United Way

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Its not that there is a ups middleman link so much as the convience of payaroll deduction that is offered. While there are exceptions you generally don't see charities supported as well if you have to rely on donors to remember to send in their money each month. The convience of payroll deduction is what gets these charities their true funding.

Giving to or helping your community should never be about work related politics.

While payroll deduction is a convenient way of donating, most charities can be set up to auto debit your bank account like any other entity you wish to do business with, just like a cell phone bill, power bill, etc.

I actually agree with you on the office politics factor, and personally it is the very reason I for one will never have any of my charities associated with my employer as a go between. There is no shortage of need in the world, and it's great to be able to give any amount at any time to the charity of your choice without directly involving ups.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Its not that there is a ups middleman link so much as the convience of payaroll deduction that is offered. While there are exceptions you generally don't see charities supported as well if you have to rely on donors to remember to send in their money each month. The convience of payroll deduction is what gets these charities their true funding.

Giving to or helping your community should never be about work related politics.

isnt it pretty much an underlying agreement that ALL management will contribute to uw?

TSup

Many in my center stopped giving to the united way through ups a few years ago, when two employees were terminated in separate cases for very weak reasons, then eventually rehired, after they and their families had suffered great hardship. The terminations were an unnecessary move by the company that had repercussions that have remained to this day, poisoning the water of trust and respect that was barely there to begin with. We had near 100% contribution rates up to that time. I don't personally see any reason to share a charity choice with my employer, when they show a low interest in UPS families with keeping fewer drivers out longer, laying off junior drivers in an attempt to make them pay for their own medical, all while feigning an interest in a public relations campaign "community" that only exists at the whim of the big shots.

Most of us give to the charity of our own choosing, without the ups middleman link.

It's very simple, United Way is about helping others.

Giving to United Way is a personal choice, that is the way I have handled it in our building ever since I started running the pledge drive. It's unfortunate that some think they have to strongarm those to give, have never done that, or thought I needed to.

It's also unfortuante that those in your center are getting back at UPS for these 2 drivers by not donating. The only ones you are hurting are those who are usually far less fortunate than we are who need the services and money United Way provides to those charities. If you really want to get back at UPS, pledge to UW, at least UPS gives up another 15% on top of what you do.

Also remember that you can choose to give to an agency of your choice by using a Donor Choice form(also online this year). This way you know your money is going where you want, and UPS kicks in 15% to your Local United Way on top of that.

Giving to UW, and helping those in need, in the communities where we live and work should not be about work politics.

M

Mike23

I refuse to pay into something UPS asks me to for multiple reason.

1. It's hypocritical of them since it's their own policy not to ask for funds from other drivers. We had a driver in our depot who's wife has cancer and one of our stewards came up and asked for a bit of cash to help the guy out. Of course I gave, the driver's one of our own. If UPS found out about it though he'd be in tons of crap.

2. UPS looks after others before looking after its own employees. In a time when people are being terminated for the most minor of offenses I'm going to horde my money the best I can just in case. Maybe if we weren't worried about being the 'offense of the week' and getting terminated I may donate some.

3. Last year I volunteered for that Christmas junk. I remember going to a home with two girls in it. One was around 20 and the other MAYBE 16. Apparently their mother was a former UPS employee and the kids still lived with her. We were talking about things and the 20 year old goes, 'I'm going to surprise my mother at Christmas and announce my pregnancy'. Well, ok, congrats. The sixteen year old says, 'yeah, me too!' Why would I help people this stupid? There was also a couple that JUST bought a house. The idiots didn't plan financially and were barely making payments on it so we bought them all this lovely furniture and such.

If you're going to donate to an organization, donate to your local Lions Club. If people need help with them it's a matter of asking a Lions Club member and then ALL the members vote on if the person should get what they need, not just some shmuck behind a desk.

tieguy

Banned
I refuse to pay into something UPS asks me to for multiple reason.

1. It's hypocritical of them since it's their own policy not to ask for funds from other drivers. We had a driver in our depot who's wife has cancer and one of our stewards came up and asked for a bit of cash to help the guy out. Of course I gave, the driver's one of our own. If UPS found out about it though he'd be in tons of crap.

I don't know if things are different in Canada but I've never seen what you describe. Stewards often collect for things here and I've paid into quite a few of those funds over the years.

