UPS 20 yrs from now!

upsgrunt

I see people imagining something that they want, ordering it; and then receiving what the didn't imagine would be deliverable.

The other day I had, in the same day, these deliveries for separate stops: 20 spools of wire, a hot tub, a lawn mower, and a large truck bumper; in a 7 cube. We don't refuse anything anymore.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The other day I had, in the same day, these deliveries for separate stops: 20 spools of wire, a hot tub, a lawn mower, and a large truck bumper; in a 7 cube. We don't refuse anything anymore.

The only thing I've ever refused to load in my truck (preload days) was a cover to a hottub going to a local hottub/pool retailer. The truck that it was supposed to go in was a heavy business rte and it just flat wouldn't fit. I don't think I could have even got it in the back door, because of the size of it, but I didn't bother trying. The retailer had to come and get it.

browniehound

I happen to be of the opinion that the future looks bright for UPS. Yes, the competition is breathing down our neck but I believe its as far as they will get. The competition doesn't have the desire or impetus to run as efficently as UPS. If they had the desire they would have developed EDD/PAS and telematics on their own.

I understand UPS suffers from higher labor costs, but they enjoy stop-density that Fed-Ex ground can only dream of. I also believe in the appearence of our drivers compared to Fed-Ex ground. People notice this.

I don't know all the facts, but my gut tells me Fed-Ex ground has gone as far as it will. I mean no disrespect to the Fed-ex ground drivers but the customers percieve them as transients of some sort and the UPS driver as a man or woman that they've know for years or decades. When I first started I talk with a woman at my daughter's cheerleading comp.(I showed up in my uniform) who said she had the same UPS driver at her house for the last 15 years and she loves the guy.

It was the first of many stories I heard or hear from customers. I'm not talking about business customers. I'm talking residential consignees here. When I would cover routes I was amazed at the amount of "residentials" that know the UPS driver this well!

Do you think Fed-Ex ground has this luxury?

Yes, the negatives of UPS include (maybe) price, damages, or being too large to be personal ( I often hear I call the number and can't get anywhere!!).

If I were to start a business today, I would copy the cost controls UPS employs. I would model UPS efficencies in my own business. How could you not? I know Fed-Ex doesn't, why?

UPS has been turning a profit for a century. Why would we believe this will change?

Superior technology, management, and labor (how may fed-ex drivers could pull a UPS route day in/out?) will keep UPS as the leader in the indusrty.

I really take pride in my job even though its mindless labor. Yes my body aches (my only gripe I have with the job), but I want to do this job than any other in the world and I mean that. Yeah, I would like to be a doctor, senator, president, etc, but I'm not capable of that. Of the jobs I'm capable of doing, I want to do this. For example, I don't want to be a roofer, carpenter, painter, garbage man, machinist, mechanic, stone mason, bartender, pimp(lol).

I like people and the outdoors. UPS is a perfect match for me.

bbsam

Staff member
I happen to be of the opinion that the future looks bright for UPS. Yes, the competition is breathing down our neck but I believe its as far as they will get. The competition doesn't have the desire or impetus to run as efficently as UPS. If they had the desire they would have developed EDD/PAS and telematics on their own.

I understand UPS suffers from higher labor costs, but they enjoy stop-density that Fed-Ex ground can only dream of. I also believe in the appearence of our drivers compared to Fed-Ex ground. People notice this.

I don't know all the facts, but my gut tells me Fed-Ex ground has gone as far as it will. I mean no disrespect to the Fed-ex ground drivers but the customers percieve them as transients of some sort and the UPS driver as a man or woman that they've know for years or decades. When I first started I talk with a woman at my daughter's cheerleading comp.(I showed up in my uniform) who said she had the same UPS driver at her house for the last 15 years and she loves the guy.

It was the first of many stories I heard or hear from customers. I'm not talking about business customers. I'm talking residential consignees here. When I would cover routes I was amazed at the amount of "residentials" that know the UPS driver this well!

Do you think Fed-Ex ground has this luxury?

Yes, the negatives of UPS include (maybe) price, damages, or being too large to be personal ( I often hear I call the number and can't get anywhere!!).

If I were to start a business today, I would copy the cost controls UPS employs. I would model UPS efficencies in my own business. How could you not? I know Fed-Ex doesn't, why?

UPS has been turning a profit for a century. Why would we believe this will change?

Superior technology, management, and labor (how may fed-ex drivers could pull a UPS route day in/out?) will keep UPS as the leader in the indusrty.

I really take pride in my job even though its mindless labor. Yes my body aches (my only gripe I have with the job), but I want to do this job than any other in the world and I mean that. Yeah, I would like to be a doctor, senator, president, etc, but I'm not capable of that. Of the jobs I'm capable of doing, I want to do this. For example, I don't want to be a roofer, carpenter, painter, garbage man, machinist, mechanic, stone mason, bartender, pimp(lol).

I like people and the outdoors. UPS is a perfect match for me.
Actually, Fedex I believe is implementing it's version of Telematics as we speak. It's called Vision and from what I've heard, once it's in place in a given terminal it is absolutely amazing. It's supposed to be in the mid-west by late August.

