Union dues amount different every week

TheKid

You pay the same rate because you get the same benefits....at least in my local. My dues are $90.00 per month.....3x my hourly rate.

abc123

I make $10/hour and am guaranteed 17.5 hours. So, $175x4=$700/month. I pay $25 per month in union dues. That is 3.5% of my pay. A driver who makes $30/hour is guaranteed 40 hours/week so 30x40=1200x4=$4800/month. They pay $75 per month. That is 1.6% of their pay. Once again it's not a lot, so I don't really care, I just don't understand why it's not proportionate.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I paid 47/mo PT , then it went up to 49/mo. I went FT and dues here in NE have always been 66, even when I was in progression 2006-2008.

P.S. not every driver or FT person makes 30/hr. Some are in progression, some 22.3, some covers make a different rate in regions, casuals... etc.

TheKid

I make $10/hour and am guaranteed 17.5 hours. So, $175x4=$700/month. I pay $25 per month in union dues. That is 3.5% of my pay. A driver who makes $30/hour is guaranteed 40 hours/week so 30x40=1200x4=$4800/month. They pay $75 per month. That is 1.6% of their pay. Once again it's not a lot, so I don't really care, I just don't understand why it's not proportionate.

Because you are not "earning " as much for the union. Basically, I am paying for you.

JonFrum

Abc, you need to call/email/write your Local Union dues department for the correct formula for your dues and the deduction schedule. Your first few regular dues payments may have been high because of a requirement to be paid up in advance. Something like that is good to know, so when you leave UPS and get a withdrawal card from the union, you can ask for a refund of those dues.
Having said that, $22/mo sounds about right. HERE, we have a minimum flat rate of $22 + $4(special assessment)=$26/mo, until your hourly rate reaches $11/hour. At that point the 2.5x formula starts.
A Withdrawal Card stops you from being obligated to pay dues from that point foreward. It doesn't get you a refund of previously paid dues.
I paid 47/mo PT , then it went up to 49/mo. I went FT and dues here in NE have always been 66, even when I was in progression 2006-2008.

P.S. not every driver or FT person makes 30/hr. Some are in progression, some 22.3, some covers make a different rate in regions, casuals... etc.
Maybe full-time dues in your Local have been $66, but every Local is entitled to charge more than the minimum 2.5 times your hourly pay rate, and many do. My Local, close to yours, charges $42 part-time and $90 full-time, with high-seniority part-timers paying the full-time dues rate. Part-time Initiation Fee is $200; Full-time is $500. Maybe your dues are less because you have really high Initiation Fees?

greivinarticles

is this really different in every state here in FL our union dues are half our hourly rate each week (I.E. $10 an hour is $5 union dues a week $11 an hour would be $5.50 a week.
just simply call your local and have them explain it to you

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Abc, you need to call/email/write your Local Union dues department for the correct formula for your dues and the deduction schedule. Your first few regular dues payments may have been high because of a requirement to be paid up in advance. Something like that is good to know, so when you leave UPS and get a withdrawal card from the union, you can ask for a refund of those dues.
Having said that, $22/mo sounds about right. HERE, we have a minimum flat rate of $22 + $4(special assessment)=$26/mo, until your hourly rate reaches $11/hour. At that point the 2.5x formula starts.

A Withdrawal Card stops you from being obligated to pay dues from that point foreward. It doesn't get you a refund of previously paid dues.

Here, dues are deducted on a schedule to be paid up 3 months in advance. Payments this month (October 2010) cover hours worked in January 2011. When my employment terminates this month, I will certainly seek reimbursement of dues paid for months I will not work (Nov &.Dec 2010, Jan 2011). Unless, of course, I seek reinstatement through the grievance process.

Kevin211

I believe that if you make less then 11.00 an hour your dues are a flat 25.00 a month if over 11.00 then it's 2.5'x. You will have to check the International by-laws and constitution for clarifacation. But i did see it in there....going to bed or i would give you all the info.

Where in Pa are you?

If there is any on from Parsippany here they can tell you because they have a notice hanging about this on there bulletten board.

FAVREFAN

My point exactly.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My point exactly.

What about face value of health/dental benefits? Are yours "proportionately" valued at 1/2 or 1/3 of a drivers value as well? If not they should be - and your dues should be as well. Does that sound better?

PT's have the better deal, they get $1000/mo health and dental value while being able to persue whatever they want for lucrative careers. Believe me I've done both, and PT is the better deal and I fully regret going FT.

abc123

What about face value of health/dental benefits? Are yours "proportionately" valued at 1/2 or 1/3 of a drivers value as well? If not they should be - and your dues should be as well. Does that sound better?

PT's have the better deal, they get $1000/mo health and dental value while being able to persue whatever they want for lucrative careers. Believe me I've done both, and PT is the better deal and I fully regret going FT.

Good point, except I wish I could opt out of the health benefits for higher pay. Being a full-time college student, I'm eligible to be on my dad's health insurance and my mom's health insurance. However, I do get $3000/year for tuition money, so maybe that evens it out?

abc123

With my issue, I concluded that I was paying back dues. I transferred and didn't join the union until 3 months after I started. I used to live in a right to work state, but the state I live and work in now is not. Your issue sounds different, though. I'd take the pay stubs to your steward and maybe the center manager. Maybe it's just a payroll error.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Good point, except I wish I could opt out of the health benefits for higher pay. Being a full-time college student, I'm eligible to be on my dad's health insurance and my mom's health insurance. However, I do get $3000/year for tuition money, so maybe that evens it out?

Yeah, a two-tiered pay scale would make sense. However, the union preaches solidarity and one thing less-than-solid would be some bright-eyed 20 year old starting at making $20/hr while a 40 year old w/ family starts at $10.