Unexcused absence.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is typical ups management kick the can down the road style.

We had a center manager reem us once to schedule all of our doctors and dentist appointments on our time off blah blah blah. A 30 driver had called in for an annual checkup and a sup was having to drive a route.

I talked to the driver a few weeks later. He had already canceled twice because ups said they had to have him. A 3rd cancel meant having to find a new doctor.

iowa boy

I've never set up my DOT appointment. Management always has.

Same here. I get the paper that says I have a physical on such and such day at 8 am. If I am not back to the building by our start time, (which usually is 9 am), I start getting paid to sit in the Dr's office.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have to get ours on our own time also. But before we go we have to go to the center and print out the paperwork. There is only one office we can go to for our physical.

We print the paperwork out at home and schedule our own physicals. I try to do it when I either have a day off or am on vacation.

barnyard

KTM rider
You don't coordinate it with the center? Here the OMS schedules it, you get paid for it, and the invoice gets sent to the company.

This is the way my center used to do it. Although, we never got paid. Usually, the OMS would schedule it for the 1st appointment the office had so that we could work after the physical. We also used to get the option of taking an unpaid day and doing it a little later in the day.

My last physical, I did it the way the wellness stuff suggests. My blood pressure was normal and everything was wonderful.

I suspect that the OP will get a stern talking to and possibly a vigorous finger wag and that should be that.

When your boss asks where you were, "I was at the Doctor's office."

Re-Raise

Same here. I get the paper that says I have a physical on such and such day at 8 am. If I am not back to the building by our start time, (which usually is 9 am), I start getting paid to sit in the Dr's office.
I hate sitting there knowing a have a route with air and other commit times waiting for me. I do it on a day that I am off work.

UPSGUY72

So my DOT physical expires this Friday, and me trying to do the right thing spent 3 hours of my Saturday looking for a place to get my physical. I tried 5 places, they were either closed, didnt have a qualified doctor on hand, or simply didnt do DOT physicals. As such, I knew I needed to call in one day this week to get my physical completed. So, I called in today, Monday, in order to get this job requirement finished. My reasoning is that Monday is usually the lightest day of the week... Not long after calling in, my sup called and then texted me saying he needed me today. Unfortunately for him, I am not glued to my cell phone and didnt see his missed call or text until 9am, already after start time. By this time he had texted me to tell me that my absence will be unexcused. I dont even know what this means to me in terms of discipline. I was given 2 sick days this year as Ive only got 22 months of seniority, and used both days. I have called in maybe 2 times, one for sickness and this for the DOT physical. What sort of BS should I be expecting when I go in tomorrow?

I see a lot of posting about whether the supervisors see you as a good or bad employee, and I know that he likes me and is happy with my job performance.

When you got the paper work from work for you DOT physical they should have gave you a list of places that give them... Them you schedule it for first thing in the morning before work. If you a little late to work they aren't going to do anything as you getting your physical... and you get paid for it...

rod

Retired 22 years
Has the contract changed that much? The company always set up our appointments for our physicals. There was even a time when the drivers refused to go to a certain doctor because he enjoyed giving prostrate exams a little too much. The center manager changed doctors for us. I was paid for every physical I took for 30 years. it used to be in the contract that if a physical was scheduled during your normal working hours you got paid for it. Our local clinic didn't give physicals on Saturdays and wouldn't take appointments before 9 a.m. so all physicals were on the clock. Nobody in their right mind would take a day off or use their vacation time to take a physical.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Has the contract changed that much? The company always set up our appointments for our physicals. There was even a time when the drivers refused to go to a certain doctor because he enjoyed giving prostrate exams a little too much. The center manager changed doctors for us. I was paid for every physical I took for 30 years. it used to be in the contract that if a physical was scheduled during your normal working hours you got paid for it. Our local clinic didn't give physicals on Saturdays and wouldn't take appointments before 9 a.m. so all physicals were on the clock. Nobody in their right mind would take a day off or use their vacation time to take a physical.
This area seems to be in the minority. I know we pay our guys during their physicals. But I for the life of me can't remember the code off the top of my head.

moldsporh

Well, you had 2 years notice to set your appointment.

If you're having blood pressure issues, I would strongly recommend....

Eat fruit smoothies for a week prior, no salty foods, ie, pizza, chinese, most frozen tv dinners.

Get all the sleep you can the week prior, set your appointment for mid afternoon, leave your cell phone in the car.

Read a magazine in the waiting room.

It's amazing how your BP can fluctuate, if it's low, then naturally it will fluctuate around the lower values but if it's borderline.....then you need to do what you can to keep it in check.

UPSGUY72

we gotta get our paperwork from Upsers, and have to do the physical on our own time here

We do it on are own time also but we still get paid 2 hrs for it even though it take less than 1. I got the paper work online before and they give you a list of places to get it done....