Twilight shift+Saturday Air Driving

EmraldArcher

So I need to be off the clock tonight by 9:40 to have the DoT required amount of time off between shifts. Problem is the sort doesn't start until 6:50.

This raises a couple of questions:

1. Which shift takes precedence? Twilight sort is my primary job but Saturday Air is arguably more important to the company then a Friday sort they usually over staff anyway, especially if they can't get another driver to cover my route tomorrow. Does the contract require I be allowed to clock out in time to make the start time for tomorrow or can my twilight supervisor :censored2: me and the Saturday supervisor over by keeping me on the clock?

2. Can I still get my 3.5 hour guarantee (I would obviously have to start early) or am I basically willingly forfeiting it by "requesting to leave early" to make tomorrow's start time?

By The Book

So I need to be off the clock tonight by 9:40 to have the DoT required amount of time off between shifts. Problem is the sort doesn't start until 6:50.

This raises a couple of questions:

1. Which shift takes precedence? Twilight sort is my primary job but Saturday Air is arguably more important to the company then a Friday sort they usually over staff anyway, especially if they can't get another driver to cover my route tomorrow. Does the contract require I be allowed to clock out in time to make the start time for tomorrow or can my twilight supervisor :censored2: me and the Saturday supervisor over by keeping me on the clock?

2. Can I still get my 3.5 hour guarantee (I would obviously have to start early) or am I basically willingly forfeiting it by "requesting to leave early" to make tomorrow's start time?
I would agree your primary shift is in the lead poison. That said, it's not peak either so you may be able to be cut early. Hours worked only. What changed to make this issue come up?

EmraldArcher

I would agree your primary shift is in the lead poison. That said, it's not peak either so you may be able to be cut early. Hours worked only. What changed to make this issue come up?

They eliminated the shift I was on so I moved to twilight which, imo, was the better choice then midnight where I would be unable to clock in until 11 pm so I could work until 1 pm with the 14 hour rule.

livin the dream

as far as I know it's a dot requirement for you to have ten hours off. I haven't heard of sups dumb enough to break those rules, but I'm still new to driving. I'd assume you're entitled to your 3.5 but you would have to start early. I'd ask a steward

F

FrigidAdCorrector

In my center we always put driving ahead of the sort. Usually if something like this were to happen my FT on car says that the employee has to be off the clock at a certain time.

fres431

Follow the 10hr rule and if your ba or stewards are strong you will get your guarantee I happened in my district during peak they worked for 2 hrs got paid for 3.5 cuz they where told to come in. They still drove next day

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Follow the 10hr rule and if your ba or stewards are strong you will get your guarantee I happened in my district during peak they worked for 2 hrs got paid for 3.5 cuz they where told to come in. They still drove next day

You won't get the guarantee outside of Peak. The only thing they might do is have you start earlier.

PT Car Washer

You won't get the guarantee outside of Peak. The only thing they might do is have you start earlier.
Is there anything to do if you start early. We have one person per belt start 10 minutes early for set up. If you are off by 10:30 PM you would have your 10 hours off at 8:30 AM Saturday. Most times we can't leave the building any earlier. Would that work?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is there anything to do if you start early. We have one person per belt start 10 minutes early for set up. If you are off by 10:30 PM you would have your 10 hours off at 8:30 AM Saturday. Most times we can't leave the building any earlier. Would that work?

I have no idea---I was just thinking of possible ways for the OP to get his 3.5

I would think he would have to forfeit his guarantee when and if he chooses to drive on Saturday.

PT Car Washer

I have no idea---I was just thinking of possible ways for the OP to get his 3.5

I would think he would have to forfeit his guarantee when and if he chooses to drive on Saturday.
I was addressing the question to the OP. I guess I should have phrased it differently. I agree he may have to give up his guaranteed hours on Friday night if the hub will let him.

barnyard

KTM rider
At my center, if you demand your 3.5 hour guarantee on Friday, you will work later and you will start Saturday, 5 min after your DOT required rest period is done.

UPSGUY72

Your primary shift takes precedence so if they didn't have enough people to cover it you would have to work the whole shift and either show up after 10 hour off to drive Air on Sat or just not drive Air on Sat. Than again they could tell you you could leave early if you agreed and didn't raise the issue about you wanting your 3.5 guarantee than you wouldn't be entitled to it. If you request you guarantee they could keep you untill your 3.5 hours was up or until the shift was done than tell you you can't drive Sat because your not going to have enough time off between shifts.

They could also tell you that you could have Friday off so you can drive Sat Air if you agreed or they could be dicks and tell you that you can't drive Sat Air anymore because there isn't enough time between you shifts.

Why don't you talk to your center manager about it and see if you can work something out.

Just a little FYI

Is working at UPS you only job ?? If not you can't work more than 60 hours a week combined and need to have a 34 reset time at some point where you don't work at all. What type of work you doing doesn't matter you other job could be sitting down if you getting paid you need to count that time.