Unable to see my paychek

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Waste of time and resources?

Do you save them all for a year and then discard them when you receive your W-2?
As someone who openly admits to caring only about themselves, why are you concerned if it's a waste of time for the company or not, it doesn't cost you a thing. And yes, I keep every stub in a pile and toss them at the end of the year, sans my last one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Toss them or shred them?

Payroll has all of the data on a computer (cloud?). They then have to take the extra steps to print them out and then sort them out by region/district.

You're right---I do only care about myself---but it still troubles me when I see redundancy.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
And you also realize that a paper check never "goes down" unexpectedly? Feel free to search the threads about "I can't log on to see my check; I can't get on UPSers.com at all". I'm also trying to think of one single con to having it physically in my hand.

I can: it's wasteful. Every Friday, oodles of pay stubs are dumped in the trash -- including many that were never opened. Including seasonal employees, UPS issues close to 20M pay cheks per year. How many bags of trash would that fill? That's not even considering the impact of wasted ink. (I'm less concerned about paper, since most paper comes from paper mills and is actually good for the environment ... recycling paper may not be such a hot idea, given the resources poured into the process.)

We have several computer terminals set-up so employees can view & (if they desire) print their paychecks from on-line. I'm always amazed at the number of people lining up (you can view the information from home, you know!) to access such information, then print it, then beg for their stub the next day. It really is a waste. Especially considering the percentage of UPS employees who know the finite details of their actual working hours is small; most simply look at the net take home portion and quickly toss it out.

For the record, while the act of terminating paper paychecks / stubs would save UPS probably close to $75-$100M annually, I do not care about the cost savings. I'm more worried about my enviromental impact.

texan

I was wanting to see how much the government gleened from me.

Almost 1,000.00 Sigh

Why does UPS tax at the max amount for the unused PD days
for us non-management?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Toss them or shred them?

Payroll has all of the data on a computer (cloud?). They then have to take the extra steps to print them out and then sort them out by region/district.

You're right---I do only care about myself---but it still troubles me when I see redundancy.

Yet they charge employees a fee to subtract garnishments from their checks, as discussed in another thread. If the company was losing money or felt the need to charge to have a physical copy, I'd address wether or not is continue receiving it. But as of now they don't, so I'll continue. As far as my stubs, I burn them in my fire pit, along with any other sensitive paperwork from the year I feel I no longer need to hold onto.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't track my hours down to the hundredth but do have a general idea of how many hours I have worked for that pay period. I go to upsers each Thursday morning, check my online paystub and then update my Quicken. If there is an error, and I can count on one hand the number of payroll errors I have had in my 25 years, I print it out, highlight the error(s) and submit it to my mgt team so they can take care of it.

Bagels is right----it is a tremendous waste of time and resources.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I can: it's wasteful. Every Friday, oodles of pay stubs are dumped in the trash -- including many that were never opened. Including seasonal employees, UPS issues close to 20M pay cheks per year. How many bags of trash would that fill? That's not even considering the impact of wasted ink. (I'm less concerned about paper, since most paper comes from paper mills and is actually good for the environment ... recycling paper may not be such a hot idea, given the resources poured into the process.)

We have several computer terminals set-up so employees can view & (if they desire) print their paychecks from on-line. I'm always amazed at the number of people lining up (you can view the information from home, you know!) to access such information, then print it, then beg for their stub the next day. It really is a waste. Especially considering the percentage of UPS employees who know the finite details of their actual working hours is small; most simply look at the net take home portion and quickly toss it out.

For the record, while the act of terminating paper paychecks / stubs would save UPS probably close to $75-$100M annually, I do not care about the cost savings. I'm more worried about my enviromental impact.
Environmentally speaking, there are a lot more ways UPS could do better in, checks would be waaaaay down on the list.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I was wanting to see how much the government gleened from me.
Almost 1,000.00 Sigh
Why does UPS tax at the max amount for the unused PD days
for us non-management?

It isn't. It's because UPS and ADP have no idea what your tax liability will be, thus your withholdings are based on scales that take into consideration your gross earnings & exemptions. In your situation, your were paid your regular wage + received a cash out for unused time off; UPS/ADP bases your withholdings on the entire amount. For example, if you usually earn $2000 per week, your withholdings will be based on somebody who earns $104,000 per year. But if the cash-out increased your pay to $4000, your withholdings will be based as if you earned $208,000 per year. If you worked one day (and called in the other four, but did not receive sick pay) and earned $400, your withholdings will be treated as if you earn $20,800 per year. This is more-or-less the laziness of the payroll system, although it's universally true (for the most part) of all employers.

20% of my annual income is earned in the final 4-5 weeks of the year, and my withholdings those weeks are based as if I make about $80K per year. But I'd be lucky to get to $30K, thus I increase my exemptions, so I pocket more money during the year (why let Uncle Sam get an interest-free loan) and smaller refund check the following year. If my tax liability were calculated Jan-mid Nov, I'd owe a large chunk of change. But I usually get a small amount back, because of year-end withholdings.

The good news is that when you file your taxes, and you can do so in just a few weeks, you'll get it back.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Environmentally speaking, there are a lot more ways UPS could do better in, checks would be waaaaay down on the list.

It's got nothing to do with UPS. YOU have a choice in receiving a paper paycheck or not -- the choice is not UPS's. It's about reducing YOUR environmental impact, not UPS's.

over9five

Staff member
upload_2013-12-15_16-38-35.jpeg

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I can: it's wasteful. Every Friday, oodles of pay stubs are dumped in the trash -- including many that were never opened. Including seasonal employees, UPS issues close to 20M pay cheks per year. How many bags of trash would that fill? That's not even considering the impact of wasted ink. (I'm less concerned about paper, since most paper comes from paper mills and is actually good for the environment ... recycling paper may not be such a hot idea, given the resources poured into the process.).
Take the initiative to help people who don't want it, cancel it. Unfortunately, around here, mgmnt is unable to communicate this as a simple option to employees. Apparently we employees are only to be issued orders/commands.
That's what the co. promised here. Sounded great, eco-friendly, etc. But the printer would mysteriously "not be found", paper supply run out, door to computer room 'accidentally' locked. Etc.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I don't track my hours down to the hundredth but do have a general idea of how many hours I have worked for that pay period. I go to upsers each Thursday morning, check my online paystub and then update my Quicken. If there is an error, and I can count on one hand the number of payroll errors I have had in my 25 years, I print it out, highlight the error(s) and submit it to my mgt team so they can take care of it.

Bagels is right----it is a tremendous waste of time and resources.
I can count on one hand the number of payroll errors I have, in a week. Usually 4 out of 5 days.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I guess those beyond Generation X have a difficult time adapting to technological advances. Kinda like when direct deposit first came and simplified our lives, yet many felt it was the end of the world.