United Way Fund ?

Dustyroads

Tie guy says, "You made a committment to help your community you should live up to that committment"

The COMMITMENT that the poster had was obviously more than they could afford. Maybe if he were wearing a tie, he could afford it more. Maybe their family circumstances changed, a spouse might have lost their job, maybe their car broke down, or their kid needed braces. It's really no one elses business than the giver. UPS has soured the spirit of giving to the united way by creating a mathmatical standard on giving in individual centers, districts and divisions. There was so much pressure put on the center manager in our center to produce "givers", that one year he gave a contribution in every non-giver's name, making his center the only one it the division to have 100% participation. Another case of management tweaking their own numbers to make themselves look good. It really put the next center manager in a bind...should he be honest and report the actual stats...or should he create false contributions in non-givers names. What games!

705red

Browncafe Steward
That's the down side to pledging in November December for the following year. People are now laid off especially here and they do not deserve to be laid off. Ups is laying off against what the contract says and yet you expect people that are being screwed over to want to continue their pledge in their companies name? The same company that has shown it does not care about them? BS!!!

I say that no one should give this year in UPS's name. If you want to give give through your church or directly to an organization in your name!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I say that no one should give this year in UPS's name. If you want to give give through your church or directly to an organization in your name!

I've heard a lot of talk along these lines from management too!
Unfortunately, the economic conditions that precipitated all this has hurt contributions to the providing organizations while the number of people needing help has gone up.

I've been a Leadership Giver for longer than UPS has had that designation (through United Way of Metro Atlanta). Some how, in spite of no raise or 401k match, I'm going to find a way to donate even more this year.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I have a difficult time giving to charity thru UPS for two reasons;

1. I can't afford it.

2. There is something wrong with giving to a charity to receive a better parking spot. I can't explain why that bothers me, but it does.

beentheredonethat

Well, Just my 2 cents. Having people ask to have their contributions stopped is nothing new. It was done way back when I was in payroll. I usually got about 1-3 per month avg. (More at the beginning of the year). We just stopped the deduction. Nothing was done from our end after that. The very first time I got one, I asked the prior payroll supv about it. And he indicated that it happens every year. People volunteer in Nov and in Jan realized they don't want to or changed their mind or whatever. What irritated me the most though was one mgmt person who pledged to show as a leadership giver, then changed his donation after the first month to a lower amount. He did this for at least the two years I did payroll. Not sure exactly why, but that ticked me off the most of anyone.

lorri47

I have seen people stop united way deductions from their paycheck. You must get a form from HR to stop the deductions. It takes a couple of weeks.

M

Mike23

I'd like to point out a bit of irony here if I could.

In our contracts (at least in Canada) it says we cannot be approached for any kind of financial charities, sales, etc... from another employee. That being said, how does UPS management justify giving us a piece of paper and requesting we give money to united way? I'm not 100% positive but I don't recall it saying in the contract that UPS management is allowed to ask me for money when my fellow drivers can't (even one with a wife who's battling cancer who I would rather give money to then some slob that can't manage his own life).

If worse comes to worse, maybe that could be argued? Just throwing it out there?

And if it's even worse then that...and I realize this is a REALLY bad joke but I gotta say it...you could ask for united way for some help?

trickpony1

And if it's even worse then that...and I realize this is a REALLY bad joke but I gotta say it...you could ask for united way for some help?

Good luck with that.

I know a driver whose house burned down. He asked UW for help and was denied. He was told he makes too much money.

Another driver's wife had cancer. He asked UW for assistance. Guess what? He was denied too.

Guess who doesn't donate to UW anymore.