2. UPS looks after others before looking after its own employees. In a time when people are being terminated for the most minor of offenses I'm going to horde my money the best I can just in case. Maybe if we weren't worried about being the 'offense of the week' and getting terminated I may donate some.

Again your answer is you won't help your community because of something ups is doing.

3. Last year I volunteered for that Christmas junk. I remember going to a home with two girls in it. One was around 20 and the other MAYBE 16. Apparently their mother was a former UPS employee and the kids still lived with her. We were talking about things and the 20 year old goes, 'I'm going to surprise my mother at Christmas and announce my pregnancy'. Well, ok, congrats. The sixteen year old says, 'yeah, me too!' Why would I help people this stupid? There was also a couple that JUST bought a house. The idiots didn't plan financially and were barely making payments on it so we bought them all this lovely furniture and such.

If you're going to donate to an organization, donate to your local Lions Club. If people need help with them it's a matter of asking a Lions Club member and then ALL the members vote on if the person should get what they need, not just some shmuck behind a desk.

you need to really dig into what the united way does and the people it helps before you make the schmuck comment.

Take one of the many organizations that united way helps fund. Take muscular dystrophy organization. Pay them a visit. Imagine what its like to be trapped inside your own body and to not only be totally helpless but to be without the ability to communicate. Look some kid in a wheel chair straight in the eye and tell him why you hate the united way.

M

Mike23

you need to really dig into what the united way does and the people it helps before you make the schmuck comment.

Take one of the many organizations that united way helps fund. Take muscular dystrophy organization. Pay them a visit. Imagine what its like to be trapped inside your own body and to not only be totally helpless but to be without the ability to communicate. Look some kid in a wheel chair straight in the eye and tell him why you hate the united way.

I could do that but that's only because I'm a heartless jerk. Like I stated in the previous post, you take care of your own first. That's the way the world works, sorry. I'd rather help the driver out whos wife has cancer then the kid in the wheelchair. As I said, I'm heartless but at least I SEE where the money's going instead of hoping it's not redirected into the UW pres' pockets.

Floridacargocat

Well, I have been badgered to donate, and I have refused. I have refused for the very simple reason of being talked to in a way ( in a clearly disguised manner) "that it would be good for my career", that UPS is the only one allowing United Way to use their name for United Way purposes, and "we all are "voluntarily" donating. I am not using my special expression for this as it would reveal too much.
I am contributing by other means, by helping out in our charity events such as painting houses whenever asked by my FT sup, and by donating to worthy causes when it comes to UPS associates in need in our building.
As a PT sup, I am not getting that much, and every cent counts (and I am grateful that I have this position, and I do my best to do whatever is necessary), but there is a limit.
I am not heartless, but I also have to look after certain priorities. Oncee these are attended to, we can talk. I have seen poverty in places where UPS has not yet been, and I have adopted two kids in a country far from here. One has developed into a bright young man, full of promises, the other has succumbed to the allures and temptations of the "easy" life in the USA.
There are many other possibilities to be charitable, in kind and in mind. United Way is not the only one.

tieguy

Banned
Well, I have been badgered to donate, and I have refused. I have refused for the very simple reason of being talked to in a way ( in a clearly disguised manner) "that it would be good for my career", that UPS is the only one allowing United Way to use their name for United Way purposes, and "we all are "voluntarily" donating. I am not using my special expression for this as it would reveal too much.
I am contributing by other means, by helping out in our charity events such as painting houses whenever asked by my FT sup, and by donating to worthy causes when it comes to UPS associates in need in our building.
As a PT sup, I am not getting that much, and every cent counts (and I am grateful that I have this position, and I do my best to do whatever is necessary), but there is a limit.
I am not heartless, but I also have to look after certain priorities. Oncee these are attended to, we can talk. I have seen poverty in places where UPS has not yet been, and I have adopted two kids in a country far from here. One has developed into a bright young man, full of promises, the other has succumbed to the allures and temptations of the "easy" life in the USA.
There are many other possibilities to be charitable, in kind and in mind. United Way is not the only one.

If you need a reason to not give you can probably find one.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
it's very simple, united way is about helping others.

Giving to united way is a personal choice, that is the way i have handled it in our building ever since i started running the pledge drive. It's unfortunate that some think they have to strongarm those to give, have never done that, or thought i needed to.

It's also unfortuante that those in your center are getting back at ups for these 2 drivers by not donating.

