United Way force donations coming soon for 2011.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
ibecause i don't give to the united way i am cheap and twisted *******. i would love to see you sit in front of a child dying of cancer and tell hiim/her you will let him/her die because you don't give to the jimmy fund. again it is none of your business to what cause or to whom or how people donate. fyi it is because of management people like you that hourlies are running away from the united way. your anger is the one that is misguided.

better (or worse) yet- sit in front of that child dying of cancer, and tell them that donating to the UW makes more sense, because it makes your workgroups contributions look better on paper and meeting a corporate goal is more important.

The worst part is Ties argument and examples are spins and blame game, while the above is reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

tieguy

Banned
Once a worker in any job receives their pay, it is theirs to do with as they see fit. If they choose not to donate to charity, that's a personal matter between said worker and God. Perhaps that worker helps civilization in a way not clearly visible to UPS management. Just as there exists many different people so there are many different ways to make positive contributions to humanity. Don't assume everyone on a different path is bound for hell. The emphasis should be on helping in some way.... not your way.

Sig I'm not arguing that point. I am arguing against the point that we brag a mindset that would starve those in need just to screw the boss. lot of posts here doing that.

I then questioned why people dont get offended when they see that mindset displayed here.

tieguy

Banned
ibecause i don't give to the united way i am cheap and twisted *******. i would love to see you sit in front of a child dying of cancer and tell hiim/her you will let him/her die because you don't give to the jimmy fund. again it is none of your business to what cause or to whom or how people donate. fyi it is because of management people like you that hourlies are running away from the united way. your anger is the one that is misguided.

If thats your position then why aren't you asking people here to select your charity to give to?
Is your charity supported through united way?

tieguy

Banned
better (or worse) yet- sit in front of that child dying of cancer, and tell them that donating to the UW makes more sense, because it makes your workgroups contributions look better on paper and meeting a corporate goal is more important.

The worst part is Ties argument and examples are spins and blame game, while the above is reality.

thats the whole point behined an organized fund raisining activity. Getting each function to gather x amount of dollars as there part of the overall team effort. its why upsers have now crossed the billion dollar mark in donations.

your argument is like complaining because a baseball hitter is trying to get a hit everytime he swings the bat. what other reason would I possibly have to have an organized fund raising activity other then to try to collect as much money as possible to help our community? Am I supposed to apologize for trying to help my community? Am I supposed to apologize because United way gets a lot more more for my charity then hoping someone remembers to write a check this month?

I think your argument again illustrates the hangups people have about this effort that are so destructive to the overall cause. You make this argument but when a poster here brags about screwing his community just so he can piss his boss off you dont' get offended. why is that?

P

pickup

Anyone see a few methods that might be being violated or a few potential injuries that could put guys out of work for at least two months? But hey it is united way, it is for a good cause.

[video=youtube;glnosNEvj9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glnosNEvj9k[/video]

UnconTROLLed

perfection
thats the whole point behined an organized fund raisining activity. Getting each function to gather x amount of dollars as there part of the overall team effort. its why upsers have now crossed the billion dollar mark in donations.

your argument is like complaining because a baseball hitter is trying to get a hit everytime he swings the bat. what other reason would I possibly have to have an organized fund raising activity other then to try to collect as much money as possible to help our community? Am I supposed to apologize for trying to help my community? Am I supposed to apologize because United way gets a lot more more for my charity then hoping someone remembers to write a check this month?

I think your argument again illustrates the hangups people have about this effort that are so destructive to the overall cause. You make this argument but when a poster here brags about screwing his community just so he can piss his boss off you dont' get offended. why is that?

I am not offended at either, when will you get that through your head? I just said , it has nothing to do with sups or suits trying to extort money. I am not offended at some idiot thinking he is getting back at the company by not donating. Neither offend me.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
DOor to door mag salesmen trying to extort money does not offend me. Annoying, yes! I tell them to utilize their energies elsewhere.

You are getting paid very good money, I'm sure, and part of it is to convicne people to buy into the UW at any cost, even cheating or lying or having to donate extra. We've all heard the horror stories, we all know the UW max-donation parking spots (ridiculous). UW it's a lifestyle UPS promotes. That's why you push those ideas on here so strongly.
If you did not work for UPS and the UW contribution numbers and goals were not at stake, you likely would not consider calling those who did not donate "freeloaders that laugh at children with cancer dying in front of them" unless you were a very sick individual.

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, not too long ago (3 weeks), I got back from Cuba.
I took 2 suitcases with me. 1 filled with clothing, the other filled with necessities, presents and other goods for Cubans.
From pencils, pens,colored markers, notebooks for school, calculators, a few toys, nutella spread, gummi bears and other candy, even playing cards, and canadian soveniers, even teddy bears and beach footballs (all in all worth more then $150).

