Twilight Zone

vantexan

Anyone remember the movie "Gung Ho" from the 80's? Japanese car manufacturer buys out local car plant and friction ensues between Japanese management team and Americans. George Wendt's character(Norm from Cheers)says he can't take it anymore. Michael Keaton's character says "you've got to take it." That's it in a nutshell. If you've got kids, a car, a mortgage, like to buy new things, you pretty much have got to take it. If you're young enough you should start looking into ways to break free from the grind by your 50's. You'll be surprised how soon that gets here. As you can see getting better pay doesn't guarantee happiness. What you may not know is that these older topped out couriers have been getting better pay than midrange for many years now. The company doesn't want to give you the same deal. If they aren't happy with their pay and/or circumstances how happy are you going to be having less pay for the next 20-30 years? With a minimal pension built on less pay? If you're happy with your work, great. But don't believe it'll lead to a good financial future like Falcon Back's. He got a much better deal back when the company was more generous.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I am retired while you go to a job everyday that you hate. Who has the better situation?

If you would do your job and stay off of this site, maybe you could get some work done.
What fool works hard all day? Do the least amount you can get away with.

vantexan

What fool works hard all day? Do the least amount you can get away with.
Guess I was a fool. I always looked at it as I held up my end of the deal no matter what they did. They could count on me to help and post good numbers. That got me a lot of off day OT. I can understand the frustration but I'm glad now that looking back I can say I didn't milk the clock.

FedexCares

I know this is anecdotal as it’s just a single example, but I have gotten to the point where if I have the option of shipper for anything that I order online, Fedex is who I try to avoid. As someone who still works for fedex (logistics) it’s kind of sad.

Their service in our area has been absolutely atrocious. I live on the 3rd floor of a condo unit and fedex is the only carrier that refuses to bring things to our doors. It’s always dumped at the bottom of the stairs in a completely unsecured area where people actually have to walk around it to avoid tripping to reach the stairs. It’s ridicilulous and it’s both express and ground.

I have had quite a few damaged shipments or just straight mis-deliveries, and 99% of the time these days it’s from FedEx. We have an online chat area we use as a condo community to discuss general issues and the amount of people that have issues with Fedex specifically is mind boggling. I was a courier for almost 8 years and I ALWAYS carried stuff to people’s doors even up flights of stairs and tried to place them where they wouldn’t be damaged. I’ll admit I had days where I didn’t feel like doing this, but I would think to myself I wouldn’t want someone dumping my packages i had been eagerly anticipating in random spots, so I won’t do it to other people. I’m not sure what is going on these days but I feel it’s going to catch up to Fedex eventually if this type of poor service continues. There are just more and more options out there.

falcon back

I know this is anecdotal as it’s just a single example, but I have gotten to the point where if I have the option of shipper for anything that I order online, Fedex is who I try to avoid. As someone who still works for fedex (logistics) it’s kind of sad.

Their service in our area has been absolutely atrocious. I live on the 3rd floor of a condo unit and fedex is the only carrier that refuses to bring things to our doors. It’s always dumped at the bottom of the stairs in a completely unsecured area where people actually have to walk around it to avoid tripping to reach the stairs. It’s ridicilulous and it’s both express and ground.

I have had quite a few damaged shipments or just straight mis-deliveries, and 99% of the time these days it’s from FedEx. We have an online chat area we use as a condo community to discuss general issues and the amount of people that have issues with Fedex specifically is mind boggling. I was a courier for almost 8 years and I ALWAYS carried stuff to people’s doors even up flights of stairs and tried to place them where they wouldn’t be damaged. I’ll admit I had days where I didn’t feel like doing this, but I would think to myself I wouldn’t want someone dumping my packages i had been eagerly anticipating in random spots, so I won’t do it to other people. I’m not sure what is going on these days but I feel it’s going to catch up to Fedex eventually if this type of poor service continues. There are just more and more options out there.
Try using UPS or USPS. Same issues. Every carrier has problems. UPS has had so many price increases lately, some companies have dropped them completely. Fedex has increased prices but UPS has more times recently. I order lots of parts for a classic car I am building. The main supplier I order from is using USPS because they are so much cheaper and telling customers to expect a 2 week delivery window.

FedexCares

Try using UPS or USPS. Same issues. Every carrier has problems. UPS has had so many price increases lately, some companies have dropped them completely. Fedex has increased prices but UPS has more times recently. I order lots of parts for a classic car I am building. The main supplier I order from is using USPS because they are so much cheaper and telling customers to expect a 2 week delivery window.
I have gotten a lot of stuff via both ups and Amazon’s own drivers. Both bring stuff right to the doors of everyone in our complex. Both express and ground dump stuff at the bottom of stairs everytime in everyone’s way trying to get to their apts. I have ordered a lot of stuff online during the past year and have gotten stuff from all carriers. FedEx is currently the only one I try to avoid. Not trying to crap on Fedex I work for them, I’m just giving my experience. Maybe both Fedex express/ground are both horrible in my area and others have better luck.

falcon back

I have gotten a lot of stuff via both ups and Amazon’s own drivers. Both bring stuff right to the doors of everyone in our complex. Both express and ground dump stuff at the bottom of stairs everytime in everyone’s way trying to get to their apts. I have ordered a lot of stuff online during the past year and have gotten stuff from all carriers. FedEx is currently the only one I try to avoid. Not trying to crap on Fedex I work for them, I’m just giving my experience. Maybe both Fedex express/ground are both horrible in my area and others have better luck.
Look at youtube videos of the Amazon drivers and their habits. I use them very often and am always amazed with their lack of driving skills, safety habits and overall disregard for customer service. Many are contract labor and others make less than a desirable wage, you get what you pay for.

And FedEx follows right behind them

NC man

Judging by my station ,FedEx will hire just about anyone. Lot of people don’t want to work and ones we do hire quit in a month and then the ones left only half are decent.

dmac1

Fedex is worse than Amazon around here. At least if you order on Amazon, and you don't get what you order, you get a full refund with no questions. If you are tracking a fedex package, even if it is 'on truck' it doesn't mean it will be delivered. I've had packages out for delivery with fedex, then go back to the terminal, then go to another terminal, and then even back to Memphis, and then start the trip again. The lack of continuity is a huge problem. Less turnover of drivers would pay off , but that one penny saved per millions of packages adds up for stockholders, who are the real customer of fedex. FEDEX does NOT work for the shippers- they work for ONLY the stockholder. It is capitalism taken to the extreme. At least with Amazon, most of the deliveries they are both shipper and seller, giving them a little more incentive to get it done in one delivery attempt.

dmac1

Look at youtube videos of the Amazon drivers and their habits. I use them very often and am always amazed with their lack of driving skills, safety habits and overall disregard for customer service. Many are contract labor and others make less than a desirable wage, you get what you pay for.
ALL of ground is contract labor, and I would guess are at about the same level of low wages, maybe even lower, depending on the area.

vantexan

LOL, they ALL get that way. They collectively have the easiest workload and barring something major, are immune from discipline.
With 21 total years at the company I volunteered to unload containers and did that for almost four years. We had a couple of senior 20+ year couriers working heavy rts at that station because they preferred them. Have seen that elsewhere too. It's not ALL. This from a guy who tells me my anecdotes from working at multiple stations don't mean anything but he KNOWS that ALL senior couriers are that way. Arrogant prig.