Well, to restate my earlier post, we stopped giving
t h r o u g h u p s. To my knowledge no one ever stopped giving.
The only ones you are hurting are those who are usually far less fortunate than we are who need the services and money united way provides to those charities.

Not hurting anyone by giving.

If you really want to get back at ups, pledge to uw, at least ups gives up another 15% on top of what you do.

Not about getting back at ups. More about not taking a seat on the crazy train that travels along like we are all agreeing that ups is a family oriented organization, when they fail to consider families of drivers who work long hours while available drivers are homr on layoff wondering how to pay their medical when they done have hours to make minimum premium.
Also remember that you can choose to give to an agency of your choice by using a donor choice form(also online this year). This way you know your money is going where you want, and ups kicks in 15% to your local united way on top of that.

Ups can give as much or as little as it sees fit, and certainly does not need me to help them decide how much is enough.

Giving to uw, and helping those in need, in the communities where we live and work should not be about work politics.

i agree wholeheartedly, which is why i do not involve ups with my charitible contributions.

Roll Tide Roll

f5-7-Stop Complete
You do know who you are giving to, you have the option to select the organization that receives the funds you donate.

You're right. The organizations that I select just don't happen to be UW agencies.

If you choose not to select an organization then you donation is put into the Community Fund and which is given to all organizations.

Such as Planned Parenthood.

There is no glory in giving money to help others, not in my opinion at least not a glory that should be recognized by anyone other than you and GOD. Read Matthew 6:3-4, I feel that no one should know what you give and if you mention it then I think that you have the wrong intentions.

So why does UPS mention it in press releases.

We all forget that there are people who are less fortunate than us, I just visited a children's orphanage that is an organization funded by United Way. I will say that it broke my heart to see those kids without families and knowing that they may never have the opportunities that we were given to succeed in life. I am not an advocate for United Way, but I am an advocate for helping others regardless of how you do it and who you contribute to. I know that you are blessed when you help others and that a true measure of your wealth is not how much money you have in the bank, but how much of it you use to help others.

Bottom line is that there are many worthy charities that do wonderful things for people in need. If a UPSer chooses to give to United Way then that is great, but if they choose not to, they should not be harrassed or called into a sup's office. That is crossing the line into private life. My sup told me he was just trying to get 100% participation (another number for Corporate to chase I guess). UPS's attitude, that is displayed at my center, is more of a contest than a humanitarian effort. I have no problem with UPS making the information about UW available to me, but I have a problem with a barcoded, preprinted, payroll deduction sheet, with my name and info on it handed to me in front of my coworkers, as if United Way is the only worthy cause out there because UPS says so. And I have a problem with UPS using a charity to enhance its corporate image. By the way, if we want to improve our corporate image, how about we deliver our packages on time and undamaged. That would do wonders for our image in our customers eyes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Bottom line is that there are many worthy charities that do wonderful things for people in need. If a UPSer chooses to give to United Way then that is great, but if they choose not to, they should not be harrassed or called into a sup's office. That is crossing the line into private life. My sup told me he was just trying to get 100% participation (another number for Corporate to chase I guess). UPS's attitude, that is displayed at my center, is more of a contest than a humanitarian effort. I have no problem with UPS making the information about UW available to me, but I have a problem with a barcoded, preprinted, payroll deduction sheet, with my name and info on it handed to me in front of my coworkers, as if United Way is the only worthy cause out there because UPS says so. And I have a problem with UPS using a charity to enhance its corporate image. By the way, if we want to improve our corporate image, how about we deliver our packages on time and undamaged. That would do wonders for our image in our customers eyes.

I was UW coordinator several times. 100% is what the company expected. If everyone gave $1, the numbers were made. I never got into the principle part of it - everybody almost always gave at least a dollar.

PS: I've been a Leadership giver before the company even came up with the recognition level. I have given at least 5 times more money to needy people and charities outside the UPS United Way program.

Last edited:

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I wanted to donate to my favorite 501c3(non profit org). I was told that I could do that, though the UW. So I did, until 75% of the year went by. The money guy for the 501c3 thanked me for my donation of X amount. I asked him where the rest of it was, and he told me that was all we were getting from UW. I checked into it, and found out that 20% of my donation was "admin costs". So now I don't go though UW.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I was UW coordinator several times. 100% is what the company expected. If everyone gave $1, the numbers were made. I never got into the principle part of it - everybody always gave at least a dollar.

