Unsafe trucks

Commercial Inside Release

Allegedly, also it was common practice to intimidate drivers who broke down by replacing their vehicle with a much older and uncomfortable vehicle out of spite. Has anyone encountered this situation?
All of the harassment you mentioned are commonplace throughout half of our local. But, you left out an important feature, that I suspect also goes on in other parts of the country...

Management keeps a caudre of bribed stooges, that are sorry excuses for union brothers, who are happy to do ANY dirty work for management to get an easier route, less stops, shorter days, less supervision, and time off whenever they want it. It isn't uncommon to have management instruct his lackeys to keep writing up everything possible to bury a mechanic in work, and threaten him with discipline when he struggles to keep up. Sometimes this harassment happens just by mere unfounded rumors that offend some abject jackazz in management.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
All of the harassment you mentioned are commonplace throughout half of our local. But, you left out an important feature, that I suspect also goes on in other parts of the country...

Management keeps a caudre of bribed stooges, that are sorry excuses for union brothers, who are happy to do ANY dirty work for management to get an easier route, less stops, shorter days, less supervision, and time off whenever they want it. It isn't uncommon to have management instruct his lackeys to keep writing up everything possible to bury a mechanic in work, and threaten him with discipline when he struggles to keep up. Sometimes this harassment happens just by mere unfounded rumors that offend some abject jackazz in management.
Why would they bury the mechanics in work?

Commercial Inside Release

To build up a list of repairs that aren't getting done, and eventually bring discipline against the mechanics. Multiple times our current manager has run us completely out of mechanics, using this method. Other mechs have to drive 400 miles to help out, but only after the entire fleet is beyond repair.

All that matters is the center manager's infantile ego, even if it costs the company millions.

UnionStrong

To build up a list of repairs that aren't getting done, and eventually bring discipline against the mechanics. Multiple times our current manager has run us completely out of mechanics, using this method. Other mechs have to drive 400 miles to help out, but only after the entire fleet is beyond repair.

All that matters is the center manager's infantile ego, even if it costs the company millions.
I’ve never seen that at my bldg. The mechanics were basically they’re own thing. No one in ops messed with them.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Sadly they don’t let us red tag trucks here.
I don’t see it as tough guy at all or trying to cause a problem. Management honestly appreciates it here, they want us doing pre trips and guaranteeing that the trucks aren’t just falling apart or all out of DOT compliance.

I want to go home, but I also want to do what I earn a very fair wage to do and do it as properly as I can. I make mistakes but I don’t make them a habit.
It’s not up to UPS who red tags a truck if it’s not road worthy red tag it

El Correcto

god is dead
It’s not up to UPS who red tags a truck if it’s not road worthy red tag it
They don’t let us do that here, automotive only.
Trust me I’ve tried after reading here that other places do that. It’s crazy to me but they never force me to drive a truck I say should be redtagged.

I’ve also talked about this with the local and they say nothing they can do about it, just refuse to drive it.

El Correcto

god is dead

I’m one of these DVIR complainers. Any small thing with my truck I write it up, if it don’t get fixed in a reasonable time frame I write it up again, usually once every two weeks or so if it’s not safety related.
I also take trucks by automotive in the morning for stuff like nails, amber clearance lights, having a chain stuck in the bumper, etc.

I just want to do the job correctly, I’m not trying to get on their asses about it or cause them unreasonable work loads. We got a lot of great mechanics, but they are severely over worked and not allowed much overtime if any.

Brownwind

I’m one of these DVIR complainers. Any small thing with my truck I write it up, if it don’t get fixed in a reasonable time frame I write it up again, usually once every two weeks or so if it’s not safety related.
I also take trucks by automotive in the morning for stuff like nails, amber clearance lights, having a chain stuck in the bumper, etc.

I just want to do the job correctly, I’m not trying to get on their asses about it or cause them unreasonable work loads. We got a lot of great mechanics, but they are severely over worked and not allowed much overtime if any.
Our mechanics are definitely trying to do their best. Personally I keep my truck clean and try to maintain the doors and washer fluid etc. I’ve noticed if I bring them a beverage and let them know I appreciate the heat or fans working it goes along way. Treat them well and they will treat you well. NEVER drive an unsafe truck…. You can be fired and held liable if you get in an accident. Think about your reputation and your family.
Nope not being a tough guy but speaking from decades of experience. Hope it answers your questions

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I came around to the shop for something minor at my SW. Mechanic was about to punch out to go home. He told me He would do it for a mountain dew. While he was replacing my bulb, I walked over to the break room and got him his drink of choice. Gotta keep the mechanics happy. lol.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I am retired from UPS as a Package car mechanic for 36 years.
Allegedly in some centers it was a common practice for mechanics instructed by their management team to encourage drivers to continue driving their package cars with rear flat tires, broken horns, broken seatbelt, light issues, and more.
I am curious to know if this was a practice that reached beyond my scope of employment with UPS.
NEVER heard of this happening . Yes, dispatch would "try" to get drivers to take unsafe and tractors and trailers when they were up against the wall but it was the driver's responsibility to pre trip.

They knew which drivers would drive just about anything.

BTW there was one mechanic that was fired for disobeying a direct order. Not sure what the circumstances were. Rumor has it he would not pass the inspection on a hot loaded trailer. They had to unload it into another trailer the load missed service.

Of course the mechanic got his job back.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

NEVER heard of this happening . Yes, dispatch would "try" to get drivers to take unsafe and tractors and trailers when they were up against the wall but it was the driver's responsibility to pre trip.

They knew which drivers would drive just about anything.

BTW there was one mechanic that was fired for disobeying a direct order. Not sure what the circumstances were. Rumor has it he would not pass the inspection on a hot loaded trailer. They had to unload it into another trailer the load missed service.

Of course the mechanic got his job back.
Sure pal.

DriverNerd

I've only refused to take out a truck one time and management told me that if the mechanics couldn't fix it to grab an empty and unload it. Mechanics fixed it in about 20 minutes. No trying to convince me or tell me to take it out unsafe. Our hub is pretty good about that.