Unauthorized leave of absence

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Also, state and federal law can come into play. No slam dunk but I would consider testing the water, if the OPs story is true. However there are mixed results in the courts with those claims.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Hey guys I’ve been really sick and have called in every day to let mngmt know I won’t be in. They sent me a letter supposedly saying I have an unauthorized leave of absence and that I need to return to work or provide a doctors note. I talked to my sup and center manager about this over the phone and he/they told I need to have a doctors note when I come back. So I have one.. I was just notified 2 days ago that they fired me because apparently they also sent a termination letter to me but I didn’t not get the mail for any of them or even know about them. It’s been ten days since then and I didn’t file a grievance. But they also before the ten days were up already paid me out for vacation and sick time like I was already of the books with HR before the 10 day grievance window ended. I don’t even have a warning letter on file yet. Can they send me a termination letter and have it stick if this is the case?? I always thought it was progressive discipline. Or am I screwed and totally fired??? Do they have to hand the term letter to me in person?? Or can they just send it in the mail and not say anything to me at all in hopes that I don’t see it and they can fire me instantly???
In our hub they would have to send a certified letter and you had to sign for it.

plus we had 45 days to file a grievance. If you DID call in everyday I am wondering why they did not tell you about the dr's note over the phone also.

they must really want you gone for some reason. Talk to your BA in person , not a stew

ManInBrown

I have a medical condition. That’s really all I want to divulge. Just looking for answers and knowledgeable people that can help. If you know something I don’t please let me know.
If you have a medical condition why didnt you file for FLMA. I just found this out the other day from a driver who has some type of illness that pops up randomly, but apparently you can file and they give you a set number of days and you can use them whenever you want. Company cant do jack sheet about it

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If you have a medical condition why didnt you file for FLMA. I just found this out the other day from a driver who has some type of illness that pops up randomly, but apparently you can file and they give you a set number of days and you can use them whenever you want. Company cant do jack sheet about it

It flairs up the worst between thanksgiving and Christmas

Good to know but how many people know their options under FLMA? I've been here 42 years and have no idea of how to go about applying.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
@Big union guy
10 working days, or 10 calander days?

In the Central....

"It shall be the responsibility of the employee to reduce the grievance to writing on the regular grievance form provided by the union and have it submitted to the company within five (5) working days.

Upon proper notification by the Employer to discipline an employee, the employee shall have ten (10) calendar days to file a grievance in protest of the discipline taken."