United Way

klein

Für Meno :)
Last year some of us were given s..t, because they didn't return thier forms.
We been told we need to return them no matter what . Enter "0" and sign it, even if we chose not to donate. But forms MUST be returned !
The ones that didn't have the form any longer (trash), had to get a new one...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There are many reason to give to the united way.

There are also many reasons not to give to the united way.

Each have valid points.

The bottom line is those that want to give should do so as their conscience dictates. The same applies to those that dont.

And as for charitable giving, its nobody's business what I give or dont give, or to whom. This is a personal decision.

The posts over the years on this subject have not swayed those that give or those that dont.

The excitement that UPS management has to raise funds is sometimes pushed to where it does look like they are trying to intimidate employees into giving. That is a shame.

But in the end, those that support the united way will do so, those that dont, wont.

Personally, neither choice will make you less or more of a great UPS employee or person.

d

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I have always donated to the United Way.

My donation is directed to the small farming community my father grew up in...for hospice and senior care.

And this year, I will increase my donation. This allows me to continue to support the United Way in Northern Wisconsin and the Aurora Visiting Nurses / Hospice Care that made it possible for my father to pass with dignity in the home that held all his memories and dreams for me and my sister.

I never thought I would be assisted by the United Way. I only know this from making a personal donation and receiving contributor newsletters.
I felt comfort knowing that I was a contributor....I was sure I would never receive help from the United Way.
I was wrong.

Make your choices...do what you want with your money.
You may some day be surprised...I pray you never need help...but if you do...United Way supported agencies are there to help you and your family regardless if you contribute.

And Blame it on the BIG heart my daddy gave me !!!

tieguy

Banned
The UPS Foundation recently cancelled the Gift Matching Program for our employees.
Where's the love in that move?
If it doesn't translate into a good commercial or press release I guess it has no purpose with corporate.

we still match on united way. So give away.:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
I have no issue with an employer picking a charity to be involved with. I am simply pointing out the strong-arming that is used on both salary/hourly employees. Pulling someone in the office to ask why they chose not to donate??

Very bad form...

Think about what you're saying though. we are strongly encouraging people who are very fortunate to give to those less fortunate. Of all the things you could get strong armed about that one at least has a benifit that helps humanity.

Think back about what you want to feel good about when you're sitting on on the porch in your senior years. Along with the normal life goals of being a good husband/wife/father/mother don't you want to also feel good about helping those who are less fortunate then yourself. Don't you want to feel good contributing to eliminating some of the nasty diseases out there that totally destroy peoples lives. What better way then an easy process where you agree to do so through payroll deduction.

M

Mike23

This year, I've decided to make a 'deal' with management. I'll actually donate $20 a week IF they don't put a split on my truck for the year...So far there's no takers. I guess the buck stops there ;)

klein

Don't you want to feel good contributing to eliminating some of the nasty diseases out there that totally destroy peoples lives.

Seems like the right thing to do. Use it for Heatlhcare for all ! ;)

Dustyroads

A number of years ago we had a center manager who wasn't particularly well liked, and he made no attempt to change that reputation. When the UW time came around, after they had made their pitches and drivers turned in their pledge forms, he made contributions, something like $10, for every worker who didn't contribute. So, when the paperwork went in, it appeared that every worker in the center had contributed. I'm sure he was a real hero on paper.

Well, when he moved on to another center, the next center manager was in a real bind. The UW guy came in for his pitch, and said in the morning meeting, "this building was the only facility I visited last year that had 100% participation". Drivers looked around at each other, many knowing that they had chosen not to give.

And the poor center manager, he was faced with the choice of cooking his figures by contributing for everyone, or looking like he had let the UW campaign falter, compared to the previous year's performance. He had the integrity to only report real contributions.

If a driver had fooled around with the numbers like that, they would have fired them for falsifying records. This guy got a promotion.

A

anonymous6

Our family were big contributers to the UW for many years. Two years ago I wrote two letters to their headquarters with some questions and they never responded.

We now work with only local charities.

NHDRVR

Think about what you're saying though. we are strongly encouraging people who are very fortunate to give to those less fortunate. Of all the things you could get strong armed about that one at least has a benifit that helps humanity.

Think back about what you want to feel good about when you're sitting on on the porch in your senior years. Along with the normal life goals of being a good husband/wife/father/mother don't you want to also feel good about helping those who are less fortunate then yourself. Don't you want to feel good contributing to eliminating some of the nasty diseases out there that totally destroy peoples lives. What better way then an easy process where you agree to do so through payroll deduction.

Think about what you wrote though. When I am on the porch thinking back of such things I WILL feel like I did something because I DID. I simply don't allow my employer to make those decisions for me. My family gives to other charities that we feel our dollar is better off going to.

Donating money that you earn is a very personal thing to me. Like most people I am not rolling in cash and the 'how much we make' argument is irrelevant since the drivers I associate with at work are the types who do donate their time/small amount of $ to charities.

