever fate X has in store for you. Why? Despite your belief to the contrary you mean absolutely nothing to them and they have and will continue to do whatever they damn well please despite your objections with complete disregard for how it many impact your so called "business".
Yawn. Heard it all before. The game has always been adapt or get out, it has been for 20 years, it will be for the next 20. I've always been successful at it, I've seen countless people that aren't. Your experience as a one man operation is not applicable to the current reality.

Bounty

I can admit that when I got my route, I thought I would run it for a few years and sell it when I was a little closer to retirement. I was naive to think that and to think I was signing a contract with a company that was working in good faith. Those were my mistakes. X made mistakes also.(lawsuits). You have to realize that these guys that are playing the game now, must protect what they have. Weather, they believe x nonsense or not. They are riding the wave. Some will get out and make some nice $ others might wait until the wave crashes and get hurt.

bacha29

Yawn. Heard it all before. The game has always been adapt or get out, it has been for 20 years, it will be for the next 20. I've always been successful at it, I've seen countless people that aren't. Your experience as a one man operation is not applicable to the current reality.
You are most certainly free to go on believing what you want to believe but when to comes to what you're believing you're the only one who believes what you're believing.

bacha29

You just nailed. You're just another greedy contractor who wanted it all for himself in a station where it was everybody for himself. A condition that XG will continue to exploit by puffing you up and making you believe that you're far more valuable to them than you actually are. As a result your investment will never be a consideration when XG develops it's future strategies . That is what is wrong. You have and will continue to be blackmailed into putting ever more money at risk while the representation of that investment is and will remain a flat out zero.

bacha29

I can admit that when I got my route, I thought I would run it for a few years and sell it when I was a little closer to retirement. I was naive to think that and to think I was signing a contract with a company that was working in good faith. Those were my mistakes. X made mistakes also.(lawsuits). You have to realize that these guys that are playing the game now, must protect what they have. Weather, they believe x nonsense or not. They are riding the wave. Some will get out and make some nice $ others might wait until the wave crashes and get hurt.
But Bounty.....how do they protect it? They have no effective representation . At least with a publicly traded stock I have voting rights and I can offer amendments and proposals to be put up for a vote. These guys are getting dangerously high amounts of money at risk but you have no more representation whether you've got $1 on the table or a $1,000,000 on the table.They simply continue to demand that you put more money at risk in to response what they claim to be anticipated growth whether or not it comes to fruition or is profitable to do . It's either that or "hasta lavista baby". It's corporate blackmail pure and simple. There's no denying it.

Bounty

But Bounty.....how do they protect it? They have no effective representation . At least with a publicly traded stock I have voting rights and I can offer amendments and proposals to be put up for a vote. These guys are getting dangerously high amounts of money at risk but you have no more representation whether you've got $1 on the table or a $1,000,000 on the table.They simply continue to demand that you put more money at risk in to response what they claim to be anticipated growth whether or not it comes to fruition or is profitable to do . It's either that or "hasta lavista baby". It's corporate blackmail pure and simple. There's no denying it.
There is no protection. Guys like iwbf and bbsam probably accumulated their routes for free or picked them up over the course of a few years. They are sitting in a good position, but to come in now and buy an isp I think you would have to be a damn fool.

bbsam

Staff member
There is no protection. Guys like iwbf and bbsam probably accumulated their routes for free or picked them up over the course of a few years. They are sitting in a good position, but to come in now and buy an isp I think you would have to be a damn fool.
I’ve said it many times.

Yes. Acquired for free.

Except a really crappy area that I actually paid for.

bacha29

I’ve said it many times.

Yes. Acquired for free.

Except a really crappy area that I actually paid for.
I too got mine for free but when ordered to put on a full time supplemental thereby sending out 2 trucks everyday but only getting paid for 1 a direct violation of their own unilaterally drafted and implemented contract I wasn't about to get into this con any deeper and started making plans to get out.
Why would anyone want to continue to deal with a company that won't even live up to the terms of it's own unilaterally drafted and implemented contract?
I believe that a closer examination of those who quit would reveal that it was due to the fact that they too refused to work for a company that habitually violated it's own contract terms as often as it wished in order to better it's own interests.

That so called contract is the one and only legal defense of your investment you have yet they flagrantly abuse and ignore their own contract terms on a continuous daily basis. What conditions allow them to do it? It's because they know that they have you positioned in a way that you have absolutely no power to resist it.