Underdispatched yet again...

UPSmeoff

this makes day 4. My route dumps off completely the day after christmas.
I has been nice having easy slacker days though.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPSmeoff,

Consider yourself lucky and enjoy it while you can. My route has been overdispatched all week. Preload crammed two hundred in my car Thursday, I got to pull off forty to a split. Finally got down to normal today, pulled off fifteen, perfect eight hour day with 135 on a sunny sixty degree day.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Most drivers here are working 10-11 hour days again. Most splits cut and some regular routes. Cant have any under 8's.

d

UPSmeoff

Ill have to wait until the college kids come back to town after break for my resis. to pick back up.
Those kids sure love urban outfitters, the gap, old navy, bannana republic, and the list goes on.
I wonder if their parents know how much they spend on clothes?

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
We are the lucky one's, we are supposed to call in by 2:00 pm if we think we are going to be over 9.5. No one is permitted over 10 without permission so they have 3 hours to get you help. How long will this last?

xracer

In our center it is still operation normal to be sent out with a 10+ hour day and we are told that under no circumstances are we allowed to go over 12 hours and to sheet packages as missed if necessary..

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
What happened to the planed day, now they want you to tell them what your plan is? How funny. What are they paying all the guys at IE for? And your management team and the preload. And then of course there is PAS. Why is it with all those people that are responsible for seeing to it they know how much work we have, it always falls back on the driver to let them know after the day is 3/4 gone.

d

tieguy

Banned
Good question. Another question i have is with some of you running late this time of the year. Is everyone running that late or is it a poor dispatch plan where some are and others are not?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie

Cant speak for the rest, but here we have maybe 10% getting in under 9.5 with some even at 8 hours. But the majority are over 9-10 or more hours each and every day

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
UPSMEOFF, you are lucky. I have had over 100 delivery stops per day and 5 more PU stops than before, and 30 more businesses than at peak. I only need 85 even now with the new standards to have 8 hrs on paper, but yesterday I had 112. But we deliver Ohio Lottery now so that accounted for about 20 of the stops. I sure dont have a problem with a heavy day now and then, I just hope they get it down during the summer this year. Sure is nice to get home at 6ish once in awhile.

UPSmeoff

I was in Ohio for christmas. Back to 'the bus'. Toon i hope they can get it worked out for you. My route wont be easy for long, maybe 1 more week.

S

speeddemon

Tie, in our center, the planned day is a joke. What plans 8.25 on paper will take a driver 9.5 or over to get it done. Whats worse is my center manager knows this but his hands are tied because hes has to try to get his numbers to please birmingham. Its a really crappy situation.

wornoutupser

Hi Tooner!
I hope that Ohio Lotto tickets scan better than the Florida tickets do.
Almost half of ours have to be keyed by hand- Customer Service told us to get used to it, they are too large of an account to bother about fixing this!
All they need to do is clean their printer once in a while.....

UPSmeoff

• For some reason i have trouble with staples pkgs, which i think is ironic that its mostly toner cartridges. You would think that staples of all places would have a decent printer.

pkgdriver

yep on the bar codes not scanning right out of the printer. A little bit of time making sure the largest accts scan would do wonders. 5 min a driver a day x 80 dispatched in my center=$$$ plus the others that it affects also. Ive had days where up to 22-23% of delivery pkgs wont scan. 70-80% are bad right out of printer.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Many of them are not short of ink, but instead are dirty. Cleaning the printer head would do wonders. But then again, that would take time, and we cant ask our customer to stop shipping while they clean the printer just to satisfy us now could we?

The driver cost is one failure, the inability to scan the package through the system is another. What good does it do to promise that you can track the package from point A to B when the system can not scan the bar code until it gets to point B.

But then again, since we have so many people placing new bar codes on packages, and sometimes 6-11 or more on the same package, why cant we get them to pull off those that can not be scanned and print a new bar code.

Heck, sorry, I know why, it makes sense, thats why they don't do it.

d

DS

Fenderbender
Why dont you talk to the store manager?
Or get the clerk to let the appropriate shipper
know they need a new printer...