Union Dues

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Nope.
I figured out what happened, over a year ago, someone somewhere screwed up and I had not been paying union dues, so I told 2 stewards about it and they assured me that they would fix it. They apparently never did and I have not been paying dues since. I have been paying back the dues I owe from the past year.

Now a new problem arises, I might have a hearing coming up and if I get fired, what will happen to the dues I still owe? Will the union try to get the back dues I owe them after the fact? Also, will I get representation for the hearing if I owe the union money?

One more question, will I have to pay initiation fees again? or just the back dues?

Initiation fees are only paid once. The only way you would have to continue paying dues after terminated is if you got another teamster job. You will be represented.

Fullhouse

Make a written request to your Executive Board and ask them to relieve you of your past dues obligations. Remember to write down the circumstances surrounding the reasons why you became delinquent.
Remember E Boards meet once a month. Check your union bulletin board for the date and make sure you mail your request at least one week before the E Board meeting. If your late they will not address your request until the next monthly E Board meeting. Good luck!

MikeWhite614

We're you out any length of time due an injury or FMLA? Sounds like to me they are trying to catch you up. The amount of dues is cited in the teamster constitution and can only be change during a convention that takes place every 5 years. For those of us that have been UPS since the 90 ' will remember the dues increase in 2001 from 2% to 2.5%. Courtesy of Hoffa and Keegle.

It's actually 2.5 times your hourly rate, not 2.5%.
If you make $20 an hour it would be.
20 x 2.5 = $50
2.5% Would be.
20 x 0.025 = $0.50

But I would rather pay 2.5%. ;)

Make a written request to your Executive Board and ask them to relieve you of your past dues obligations. Remember to write down the circumstances surrounding the reasons why you became delinquent.
Remember E Boards meet once a month. Check your union bulletin board for the date and make sure you mail your request at least one week before the E Board meeting. If your late they will not address your request until the next monthly E Board meeting. Good luck!

This is very useful information, if I don't get terminated, I will consider this thank you.

MikeWhite614

Thanks for the correction there MikeWhite614!
So I reread my post and I realized I might have came off as sarcastic or rude and I am sorry if I offended you, this was not my intention.

I never understood why the equation for union dues is this way, if you think about it, this benefits the full timers and drivers and screws the part timers.

If you have a full time employee getting 8 hours a day and $20 an hour and a part time employee getting 4 hours a day and the same hourly rate. They would both owe $50 for union dues, even though the full timer would be making double the yearly salary compared to the part timer.

To me, it would seem more fair to pay a percentage of the money you made that month, this way the more hours you work, the more money you make and the more you would owe the union.

I can't say this surprises me though.

Satuirus2000

So I reread my post and I realized I might have came off as sarcastic or rude and I am sorry if I offended you, this was not my intention.

I never understood why the equation for union dues is this way, if you think about it, this benefits the full timers and drivers and screws the part timers.

If you have a full time employee getting 8 hours a day and $20 an hour and a part time employee getting 4 hours a day and the same hourly rate. They would both owe $50 for union dues, even though the full timer would be making double the yearly salary compared to the part timer.

To me, it would seem more fair to pay a percentage of the money you made that month, this way the more hours you work, the more money you make and the more you would owe the union.

I can't say this surprises me though.

Maybe your local needs to look into that. I know here in local 89 the part timers aren't required to pay 2.5% of their pay in union dues. I think we have some kind of hardship clause or something. Anyway, we pay less. A few years ago they DID enforce the 2.5% rule and pissed off a lot of part timers who couldn't afford it. But they eventually reverted it back to the lesser rate. There were a lot of politics involved so I don't remember all the exact circumstances, but it is possible for locals to not have to adhere to the 2.5% rule. Have your union look into it.