un- just disqualification

noazrk

Union Steward
I laughed when I read about you getting passed up by lower seniority people to even take the driving test. That is happening to us right now. People in my area (all have at least 5 years mostly) are being called by HR and asked to come in for a road test the next day out of the blue. Two people said they should have been given heads up 1-2 weeks before but were never contacted. HR never initiated contact with me after I heard 3-4 people under me already taking the road test and allegedly getting scheduled for a class. I finally signed the paper accepting the FT job and was promised I would be called when HR knew the schedule next week. Nobody called me on Friday, my guess is they will call me on Monday or Tuesday asking me if I can come in to take the road test 1 hour or less before the test! My biggest peeve in our hub is POOR COMMUNICATION. It's mind boggling how unorganized this billion $ company is! HR keeps telling me "don't worry about it, you are a ways down the list to even take the class. We are just lining things up for people who pass the driving test" Yet on the other hand I keep hearing someone appx. 15-20 names below me is already penciled in for a class in 4-5 weeks? I'm still waiting to verify what is reality vs. rumors but I'm not going to just sit back and wait for a phone call that SHOULD happen but may not! You have to REALLY keep tabs on things around here when you are close to being called up for another position. On the plus side, here in Arizona we are hiring a lot of drivers right now so it's crazy times for the hub workers and HR.

noazrk

Union Steward
Btw, my favorite email was an HR rep emailing me at 1:26pm last Friday asking if I could make it in at 1:00pm for the driving test! If I had the power to go back in time I wouldn't need to work here ;-) I know HR is overwhelmed right now but still, things are not being done correctly in an organized matter with proper communication. Just the facts Jack!

tiredofbrown123

well they prob dont like you. i file a lot of grievances so i know they dont like me. if your on the list and they pass you then i would assume you could sue the hell out of them. make a copy of the list when you sign it

well they prob dont like you. i file a lot of grievances so i know they dont like me. if your on the list and they pass you then i would assume you could sue the hell out of them. make a copy of the list when you sign it

Well here's the reason you got DQ'd. You said you were leaving at 3:15 and you still haven't found the door so obviously you couldn't handle a route.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They will not dq you if you had done a good job and did what you were suppose to do. Do you think that they want to spend all that money training you, and after your training say no because you didn't air drive or temp drive? That is ridiculous. On the contrary, if you were running under, that shows how good you are being able to learn all that, and still do a good job.
We have a sup that I can tell you feels like his job is to show how everyone is a failure. No interest in helping anyone become better.

If they don't feel the OP is a good employee and plans on sitting down after his 30 days I could totally see them DQ him.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Unjustly DQ'd language isn't in any contract. You just don't get it they can DQ you for any reason or lack of reason they want and there is little the union can do since it was in your 30 days probation period.
All depends on how big a set your BA has.

UPSGUY72

I knew there was more to your story. Why do you file a lot of grievances ? Are your always in trouble ?

I would have thought that if your like to file grievance you would have at least read the contract...

Overpaid Union Thug

If the OP told us everything there is to know about his situation then I'd say he is totally justified in feeling like he was screwed. It sounds to me like the missing package was planted by someone. We'll never know who but it was probably a driver on one of the trucks loaded next to the OPs on the dock. We had that problem in my center. A driver (usually a lunch skipping, running and gunning, selfish bonus baby) in a truck thats loaded next to the OP's probably found the missing package in his load and instead of scanning it immediately (which is what we are ALL supposed to do) he decided to bring it back to the center and hide it. Usually these selfish turds will hide them in one of many places like in their send agains, pickup pieces, or under the belt, but the vilest of these jerks will go as far as placing the misload back onto the truck they were supposed to be on if that truck is already back on dock when they arrive. It's happened to me before.

So, first we all have to waste time and sweat digging for these missing packages because of these jerks. Then the next day we are accused of bringing the missing package without a scan. After a few of these occurrences I decided to grab the first supervisor and first hourly person I saw back at the building if I had been missing pieces on my truck. I'd have them look in my truck so I'd have witnesses in case one of those jerks were up to no good again.

Having said that......I don't doubt that it's a real possibility that a supervisor planted the package on the OP's truck. In fact, I'd say it's almost as possible as another driver having done it.

tiredofbrown123

If the OP told us everything there is to know about his situation then I'd say he is totally justified in feeling like he was screwed. It sounds to me like the missing package was planted by someone. We'll never know who but it was probably a driver on one of the trucks loaded next to the OPs on the dock. We had that problem in my center. A driver (usually a lunch skipping, running and gunning, selfish bonus baby) in a truck thats loaded next to the OP's probably found the missing package in his load and instead of scanning it immediately (which is what we are ALL supposed to do) he decided to bring it back to the center and hide it. Usually these selfish turds will hide them in one of many places like in their send agains, pickup pieces, or under the belt, but the vilest of these jerks will go as far as placing the misload back onto the truck they were supposed to be on if that truck is already back on dock when they arrive. It's happened to me before.
So, first we all have to waste time and sweat digging for these missing packages because of these jerks. Then the next day we are accused of bringing the missing package without a scan. After a few of these occurrences I decided to grab the first supervisor and first hourly person I saw back at the building if I had been missing pieces on my truck. I'd have them look in my truck so I'd have witnesses in case one of those jerks were up to no good again.
Having said that......I don't doubt that it's a real possibility that a supervisor planted the package on the OP's truck. In fact, I'd say it's almost as possible as another driver having done it.
im pretty sure it was an on car sup. i got a text last night that a guy overheard some things he's willing to put in writing. could clear this all up.

ajax25

awesome. but that doesnt have any thing to do with why they didnt qualify me. they couldnt disqualify me because i didnt do a good job . that never even came up. if that were the case thats what they wouldve said. read the first part. also, did you ever drive air or temp drive? i never did. i didnt even know how to work the diad until a month ago. and 188 stops? geez. thats a lot. i usually had 110. maybe your area is different. must have a lot of stops close together unless your days were planned at 14 hours.

I didn't say any of that to attack you and I would never judge you or your situation because I obviously don't know you nor was I there to see all of this go down. I was just sharing my experience, hope things work out for ya man

Sent using BrownCafe App

noazrk

Union Steward
Me personally, I've been with UPS almost 7 years and have only filed two grievances (both at the same time against same supervisor). Sure, I've seen stuff that CAN be grieved like supervisors sorting for an hour on the sort aisle but since most sorters want to get out asap I prefer not to rock the boat unless I feel it's the last resort. One thing nobody mentioned about getting screwed/DQ'd from the 30 days probationary period is HOW would full-time supervisors even know who you are as a part-time hub worker? Once I pass the road test and the class, I'll get assigned to an area and these guys have no clue who I am. All they would know is 1. How I did on the road test 2. How I did in the class 3. What my attendance record is. I guess they could ask the building supervisor about me but most likely they're too busy for that and would just pass judgement about me from the short time I spend in their area and how I do. Unless it's a small hub and word gets around, these guys are too busy with their own job. Also, in our hub PT hub workers work from 5:30pm to 4am while FT driver workers/supes are there from 5:30am-7:00pm. They barely see us.

S

selfcancelsignal

If you come in, keep your mouth shut, & do your job, they'll help you try to advance. If you're a POS in any way (attitude, work ethic & etc.), they'd rather see an outside guy come in & drive than a part timer. Seen it a lot in our center of late, & I haven't even been there 2 years yet.

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.