United Way Fund ?

95ss

Since the year started they have been taken money from my check. Is there any way I can stop them from doing so? I talked to my sup and they keep giving me the run around. Anybody else I can call ? Thanks for any help.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Since the year started they have been taken money from my check. Is there any way I can stop them from doing so? I talked to my sup and they keep giving me the run around. Anybody else I can call ? Thanks for any help.

Did you turn in and sign a pledge card last year?

drewed

Shankman
If he turned in a pledge card theres not much you can do, I had an employee come to me with same problem last year until I showed him a copy of his pledge card

local804

A letter to the payroll dept was all that was needed a few years ago by a few employees when that trouble happened with the president of UW. I dont know if you are alllowed to stop now, but am 100% positive you could have stopped it in the past.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yup I did but I bit myself for doing so, I know it's better to give but they are taking too much out.

Are they taking more than what you had pledged? Did you perhaps write down what you wanted to donate in total and mistakenly checked the "weekly" box? Finally, we have had 12 pay periods since the start of the year--are you just now noticing this?

If the error is indeed on UPS' part then you should be able to get it corrected but will most likely not be able to get any money back.

95ss

Like I said earlier my sups have been giving me the run around about it. Now I'm asking how can I stop it. Thanks everyone for help I might just write a letter to payroll.

gandydancer

Like I said earlier my sups have been giving me the run around about it. Now I'm asking how can I stop it. Thanks everyone for help I might just write a letter to payroll.

There's a listing of UPS' United Way Region Coordinators on upsers.com. Anyone with UPS email can get you the corresponding email addresses from the email program's directory. Send whoever it is an email terminating your agreement to have UPS take out contributions effective immediately. From your home email, so that you have a record. Then grieve any further deductions, if any.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Go to your payroll administrator and tell him/her you would like to stop your contribution. They cannot take charitable withholdings out of your check involuntarily. They will probably give you a hard time about it, but if you want it stopped they have to stop taking it out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Go to your payroll administrator and tell him/her you would like to stop your contribution. They cannot take charitable withholdings out of your check involuntarily. They will probably give you a hard time about it, but if you want it stopped they have to stop taking it out.

The OP signed a pledge card which is, in effect, a contract between the employee and employer to have a predetermined amount taken out of his paycheck on a weekly basis. Now, if UPS is taking out too much, in essence not following the contract, then the employee has a beef, but if they are simply following the contract then I don't think there is anything that the employee can do.

On the bright side, the total pledged amount can be written off on your 2009 taxes and you are helping someone less fortunate.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer

Are you in the NorthEast? I ask because many, many people in our center WHO DID NOT fill out a pledge card, all of a sudden were having $5/week taken out of pay for UW. A quick talk with Payroll Administrator will fix it.

Also (and I may be wrong) your pledge card is just that - a pledge, not a legally binding contract. Situations change - if you need to stop making charitable donations, you can stop at any time. yOU WILL GET A HASSLE, BUT IT IS YOUR DONATION.

95ss

Are you in the NorthEast? I ask because many, many people in our center WHO DID NOT fill out a pledge card, all of a sudden were having $5/week taken out of pay for UW. A quick talk with Payroll Administrator will fix it.

Also (and I may be wrong) your pledge card is just that - a pledge, not a legally binding contract. Situations change - if you need to stop making charitable donations, you can stop at any time. yOU WILL GET A HASSLE, BUT IT IS YOUR DONATION.

I'm in the East Texas area, thanks everyone with the help given I will get to the bottom of it. Who would be my payroll admin?

gandydancer

The OP signed a pledge card which is, in effect, a contract between the employee and employer ...

Your ignorance of contract law is showing. The OP's pledge is not a contract. In order for a contract to be binding both parties must receive something of tangible value in the exchange. The OP did not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your ignorance of contract law is showing. The OP's pledge is not a contract. In order for a contract to be binding both parties must receive something of tangible value in the exchange. The OP did not.

I beg to differ. The pledge card asks the donor to designate how much they want to pledge, whether it is going to be a lump sum or a weekly withdrawal, whether they want to designate it for a particular agency, and then the donor must sign the pledge card thereby giving the employer the authority to execute the provisions of the pledge card. If that's not a contract than I don't know what the hell a contract is. The employer receives the pledged amount from the donor and forwards it to the United Way for their use. The employee receives the satisfaction of knowing that his donation will be used to help those less fortunate and, if he so desires, can write off the pledged amount from his income taxes.

I also stated that if the amount being taken out is not what the OP had pledged than he does have the right to seek relief; however, it is almost April--why in the hell did he wait until now to question this deduction?

gandydancer

I'm in the East Texas area, thanks everyone with the help given I will get to the bottom of it. Who would be my payroll admin?

The Southeast Region UW coordinator is someone named Mike Adams. Anyway, put your decision to change your pledge in writing and go with your steward to the individual who solicited the pledge from you OR ANY MANAGEMENT PERSON and give him your retraction. It is effective IMMEDIATELY and UPS must refund to you ANY FURTHER DEDUCTIONS from your paychecks.

What's the procrastination about? You're coming across as a real wuss. Unless you enjoy being a victim this may be the wrong employer for you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I beg to differ. The pledge card asks the donor to designate how much they want to pledge, whether it is going to be a lump sum or a weekly withdrawal, whether they want to designate it for a particular agency, and then the donor must sign the pledge card thereby giving the employer the authority to execute the provisions of the pledge card. If that's not a contract than I don't know what the hell a contract is. The employer receives the pledged amount from the donor and forwards it to the United Way for their use. The employee receives the satisfaction of knowing that his donation will be used to help those less fortunate and, if he so desires, can write off the pledged amount from his income taxes.

I also stated that if the amount being taken out is not what the OP had pledged than he does have the right to seek relief; however, it is almost April--why in the hell did he wait until now to question this deduction?

It's not a contract.
It's a charitable pledge.
If he separates his employment with UPS will United Way send a collection agency after him?
Will they put a lean against his house?
Things happen.
If he wants to quit giving I'm sure he can.
I'm sure it will be met with resentment.
Now as far opinions, I believe if he signed a pledge card for this calendar year, he should honor it.
Provided it was not made under duress as management sometimes puts undo pressure on unwilling employees to make a goal.
Step off Upstate.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Gandy is correct. It is not a contract. That is why they call it a pledge.

Signing a pledge card gives someone the recourse to prove that it was authorized. Other than that, it is not binding to either party - you can't get back money already donated, but you can modify / cancel it at any time.

EDITED - Bubblehead, we were obviously typing at the same time - you hit "enter" first!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Gandy is correct. It is not a contract. That is why they call it a pledge.

Signing a pledge card gives someone the recourse to prove that it was authorized. Other than that, it is not binding to either party - you can't get back money already donated, but you can modify / cancel it at any time.

EDITED - Bubblehead, we were obviously typing at the same time - you hit "enter" first!

Great minds...