Anyways, to give those gifts to people that really need them, (paper products, school supplies are very limited and rare to find there), was awesome.
To see them smile and being happy, was priceless (nevermind how gratefully they thanked me, which was rather embarressing, I don't liked to get thanked for something I already planned doing).
And just for little things, that no one in the `western world`would really even care about that much (we are just too spoiled).

When, I gave those beach footballs away, I went to the pool searching for a Cuban family. If they answered with Mexico, Argentina or even Canada.. I moved on....
Finally found a cuban family, actually 2 that went together on vacation. Thier kids were soo happy, when I threw them the balls.
Their parents made those poor kids come out of the pool and made them say Thank-you to me.
Anyways, I ended up sitting with that family for hrs afterwards... more hand language then anything else.... but it was nice to get to know them.
And, I gave them some school supplies, later too. They told me they couldn`t even buy that in Havanna ! (where they were from).

Anyways, all my other gifts went to bar staff, the maid service, waiters/waitresses, even the lifeguard got something (I always asked if they had Bambinos).
Like I said, the reaction of thier smiles and happiness was priceless.
And it felt soo great to help these people out , by basically giving them just some few basic items that we all take for granted.

MInd you, I did get some benefits out of it. I never had to wait in line for a drink, got a second afternoon room service, to stock up my minifridge, with whatever I needed, be it beer or bottled water or soda.

And, I got this lovely hand written note from the lady that cleaned my room daily:

" Dear Guest,
for me has been pleasure to work for you
I wish you have a good travel tomorrow
Thank you for your presents
You a good person

Have a nice day
Your friend
Lislaylin "

Anyways, just trying to say, giving something in person, is truely a much better experience then having a boss tell you, you should give to UW.
Besides, you really never see where that money goes, and you really don't get that sort of "great good feeling" as if you handed charity over yourself !

I don't care about tax deductions. Why should I let other tax payers partially pay for my donations that I want to give from my own heart, anyways ?

P

pickup

2nd well written post I have seen by Klein today, what the heck is going on?

Betcha cachsux starts a post based on that name "lislaylin".

Blizzard

I am not offended at either, when will you get that through your head? I just said , it has nothing to do with sups or suits trying to extort money. I am not offended at some idiot thinking he is getting back at the company by not donating. Neither offend me.

reading your next post looks like you proved Tie's point?

Blizzard

DOor to door mag salesmen trying to extort money does not offend me. Annoying, yes! I tell them to utilize their energies elsewhere.

You are getting paid very good money, I'm sure, and part of it is to convicne people to buy into the UW at any cost, even cheating or lying or having to donate extra. We've all heard the horror stories, we all know the UW max-donation parking spots (ridiculous). UW it's a lifestyle UPS promotes. That's why you push those ideas on here so strongly.
If you did not work for UPS and the UW contribution numbers and goals were not at stake, you likely would not consider calling those who did not donate "freeloaders that laugh at children with cancer dying in front of them" unless you were a very sick individual.

you do realize there are people bragging about jamming united way. Who are they really hurting when they do so but the people united way helps.

klein

why not take a position on this one way or the other?

Maybe because Charity giving or not giving, should be of no ones buisness ?
Do, you go around your center and ask your co-workers how much they donate, or why or why not they donate ?

On the other hand, you have UPS management making it their business, which a lot of people do not agree with, either.

Blizzard

Maybe because Charity giving or not giving, should be of no ones buisness ?
Do, you go around your center and ask your co-workers how much they donate, or why or why not they donate ?

On the other hand, you have UPS management making it their business, which a lot of people do not agree with, either.

You would think someone living off of handouts like yourself would be supporting united way?

jimstud

Banned
If thats your position then why aren't you asking people here to select your charity to give to?
Is your charity supported through united way?

i do ask that people donate to the charity i like but a don't strong arm or pester them about it. why does it have to be through the united way ? like i said before i don't want awards or accolades for what i do why does ups and their management team ?

wannabeups

Anyone see a few methods that might be being violated or a few potential injuries that could put guys out of work for at least two months? But hey it is united way, it is for a good cause.

[video=youtube;glnosNEvj9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glnosNEvj9k[/video]

I was in on this. We had to sign a waiver before we did it. I know I sprung my finger pulling it.

klein

You would think someone living off of handouts like yourself would be supporting united way?

We pay taxes on everything. Remember we have Vat taxes here, and here is my property tax bill, I just paid 6 weeks ago.
So, I can send other peoples kids to school, and pay for their garbage pickup. (Yes, I also have garbage pickup, but only use 1 bag every 2nd week).

taxpic1001.jpg
taxpic1001.jpg

tieguy

Banned
2nd well written post I have seen by Klein today, what the heck is going on?

Betcha cachsux starts a post based on that name "lislaylin".

Sorry something about a 50 something year old unmarried canadian giving out cheap trinkets to cuban kids that gives me the willies.