Picking a charity to be involved with, as UPS has with the United Way, is all fine and well but I will not be lead by the nose to where my contributions will go.

It is still legal to have a different opinion on these matters than my employer.

for now...

Also, your decription of those who are 'very fortunate' is apt only to the point of expenses. It doesn't matter if you make 70 grand a year when your dumping 60 on, for example; ex-wife, child support, what ever 'extra' the judge tells you to pay, your own living expenses, etc., you get my point.

I know a few drivers who could actually use help from the United Way with how bad they 'got it' in court... Another argument for another day.

HappyP

I don't give to United Way because Planned Parenthood (the largest abortion provider in the nation), is a UW agency. I also believe that giving should be done through the Church so that Jesus Christ gets the glory, not me or UPS. Trust me, I have been called into the office to explain why I don't give. I give the same explanation, not because its any of their business, but as a witness. I dont think half of UPSers have a clue what theyre giving to, it just makes them feel better about themselves to do it.

You do know who you are giving to, you have the option to select the organization that receives the funds you donate. If you choose not to select an organization then you donation is put into the Community Fund and which is given to all organizations. There is no glory in giving money to help others, not in my opinion at least not a glory that should be recognized by anyone other than you and GOD. Read Matthew 6:3-4, I feel that no one should know what you give and if you mention it then I think that you have the wrong intentions.

We all forget that there are people who are less fortunate than us, I just visited a children's orphanage that is an organization funded by United Way. I will say that it broke my heart to see those kids without families and knowing that they may never have the opportunities that we were given to succeed in life. I am not an advocate for United Way, but I am an advocate for helping others regardless of how you do it and who you contribute to. I know that you are blessed when you help others and that a true measure of your wealth is not how much money you have in the bank, but how much of it you use to help others.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I donate my driving skills to a food pantry here in New York. Every Year I take one of their Tractor Trailers around the area and pick up food donations. I like to see that the ones who need it get 100% of the donation I give.

tieguy

Banned
Think about what you wrote though. When I am on the porch thinking back of such things I WILL feel like I did something because I DID. I simply don't allow my employer to make those decisions for me. My family gives to other charities that we feel our dollar is better off going to.

Donating money that you earn is a very personal thing to me. Like most people I am not rolling in cash and the 'how much we make' argument is irrelevant since the drivers I associate with at work are the types who do donate their time/small amount of $ to charities.

Picking a charity to be involved with, as UPS has with the United Way, is all fine and well but I will not be lead by the nose to where my contributions will go.

It is still legal to have a different opinion on these matters than my employer.

for now...

Also, your decription of those who are 'very fortunate' is apt only to the point of expenses. It doesn't matter if you make 70 grand a year when your dumping 60 on, for example; ex-wife, child support, what ever 'extra' the judge tells you to pay, your own living expenses, etc., you get my point.

I know a few drivers who could actually use help from the United Way with how bad they 'got it' in court... Another argument for another day.

From my experience people don't give to united way because they want to spite ups for whatever percieved injustice they feel they suffered.

My point was that I feel I should keep my mind on the common good my money creates and keep my mind away from chasing some type of petty revenge issue.

Fnix

I'd rather give my money personally to a single mother. Nothing like the feeling of handing a poor single mother a $20 in the grocery store.

klein

I would think they would find that embarrasing and insulting. I would.

Not at all. Have done that before, at the cashier, when they didn't have quite enough to pay for all the groceries....

It's more embarressing for them to decide, what not to take, and ring those items back out of the bill.

I got a great thank-you! Even from the cashier as well.

evilleace

If you want people to help charities then you make it easy for them to do so. United way and UPS is the means to make it easy for people to support their favorite charities.
No it is a big tax break for UPS.

I have no problem with giving to charity I don't make much but I am very blessed and I give to my church and local library along with anything else I feel warrants a donation.

What really turns me off to the UW donation is the way it is done last year I wasn't going to fill out the form was given another one threw it away was pulled out of my spot by a sup the next day and told to fill out the form right then in front of him that it had to be done now, checked $0 and left.

This yr when the forms were handed out they had our name and a barcode which contained employee info so that they would know who turned it back in was stopped by a sup on the way out the door that day and asked to fill it out put $0 again.

Who I give my money to is my choice I shouldn't be made to fill out a sheet to say I don't want to give and I definetly should not be made to fill it out in front of a sup that is what really turned me off.

(That and I saw an article on what the retired CEO got for a pension each yr.)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There should not be any prizes for giving to the united way. The prize should be a good feeling inside knowing that you're helping those less fortunate then yourself.

The prize should be a thank you to god that you yourself did not end up being or having the child that was born with those birth defects or the person afflicted by any number of diseases that afflict us in life.

The prize should be a committment to help erradicate that disease that took a loved one.

Don't let us cheapen that good inner feeling by offering you some dumbas game console.

Agreed!