United Way Donations

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Haven't read all the responses but in case someone hasn't mentioned it, UPS takes a % of that donation to the United way. So you're basically giving them a little money back that you worked for.

What sense does it make for UPS to match 15% of our contributions, which is supposed to cover admin costs, if they are taking a little back on the other side? It doesn't make sense as it simply is not true.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What sense does it make for UPS to match 15% of our contributions, which is supposed to cover admin costs, if they are taking a little back on the other side? It doesn't make sense as it simply is not true.
I'm not saying I believe this at all but lets not kid our selves. It's all about appearances.

Ups could give 2 :censored2:s about the united way or any of their programs.

By The Book

Me personally, have given to united way and other local charities as I wanted to. I am very fortunate and financially secure enough to where I can give to these organizations. I can't give the time, which I want to sometimes, because I need to spend that time with my wife and daughter. Then there's the long hours we work, in my case 53 to 56 per week. My feelings are if you want to give, give and don't paint all charitable organizations with the same brush. You may find or hear of a local charity that spends all your donations locally and only for that cause. In my center there was a driver who was helped out by a local charity and that hit home for me. There is another local charity that receives a percentage from united way, so I just donate when I can by check directly to them.

O

OLDMAN3

Brian Gallagher, United Way Worldwide received total compensation of more than $1.5 million in 2012
My former local United Way director (retired) still gets $375,000 a year.

Designating your money to a specific charity does not mean they will receive one cent more than they would have otherwise from the United Way...All contributions are fungible.

The United Way supports "charities" that many find very offensive, remember your contribution does not truly support a specific charity even if you "designate" your money.

In addition, charities which apply for United Way funding incur additional administrative costs to justify their need to the United Way.

Say you contribute $100
United way takes $12.50 to $15 for fundraising, paying outrageous salaries, and distributing your money.
Individual charities incur approximately 3% additional administrative costs to justify their need to the United Way

So the $100 you gave becomes $82 and is distributed to whoever the local United Way board (made up of corporate executives) deems worthy. Some examples are the Shakespeare Theater, wealthy Preparatory Schools, Planned Parenthood, the United Nations Association etc. etc. You may very well agree with funding these specific organizations, but there are likely some you would not.

O

OLDMAN3

The United Way gave $15,000 to the Islamic Society of Boston:
United Way gave $15,000 to terror linked Islamic Society of Boston for Da'wa & to 'study pyschological effects of 9/11on Muslims' in 2001
http://www.militantislammonitor.org/article/id/435

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Society_of_Boston
The mosque came to national attention when it was revealed that it had been regularly attended by Tamerlan Tsarnaev and, less frequently, by Dzhokhar, the two brothers accused of the Boston Marathon bombings. The organization Americans for Peace and Tolerance has alleged that several former members are convicted terrorists and claims that the mosque teaches "a brand of Islamic thought that encourages grievances against the West, distrust of law enforcement and opposition to Western forms of government, dress and social values."[4]

You may, or may not agree with the funding of the Islamic Society of Boston or countless other charities. But that is the problem with giving to a middle man (United Way); They decide who gets your money.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Who gives a :censored2: who or what UW gives money to if you can instruct them to direct your funds to your local's scholarship fund?

O

OLDMAN3

Who gives a :censored2: who or what UW gives money to if you can instruct them to direct your funds to your local's scholarship fund?
Because in reality they don't give a penny more to your local's scholarship fund as a result of you telling them to direct your funds there. The United Way charities receive and distribute donations on a regional basis. They tell donors they can "designate" which charity they want to receive their donation. But the distribution to the various charities is based on "budgets" developed independently from "designated" contributions. Since so few donors name a particular charity, the United Way decreases their funding from the un-designated funds....The result is that the charity receives the amount the local board budgeted, regardless of your designation. So it is more accurate to say that you contributed to all the charities the United Way supports.

O

OLDMAN3

Photog do you have a reason to disagree with my post? My sister worked for the United Way for years.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Photog do you have a reason to disagree with my post? My sister worked for the United Way for years.
"United Way understands that some donors choose to direct a portion of their gift to a specific agency. Although we process these donor-directed contributions as a service to our donors, United Way is unable to guarantee how designated funds to a specific agency will be used"

Another neat thing... in United Way's Standards of Excellence document:
adhere to the following cost deduction standards on designations:
• Neither fundraising nor processing fees will be deducted from designated gifts
originating by or from another United Way organization

Last edited: