United Parcel Service Hiring Freeze?

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
A lot of mo
The work ethic is fine, management's decisions are what will bring trouble to the company.
It's a combination of both. Can't speak for your end though. There was a time in the 80's when there was a mutual respect between management and lart timers (this was before FT jobs in my area). It's a numbers/safety game now in regards to management and the new employees are getting :censored2:tier by the year.

DOK

Not a driver, but what happens when mass retirement goes down? This company is in trouble man. The work ethic today just isn't what it used to be.
I believe the company sees that, thus the lighter dispatch nowadays. Out of our 45 rte center about 5 guys are dispatched with less than 8 hours, the rest barely have 8.

JustDeliverIt

Exactly. 5 retired at mine in the last year. 2-3 more this year.

I'm in a building with 2 centers, 80+ routes each. Have 10 drivers going the first 6 months this year and was told by the a business agent they will have about 25-30% of the full time drivers retire within the next 2-3 years. Going to be interesting where they get the bodies to replace them.

Was also told they want to start hiring the 22.4's at my building since we don't have any yet. They're looking to bring on 40 or so FT between replacing retirees and 22.4, not sure where they are going to find them around here.

Indecisi0n

The growth of our company moves in tandem with the growth and retraction of the economy, obviously. And growth is either accelerated or stalled based on the conditions of the markets we're tapped into.

One of the markets UPS is tapped into, the largest single market in fact, is Amazon.
So then, what happens when that market goes away? Retraction of growth.

UPS will work to replenish the 11% it stands to lose, and it will. But, it may take years.
In the meantime, the lose of revenue will likely result in a hiring freeze that may last for months or even years.
We have mass layoffs here.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Which is mind blowing and irresponsible of the company to do so right now, imho.
I work in one of the fastest growing small cities in Texas, in a building that we outgrew several years ago and with a glut of high seniority drivers looking to retire in the next couple of years.

I'm in a building with 2 centers, 80+ routes each. Have 10 drivers going the first 6 months this year and was told by the a business agent they will have about 25-30% of the full time drivers retire within the next 2-3 years. Going to be interesting where they get the bodies to replace them.

Was also told they want to start hiring the 22.4's at my building since we don't have any yet. They're looking to bring on 40 or so FT between replacing retirees and 22.4, not sure where they are going to find them around here.
Do you have Saturday ground?

DOK

Wow. I guess that’s a case where yeah, they better be hiring. My building is stagnant as far as growth of the surrounding communities and not very many going to retire within the next 5 years. 5-10 years out we will see a lot of guys retiring.

DOK

I work in one of the fastest growing small cities in Texas, in a building that we outgrew several years ago and with a glut of high seniority drivers looking to retire in the next couple of years.
I can see where they would need to hire at your building. Our building doesn’t have much growth in the surrounding communities.

MattM

We’ve frozen new drivers but give current drivers 60-70 hours

yes. We’re progressing well!

so many are okay with 22.4 progression to start. But we aren’t there yet I guess