Union vs. Non Union

trickpony1

It's the nature of people to do stupid things, most of which are inspired by greed.

Go ahead....get rid of the union and while your at it get rid of the police, the armed forces, all the governmental enforcement agencies and any other protective entity and see how quickly insurrection occurs.

A

Alf

Proof is in the Pudding! Overnite kept the union out, and everyone did Great, making good money, Good benifits, Great 401K, ETC,ETC,
and all this WITHOUT any UNION, while keeping them out,even thru there Shooting our drivers, throwing bricks thru our windows, telling our custs. to not use ovnt. ETC.ETC. YOU DO NOT NEED A UNION IF YOU DO YOUR JOB, AND DO IT WELL, only people that need a crutch need a union, no disrespect to anyone, just my opinion.

It's been proven over and over, the reason for companies like Overnight treat their employees well is the THREAT of a union coming in. A union is what it is, collective bargining, no more no less. Unions provide a way for the workers to share in the bounty. Do you really think companies care for their workers, no, their purpose is to make a profit. I really don't care to go back to the dark ages, simply look south of the border and see how workers there are treated. Why do you think unions were created in the first place?

1971 start Feeder retired

I was a union steward for 27 years in a Right to Work state so had union and non union people I had to represent ...by law I had to represent each the same ...always amazed me that the first thing out of a non-union persons mouth when they faced discipline from UPS was " I want a union steward " ...this coming from people who did not want to pay monthly union dues to support the union and had nothing good to say about the union....so they get in trouble and the union has to represent them no matter how far up the grievance procedure ladder it goes and that costs money out of the unions pocket , which is the members money , so I always looked at these people who didn't want to join the union as freeloading off the members backs who were paying monthly dues . You dont want to join the union ....fine....but don't go yelling for union representation when you get your rear in trouble and need help . Think all the pay and benefits you have working at UPS were given because they LOVE you ?

hoser

Industrial Slob
Unions are the result of crappy companies. You can't say an environment sucks because of a union; it sucks because the employer allowed a union. FedEx has always sticked behind keeping employees happy. They pay a fair rate comparable to the work that has to be done (not much), and because they don't have ridiculous pay rates or benefit packages, they can hire more employees, or spend money on new centres, equipment, etc, which makes employee morale higher.

Plus, promotions based on merit are always nice, too.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I am for the union. It's the leadership that gets in. And again and again. People don't like to change. Then we all keep getting crap contracts that barely pass because of lazy members. We have term limits,we just need to vote. To have the correct people to actually negotiate a honest contract for the members.

ncupser82

don't join the teamsters they will do you worse than the company ever could they will steal your pension increase dues anytime they want and charge you for a strike fund they deny (sometimes) to even having. If you want a union that will stand up for it's people go to Parcelworkers - A NEW LOOK! WHAT MAKES THIS UNION LOOK DIFFERENT'' learn about the APWA and spread it through your center contact the leaders on the sight and get a meeting time set for your area
Bull:censored2:!

Sent using BrownCafe App

ncupser82

I could rant for hours about unions. It's not the concept of having a union but the abuse and corruption that comes with it. That was not what unions were intended for. For me insurance is just like car insurance. You hate paying for it but are sure glad you do. I believe the APWA would be better. If we end up being stuck with the Teamsters I'll be disappointed but they are better than nothing.
Damn you for forcing me on the TDU website, but its the only time I would agree with them... http://www.tdu.org/news/parcel-workers-association-not-right-course!

Sent using BrownCafe App

ncupser82

Proof is in the Pudding! Overnite kept the union out, and everyone did Great, making good money, Good benifits, Great 401K, ETC,ETC,
and all this WITHOUT any UNION, while keeping them out,even thru there Shooting our drivers, throwing bricks thru our windows, telling our custs. to not use ovnt. ETC.ETC. YOU DO NOT NEED A UNION IF YOU DO YOUR JOB, AND DO IT WELL, only people that need a crutch need a union, no disrespect to anyone, just my opinion.
Just wait!

Sent using BrownCafe App

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I was a union steward for 27 years in a Right to Work state so had union and non union people I had to represent ...by law I had to represent each the same ...always amazed me that the first thing out of a non-union persons mouth when they faced discipline from UPS was " I want a union steward " ...this coming from people who did not want to pay monthly union dues to support the union and had nothing good to say about the union....so they get in trouble and the union has to represent them no matter how far up the grievance procedure ladder it goes and that costs money out of the unions pocket , which is the members money , so I always looked at these people who didn't want to join the union as freeloading off the members backs who were paying monthly dues . You dont want to join the union ....fine....but don't go yelling for union representation when you get your rear in trouble and need help . Think all the pay and benefits you have working at UPS were given because they LOVE you ?

This may not be legal or ethical, but I would do everything I could to undermine the non union worker. I can't understand how others can be forced to pay to defend them? I'm glad I don't work in a RTW state, my head would explode.

I tell you this, take away the union and see how much different this place will be. Look around what others are paying for health care for starters.

PT Car Washer

$35+/hr and free benefits doesn't sound like a crap contract to me.

Sent using BrownCafe App
No I agree. Guys like you and me are living the dream. How about all the guys and gals just starting. Min.wage, no benefits, 3 1/2 hours guarantee if you force it. 4 year progression. Every contract more concessions. When does it get better for the majority of UPS Union workers?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
No I agree. Guys like you and me are living the dream. How about all the guys and gals just starting. Min.wage, no benefits, 3 1/2 hours guarantee if you force it. 4 year progression. Every contract more concessions. When does it get better for the majority of UPS Union workers?

As soon as they all join together and say enough is enough. The part timers far out number the full timers at UPS. They could get whatever they wanted if they would get involved in the process.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
As soon as they all join together and say enough is enough. The part timers far out number the full timers at UPS. They could get whatever they wanted if they would get involved in the process.

Do you think the union should split the contracts for full and part time? Then they won't blame the full timer. They can not vote for their jobs contract too

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I need some advise about the union. I have been working as a pt preloader for about a year, in a state where union membership is optional. I asked management about joining the union and they said 'save your money'. Other preloaders I have asked are split on membership and I have never been approached by a union rep. What are the pros and cons of joining the union that mgt wont tell me about? Thank you.

The first and most important benefit of being a dues paying member is you have the right to vote for the contacts and your leadership. You also are allowed to attend your local Union meetings. If thereit's ever a strike non members do not get the strike benefits. If your local is a member of the Ohio strike fund, you will receive additional strike benefits as well. There are also some things the union will do for the members that you will not get. We do teamster night at our local dirt race track. Free admission and dinner for members and their families. Labor day cook out for members etc...

Tell me what organization do you know of in the United States that is forced to offer a service workout compensation? it's just not right to free load off your Co workers. Join and pay your fair share

Ouch

Your union steward is like your lawyer. You get what you pay for. I'm not saying he will not represent you but you might get a little more respect if your a dues paying member. Join the union, if it wasn't for the union you wouldn't have an opportunity making the money that will be offered and you wouldn't have insurance. When you get called in the office not if but when and you will, you will appreciate the hard work a good steward will do for you. Not because he gets paid to represent you but the fact that he has integrity and will not let his brother/sister be walked on.