'Unprecedented complexities': UPS suspends service guarantees during coronavirus outbreak

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
'Unprecedented complexities': UPS suspends service guarantees during coronavirus outbreak - The Detroit News

The United Parcel Service has suspended a number of service guarantees in response to the spread of the coronavirus, which "has created unprecedented complexities" in the marketplace, the company announced Friday.

"Until further notice, we have suspended the UPS Service Guarantee for all shipments to any destination, at all service levels," a statement from the company said. "As the effects of the coronavirus impact our infrastructure, we will continue to seek guidance from local and national government entities regarding applicable regulations."

All of the suspensions have either taken effect or go into effect Friday.

tramtwo

I imagine they're getting ready for the upcoming lay-offs, when it will be hard to make commits with a much smaller workforce.

Or when a driver brings a route back and then test positive... and red tape is put all around the truck and its treated as a biohazard and those packages sit there for several days.

Ghost in the Darkness

They just want to take advantage of the situation by cheating their customers who pay for the service that they have found a way out of honoring it. Not much different than peak season when its bend over and grap your ankles time for regular commercial customers who get their air late everyday because amazon needs a favor... and our "safety first" company can start us later everday so we can work more hours in the dark.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We were just talking about this yesterday. My guess is we're dropping commits because the volume is making peak season look like a kid's morning paper route when everyone has been predicting drops in volume, and no helpers allowed. I'm guessing everyone is stocking up for as long as they can, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Once the insanity abates, then we'll start losing volume while everyone works through their surplus inventory.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
They just want to take advantage of the situation by cheating their customers who pay for the service that they have found a way out of honoring it. Not much different than peak season when its bend over and grap your ankles time for regular commercial customers who get their air late everyday because amazon needs a favor... and our "safety first" company can start us later everday so we can work more hours in the dark.
Aren’t you just a ray of sunshine.

Ghost in the Darkness

At least it's daylight savings time, baby!

Thats true now, but the darkest months of the year has us working more hours in the dark based soley on their inability to get air to our areas.... many days it hasn't arrived even by the time of the late start and shuttled out anyways.

How can helpers be allowed when sups are no longer allowed to do ride alongs. I'm not having anyone riding with me, don't care how heavy it gets. What gets done gets done and the rest can wait or put more drivers on the road. Btw its not heavy here yet (i realize it could either way).

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Thats true now, but the darkest months of the year has us working more hours in the dark based soley on their inability to get air to our areas.... many days it hasn't arrived even by the time of the late start and shuttled out anyways.

How can helpers be allowed when sups are no longer allowed to do ride alongs. I'm not having anyone riding with me, don't care how heavy it gets. What gets done gets done and the rest can wait or put more drivers on the road. Btw its not heavy here yet (i realize it could either way).

I was just saying the fact that we can't have helpers, with above peak season numbers (in my area), bolsters the argument for eliminating time commits. The last two days have been the heaviest I have ever had. I'm pretty sure they would be using seasonal drivers in my building if the contract allowed. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked the local union to allow it due to emergency conditions.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
I was just saying the fact that we can't have helpers, with above peak season numbers (in my area), bolsters the argument for eliminating time commits. The last two days have been the heaviest I have ever had. I'm pretty sure they would be using seasonal drivers in my building if the contract allowed. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked the local union to allow it due to emergency conditions.

Then at that point emergency pay need to put in to. No one should be going home, especially when helpers are used.

over9five

Staff member
You guys do NOT want some stranger (helper) in your car, in your face, all day when you know damn well it will greatly increase your chance of catching COVID-19...