I think you discount Fedex Ground too easily. Remember RPS? They weren't suppoed to survive. And we may never be #1, but we may bring a 2 tiered pay structure to your door. We may never be the customer's best bud, but we might get the package to them as fast if not faster and possibly cheaper.

Don't be so narcissistic about your company. You have serious problems that the economy going forward is going to find hard to accept.

browniehound

Actually, Fedex I believe is implementing it's version of Telematics as we speak. It's called Vision and from what I've heard, once it's in place in a given terminal it is absolutely amazing. It's supposed to be in the mid-west by late August.

I think you discount Fedex Ground too easily. Remember RPS? They weren't suppoed to survive. And we may never be #1, but we may bring a 2 tiered pay structure to your door. We may never be the customer's best bud, but we might get the package to them as fast if not faster and possibly cheaper.

Don't be so narcissistic about your company. You have serious problems that the economy going forward is going to find hard to accept.

Well if Fed-ex is implementing its own version of telematics as we speak then its too late for them. They are behind the curve. UPS was first and is first in most cases.

Also, I'm not narcissistic at the least about UPS. I was just suggesting some facts. If UPS has "serious problems that the economy going forward is going to find hard to accept" then its my belief that the entire US will be doomed. Are you betting against the US economy? Maybe we will be in recession for the rest of our lives, but I doubt it.

Whatever economy exists its going to need to move parcels. My bet is that it will choose UPS. It has for the most recent decades. Why would I think anything different?

bbsam

Staff member
Without the UPS way of doing things "then the entire U.S. is doomed." Did you really write that? And in the sentence just following your assertion that you are not being "narcissistic in th least"? Really? You see, that's the mindset that let's Fedex thrive. UPS seems to have the idea that any company that leaves for Fedex will come back in six months. Well, sometimes they do. Many times they don't. But as long is the idea persists that they will choose UPS because "It has for the most recent decades" UPS will continue to have stiffer and stiffer competition. Why would you think differently? I honestly don't think you would. Not sure I would want you to think differently.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Brownie, bbsam has some really good points that merit our consideration. Our price point is either at or near a level that has customers researching other options for shipping in an effort to control costs. Brand loyalty only goes so far. Look at your own shopping habits. Do you always buy the name brand or do you buy the generic knowing that it is "just as good"? This recession will have a lasting effect on our economy and, in regard to shipping, I think you will see shippers continue to look at alternatives.

It was brought up in another thread that a survey of commercial customers had been conducted and appearance of the delivery driver was not considered to be a factor when selecting a carrier. The bottom line--cost--was the number one factor and it is this that may very well shape the future of UPS.

Try getting a sales lead and you will see what I and bbsam are talking about. Better yet, go to your local UPS Store and ship a package---make sure to bring the big checkbook. We are not cheap by any means.

Brownie, bbsam has some really good points that merit our consideration. Our price point is either at or near a level that has customers researching other options for shipping in an effort to control costs. Brand loyalty only goes so far. Look at your own shopping habits. Do you always buy the name brand or do you buy the generic knowing that it is "just as good"? This recession will have a lasting effect on our economy and, in regard to shipping, I think you will see shippers continue to look at alternatives.

It was brought up in another thread that a survey of commercial customers had been conducted and appearance of the delivery driver was not considered to be a factor when selecting a carrier. The bottom line--cost--was the number one factor and it is this that may very well shape the future of UPS.

Try getting a sales lead and you will see what I and bbsam are talking about. Better yet, go to your local UPS Store and ship a package---make sure to bring the big checkbook. We are not cheap by any means.

+1

NHDRVR

20 years from now I will be a memory (and hopefully getting a pension). I do think UPS will be going strong in the years to come and, in reference to another post in this thread, concessions will have to be made by the Union due to current economic circumstances. To think UPS will acquiesce to the demands of the Union (sorry folks) while changes are being made nationally with health care plans and retirement funds is foolish. This is something a strike will not be able to fix. I am speaking of large scale changes and not things like the over 70lb strike (remember that?)...

When the next contract is up, 2013, we will also be incorporating the new UPS freight drivers (from Overnight, i think) and I know that although they are UPS/Teamster employees they do not have our health/welfare package... A rumor floating around up here is to keep our benefits package 'about' the same but instituting a pay freeze as compensation.

With ObamaCare (not a fan) I can see some changes in our Health plan coming down the road also and I am not talking about the co-pay changes either.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am not seeing what a lot of you are with the Fedex drivers. Our drivers here, for the most part, are professional and courteous and take really good care of their customers. I don't think Fedex is going anywhere anytime soon. The biggest reason is people change their minds all the time. One will get pissed off at something we do (mostly service failures) and change over to Fedex. Then it will change again. We do have a base of loyal followers but if management doesn't start doing something about the service (IE- breaking out rtes) we are going to slowly lose that base. Price and service go hand in hand. We need to get back to consistency.

20 yrs from now came to my house yesterday. Four sets of custom valve stems delivered by FDX ground! At least my Medco refill will come next week by UPS...that's about all I get coming UPS!!!!!!!!