Unfilled combo jobs

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Please everyone now that bids are over, keep a watchful eye on the bid lists for any unfilled combo jobs; mostly those that are Tues-Sat are left open.Tell every P/T you can find, to ask Mgt about filling those jobs.
I saw one opening available in my building and told the P/Ts about it. The posting went up last week and several have signed up.
Do not let these unfilled combo disappear.

cino321

Its funny there are like 5 new 22.3 combo jobs opening up in my building because PAS is coming in May, and I understand that there will be more 22.3 and regular full time inside jobs coming because of it.

Overpaid Union Thug

I wish we had more combo jobs. We have allot of drivers that would be better off working full-time inside or air/inside. We have a bunch of drivers that take days off every week and complain about working so much and I've always wondered why they ever accepted full-time driving jobs in the first place. Many wish they had stayed part-time.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My concern with starting this thread that combo Tues-Sat jobs would be filled.
Any P/T out there please note : Since these jobs were not filled in the last bid process , no one wanted them , by taking one there is a good chance you will never be bumped from them. This is a good place to build up some seniority. Also note those with current high P/T rates you might have to take a paycut, but you'll be getting 40hrs weekly.

When I was a P/T air driver I lived by the rule of thumb....Feast or famine meaning each work week was either one ( in the term of hours ).

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Depends
inside / outside = two rates
inside / inside = one rate
remember with any combo job mgt can ( usually will ) be able to change 50% of any job.

this is what says in my local supplement:

SECTION 3-combination jobs

Employees may be required to work in more than one (1) classification during their working hours of any day, but in such event shall be paid for the entire day at the hourly rate of the highest job classification worked, except for utility drivers.

If the combo job is inside/outside then should the driver be paid at the highest rate all day according to the passage above? I don't see how they can put unload/ driving in the same classification. I know the two rate thing in the nation masters, but the local supplement should be effect in this case. My buddy's being paid the two rate since he took the 22 job 2 years ago, i'm just wondering if he should get paid one rate according to above.

J

JonFrum

this is what says in my local supplement:

SECTION 3-combination jobs

Employees may be required to work in more than one (1) classification during their working hours of any day, but in such event shall be paid for the entire day at the hourly rate of the highest job classification worked, except for utility drivers.

If the combo job is inside/outside then should the driver be paid at the highest rate all day according to the passage above? I don't see how they can put unload/ driving in the same classification. I know the two rate thing in the nation masters, but the local supplement should be effect in this case. My buddy's being paid the two rate since he took the 22 job 2 years ago, i'm just wondering if he should get paid one rate according to above.

MR_Vengeance,

You don't say what Supplement you are quoting, or what Article, but my New England Supplement has similar language. If you work in a higher pay category for part of the day, you get the higher rate all day.

Unfortunately, this language does not apply to split-rate Article 22.3 jobs or to any jobs that involve Air Driving under Article 40. The Article 22.3 jobs and the entire Article 40 Air Operation are concessions the Union made to the Company. They contain substandard language and superseed the better (and older) language in our Supplements.

Even though the Contract specifically says the better language, be it in the Master or the Supplement, shall prevail, nevertheless, the inferior language prevails in jobs involving Articles 22.3 and 40. Sounds crazy, doesn't it?

Why people vote "Yes" for these concessions and contradictions in Contract after Contract is a mystery to me.