Unpaid vacation

542thruNthru

I just figured his boss would be able to tell him no better than we all would with 400 responses. Sooory.

You should be sorry. How dare you think that anyone on here is not smart as his boss! Do you even work for UPS!

By the way I'm trying to do a scooby pumpkin for Halloween. ;)

542thruNthru

Alright thank you just was wondering. Would it help if I asked early January right when the new year starts?

This would depend on when your area bids vacation time. If the week you want is empty and they can spare you then a reasonable manager will allow you to have it off but again they don't have to and I wouldn't count on it(meaning don't book a trip thinking you'll get it off)

This would depend on when your area bids vacation time. If the week you want is empty and they can spare you then a reasonable manager will allow you to have it off but again they don't have to and I wouldn't count on it(meaning don't book a trip thinking you'll get it off)
Alright thank you

MattM

Are people afraid of their bosses or afraid to talk to people?

When I first started, I had a planned trip to the east coast just two months into my job. I simply asked, "hi can I schedule off a week of work. Something's come up". They'll either tell you yes or no.

The only true closed period was black Friday to Christmas day, when scheduled off was a no no.

Now depending on your local, they may require just 10% of your workforce to be allowed off per day. So it's best to ask now, and be on their good side, so to speak.

Vacation/option day fill out forms are also given out mid to late January. So you should know more clearly by February what days or weeks are open or closed. March for us is bad because of spring break and the parents usually take some time off with their kids.

Lastly, for our insurance to stay active, we have to have one active workday on the clock. It could be hours worked, or paid time off. Scheduled off more than likely would put you without insurance for that week.

Are people afraid of their bosses or afraid to talk to people?

When I first started, I had a planned trip to the east coast just two months into my job. I simply asked, "hi can I schedule off a week of work. Something's come up". They'll either tell you yes or no.

The only true closed period was black Friday to Christmas day, when scheduled off was a no no.

Now depending on your local, they may require just 10% of your workforce to be allowed off per day. So it's best to ask now, and be on their good side, so to speak.

Vacation/option day fill out forms are also given out mid to late January. So you should know more clearly by February what days or weeks are open or closed. March for us is bad because of spring break and the parents usually take some time off with their kids.

Lastly, for our insurance to stay active, we have to have one active workday on the clock. It could be hours worked, or paid time off. Scheduled off more than likely would put you without insurance for that week.
He isn't even eligible for insurance yet

MattM

Isn't insurance at 9 months now? Maybe it's not a Nationwide thing? He mentions he'd have been there 10 months in March, so he's right at that starting point. At least in my local he would be