Union Politics - Tim S for General President 2016

Actually Tim flew to Madison, Wisconsin in Feb 2011, to join the huge anti-Walker protest. Believe me if Tim was a pro-corporate Repub, he certainly would NOT have my support.
Did you eat lots of fried cheese? How much of that do you think you could eat? You ever watch that Nathan's hot dog eating contest?

Inthegame

Did he do that, on his "own time and dime" ?

If he didn't.... that could be a problem.

-Bug-
Could be, but it shouldn't, and I can't help but wonder if this would be an issue if Sylvester wasn't running for GP? I know I saw Hoffa's pic in Madison, and Ohio, and California...

I'm sure the GP has the right (and responsibility) to travel wherever labor issues arise on the Teamsters dime. Our locals guys were (as I suspect yours were) asked to join union busting protests in Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana, and many did. Should those activities all be on their "own time and dime"?

I think any Teamster leader should be allowed to support other Teamsters being attacked and the costs incurred should be covered by their locals treasury as it definitely has a union purpose. Now whether a protest march qualifies as aiding the union cause or having a bona fide union purpose I'll leave to the brighter posters for discussion, if we can tear ourselves away from the hot topic of Sylvester's diet.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm sure the GP has the right (and responsibility) to travel wherever labor issues arise on the Teamsters dime.

It's (really) an IBT constitutional requirement.

I can't help but wonder if this would be an issue if Sylvester wasn't running for GP?

If it is "sanctioned" by the IBT (and requested).... any (reasonable) expenses are allowed.

Our locals guys were (as I suspect yours were) asked to join union busting protests in Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana, and many did. Should those activities all be on their "own time and dime"?

As long as there is a "documented purpose" for elected officials to be involved....

It's no problem.

All Locals are audited by the IBT, every 5 years.

I had to repay my Local .42¢

For overpaying (tipping) .... on a cup of coffee.

-Bug-

Inthegame

It's (really) an IBT constitutional requirement.

If it is "sanctioned" by the IBT (and requested).... any (reasonable) expenses are allowed.

As long as there is a "documented purpose" for elected officials to be involved....

It's no problem.

All Locals are audited by the IBT, every 5 years.

I had to repay my Local .42¢

For overpaying (tipping) .... on a cup of coffee.

-Bug-
Now I know why the finances are improving...$.42 at a time.
My point is protesting with other Teamsters under attack might not have been "sanctioned" but it's the right thing to do with a much cleaner union purpose than the "sanctioned" gathering of hundreds of officers in Minneapolis (on their locals dime) to say happy retirement to the former GST.
But what do I know...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Now I know why the finances are improving...$.42 at a time.

At the time, I thought it was petty.

My point is protesting with other Teamsters under attack might not have been "sanctioned" but it's the right thing to do with a much cleaner union purpose than the "sanctioned" gathering of hundreds of officers in Minneapolis (on their locals dime) to say happy retirement to the former GST.

Your point is right on the money.

I was always "trained" to exercise an abundance of caution, when it came to

Local Union expenditures. After all, it's the members dues money.

But what do I know...

From what I have seen, you're one of the best (knowledgeable) posters on this forum.

I don't say that to stroke your ego, it's just readily apparent to me.

Besides.... I can't do it all, or know it all. :biggrin:

-Bug-

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

My 1st question is if Tim s gets elected for gp how much of my dues money is going to tdu?......my second question is are the people who donate now to tdu still going to donate if Tim s is elected in addition to paying dues?

10 point

My 1st question is if Tim s gets elected for gp how much of my dues money is going to tdu?......my second question is are the people who donate now to tdu still going to donate if Tim s is elected in addition to paying dues?
Second question is: Why don't you email him and ask him?
Unless this is supposedly "food for thought".