TS Sandy

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Man they have their own language. :dissapointed:
For decades the discussions were abbv. and far more technical scientific analysis...until three? years ago noaa and nws decided to dumb them down . Many mets were miffed by this, actually. For one, the discussions were taking 3x more time to prepare. :D

texan

I do not wish this at all. I pray it may not be so, but if the eye is slightly left of New York City, and
the right quadrant hits the city.................

I have watched Discovery about this senerio. It will not be well.

A full moon on Monday means tides will already be high.

texan

Cuba after the storm.
2012-10-25T180249Z_01_HAV03_RTRMDNP_3_STORM-SANDY-HURRICANE.jpg

menotyou

bella amicizia
I don't see the sea in this projection for

Frankenstorm!!!!!

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/weather_wisdom/2012/10/sandy_moves_slowly_north_milli.html

moreluck

golden ticket member
Doesn't matter if they call it a hurricane or a tropical storm.....18 hours of rain in one place, when it stalls, is too much!!!

island1fox

I am not the most religious guy in the world but I have already said a little prayer for those in the path of Sandy.

I hope all the fishing boats in New England have returned to port and we do not have a real "Perfect Storm Two"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
12z euro shows Sandy rapidly intensify over the gulf stream and punching a hole deep into the stratosphere, hooks NW as it's absorbed by the incoming trof and slams into Block Island RI to Groton, CT. Would be a storm for the ages.

937mb at landfall - 27.67". LOL

Unlikely to happen exactly like that, but that's what it shows.

View attachment 7719
View attachment 7720
Amazingly this post and model run was from 4 days ago. now the European model this afternoon (same model) has come north from it's erred Delmarva position at landfall for the past several days, and more or less back to it's solution 4 days ago.

It appears as though NJ/NY/LI/ CT/RI/MA will be taking a historic hit. Worst-case is not guaranteed but certainly most likely outcome.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Amazingly this post and model run was from 4 days ago. now the European model this afternoon (same model) has come north from it's erred Delmarva position at landfall for the past several days, and more or less back to it's solution 4 days ago.

It appears as though NJ/NY/LI/ CT/RI/MA will be taking a historic hit. Worst-case is not guaranteed but certainly most likely outcome.
They were just worrying about the subways flooding in NYC. I guess a 20% chance. I don't know. Maybe, someone will get a bath.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
These are winds at 900mb or relative to the sfc, around 1500ft above. This is a top-down view of estimated low-level jet stream (llj) speeds at that level.

Notice the huge area >55kts. That is ridiculous, highly unusual. Anywhere that is "exposed" with little or no land/ sfc friction (mostly for coastal/ocean interests) will easily mix down 80-90% of that wind. That is sustained 45kts for the entire coastline from New Brunswick to North Carolina.

Inland the ratio is usually 60-80%.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
By the way, that is 80-100kt from ME to NJ. or 89-109mph.

Also, some center reorganization underway right now.

Tropical cyclones historically strengthen while moving NE parallel to the SC/NC/OBX and etc coast

UnconTROLLed

perfection
@TxStormChasers
MT @MetPhenomena #Sandy now has the largest Integrated Kinetic Energy (IKE) of any tropical cyclone in history, 222 terajoules. (Nerd Alert)