Two Killed In Crash Involving Two Semi-Trucks On Turnpike In Grady Co.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When the kids were young and one of them HAD to go to the bathroom I would do all that I could to find someplace safe to pull over but once they said they REALLY HAD to go it was pull over now or clean up later.

upschuck

When the kids were young and one of them HAD to go to the bathroom I would do all that I could to find someplace safe to pull over but once they said they REALLY HAD to go it was pull over now or clean up later.
And if someone had read ended you, would you have said it was your bad decision that caused it? I doubt you would have let them go in your new Altima.

Everyone that dies in an accident is not a result of a bad decision on their part.

upschuck

Rear end is NEVER the parked person's fault. Even if a parked vehicle is blocking traffic (didn't happen in this case) the vehicle behind has the responsibility of avoiding him.
I don't think that is true, I have always been told that tires need to be a foot or closer to curb, or it is parked vehicles fault, have I been misled?

oldngray

nowhere special
I don't think that is true, I have always been told that tires need to be a foot or closer to curb, or it is parked vehicles fault, have I been misled?

That might be up to a cop's interpretation but the vehicle behind will have responsibility of maintaining an assured clear distance. If you are stopped in the middle of the road with no lights might be a different situation.

upschuck

That might be up to a cop's interpretation but the vehicle behind will have responsibility of maintaining an assured clear distance. If you are stopped in the middle of the road with no lights might be a different situation.
While both are driving, I agree, but an improperly parked vehicle is a different story I believe.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Wouldn't a weigh station, rest area or other paved turn off be a much safer alternative?

If it was close. If not and some mechanical problem had developed he probably just took what he thought was his best alternative. I've seen plenty of semis on the shoulder just like this over the years. This one was just the result of inattention of the second rig. Sad.

CharleyHustle

Very early on in my career, I learned from a feeder driver to never put your head in between two heavy objects. Hopefully, he put out his flares or reflectors before he attempted any repairs. Maybe he has had problems like this before, and his boss has instructed him not to seek alternatives. This is certainly tragic, but hopefully we can learn from it so it doesn't happen again.

bluebiker

Hopefully someone will read this and think twice before putting themselves in to a dangerous situation from which they may not walk away.

Do you think it would be safe for a feeder driver to park a set of doubles or triples on the shoulder of the NY Thruway or NJ Turnpike?

Was he "parked" or was he on the shoulder because of breakdown?

I've had the light cord fall out of the front trailer, noticed I had no lights on the rear trailer and pulled over on the shoulder and plugged it back in. Had an air line come off a dolly in the center lane on the Cross Bronx Expressway, stopped dead with blue smoke all over. No way I could "get to a weigh station, rest area, etc.", had to jump out and put it back on and recheck it when I could pull over safely.

They are called accidents for a reason, it sounds like the FedEx driver fell asleep, and the UPS driver just happened to be in the word place at the wrong time. Sometimes you try to be as careful as you can and just slip on the ice or something. Stuff happens.