PS: I've been a Leadership giver before the company even came up with the recognition level. I have given at least 5 times more money to needy people and charities outside the UPS United Way program.

Ok, super.
Good for you.
Seriously, that's commendable.
But what's your point?
RollTideRoll, to whom you were replying, was making the point that it's a personal choice and that he resented the companies pressure tactics.
That is the point being made by numerous people on this forum and it seems to flying right over the heads of a select group of, I'm sorry, but management people.
Are you guys really that brain washed not to comprehend this premise?

tieguy

Banned
I wanted to donate to my favorite 501c3(non profit org). I was told that I could do that, though the UW. So I did, until 75% of the year went by. The money guy for the 501c3 thanked me for my donation of X amount. I asked him where the rest of it was, and he told me that was all we were getting from UW. I checked into it, and found out that 20% of my donation was "admin costs". So now I don't go though UW.

You realize there is a cost associated with collecting funds don't you? When I give to muscular dystrophy I would like to think that 100 percent of the money goes to that charity but I realize that there is a cost associated with fund raising activities. UW is nothing more then a means to make it easy to give that money. I would like to think I could still give 100 percent directly to a charity. But I am a realist. I know that most people would not give to this charity regularly if an organization like uw did not come around and lock in a committment and make it easy for you to do so through payroll deduction.

For some reason unknown to me we expect the folks that run UW to be a bunch of monks that do not expect to recieve a paycheck. We somehow expect them to live and eat without a paycheck. thats just not realistic.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ok, super.
Good for you.
Seriously, that's commendable.
But what's your point?
RollTideRoll, to whom you were replying, was making the point that it's a personal choice and that he resented the companies pressure tactics.
That is the point being made by numerous people on this forum and it seems to flying right over the heads of a select group of, I'm sorry, but management people.
Are you guys really that brain washed not to comprehend this premise?

I guess what I said zoomed right over your head too.
Give a freakin $1 and they will leave you along!
Principle is not worth much ... not even to wipe your butt with.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I guess what I said zoomed right over your head too.
Give a freakin $1 and they will leave you along!
Principle is not worth much ... not even to wipe your butt with.

First off I do give.
Because I, and I alone choose to.
Secondly, you just said a sour mouth full.
Principles are not worth much???
Principles are worth everything.
Without them you are a whore.
I won't sell out my ideals for a dollar or momentary peace.
Guess that's why I could never be in management.
I'm a more than a little disappointed with that answer Hoaxster.
You normally represent yourself differently.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
First off I do give.
Because I, and I alone choose to.
Secondly, you just said a sour mouth full.
Principles are not worth much???
Principles are worth everything.
Without them you are a whore.
I won't sell out my ideals for a dollar or momentary peace.
Guess that's why I could never be in management.
I'm a more than a little disappointed with that answer Hoaxster.
You normally represent yourself differently.

Sorry to disappoint you. :peaceful:
I meant standing on principle to a fault.
I have given a waitress a 1 cent tip before when they did not deserve it. I think a $1 UW donation is about the same.

If my management is irritating me and I could give them a $1 and then they would go away and leave me along ... I'll pay the $1 every time.
I'm a pragmatist ... first and always.

As far as going into management ... not a place for idealists going around fighting windmills. The job there is to get things done including the "numbers".

Roll Tide Roll

f5-7-Stop Complete
Sorry to disappoint you. :peaceful:
I meant standing on principle to a fault.
I have given a waitress a 1 cent tip before when they did not deserve it. I think a $1 UW donation is about the same.

If my management is irritating me and I could give them a $1 and then they would go away and leave me along ... I'll pay the $1 every time.
I'm a pragmatist ... first and always.

As far as going into management ... not a place for idealists going around fighting windmills. The job there is to get things done including the "numbers".

Management should not be irritating you. That is my point. Give me the info, let me decide, and stand down. My charitable contributions are personal.

Let me ask you Hoaxter- do you give at such high levels because you get a warm fuzzy feeling inside, or because you genuinely want to help someone less fortunate than yourself? Since you're a self- described pragmatist, perhaps it is for the tax deduction.

I get the overwhelming feeling that UPS really only cares about the publicity that comes with being the largest contributor and the pat on the back that comes with it.