ups 401k

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't know if that is allowed but if you do have a traditional IRA somewhere else I would seriously considering converting it now.
Yeah, I have unrealized losses in a trade account in the 40k range, so I could offset the tax burden and almost break even on that transaction. Still sucks closing a negative 40k position.

Yeah, I have unrealized losses in a trade account in the 40k range, so I could offset the tax burden and almost break even on that transaction. Still sucks closing a negative 40k position.
You don't have to get out of the market just move it to a different investment

For instance if you had all that $40, 000 in s&P 500 sell it off and maybe move it to like a large cap fund you'd still be in the stock market but you could realize a capital loss

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You think you get spanked with taxes on overtime, try adding 401k withdrawals on top of a drivers income.

As long as you have at least 20% withheld for Federal taxes and at least 10% for state taxes the hit wouldn't be too bad. They are waiving the 10% early withdrawal penalty for anyone under 59 1/2.

That being said, it should be done only as a last resort.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You don't have to get out of the market just move it to a different investment

For instance if you had all that $40, 000 in s&P 500 sell it off and maybe move it to like a large cap fund you'd still be in the stock market but you could realize a capital loss
Yeah, problem is you’re only allowed 3k capital loss per year. The loss is 40k, so it would take some nice realized gains soon or I’m forwarding losses for 13 years against regular income. If I do the above I can wipe out my tax liability and place it in a tax free gain sheltered plan in one swoop.

Obviously I could farm the tax loss with some gains in future years, but the above mention plan would be better in the long run.

Yeah, problem is you’re only allowed 3k capital loss per year. The loss is 40k, so it would take some nice realized gains soon or I’m forwarding losses for 13 years against regular income. If I do the above I can wipe out my tax liability and place it in a tax free gain sheltered plan in one swoop.

Obviously I could farm the tax loss with some gains in future years, but the above mention plan would be better in the long run.
I don't think I'll let you convert your 401k money to a Roth in my honest opinion, I could be wrong but nothing wrong with harvesting tax losses and still keeping that money in the market

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I don't think I'll let you convert your 401k money to a Roth in my honest opinion, I could be wrong but nothing wrong with harvesting tax losses and still keeping that money in the market
Yeah, I’m thinking that’s going to be a no go as well. The other option was to just slam 2 IRA’s with the penalty free withdrawal and figure out taxes on next years filings.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Because moving from a traditional to after tax would cause a taxable event. Secondly, the plan has rules, of which this might not be allowed to move between contributions, just future would be allowed.

No, I am talking about shifting some of your pretax in to the SMA to take advantage of the downturn in the market.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
taxes are waived if you pay it back in 3 years
This is super dangerous. There’s a reason 401k plans force you to pay taxes up front (I think it’s minimum 15% they keep and send to the IRS). They know people don’t end up paying the taxes with their withdrawal and end up peeing the IRS for years if they didn’t.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
This is super dangerous. There’s a reason 401k plans force you to pay taxes up front (I think it’s minimum 15% they keep and send to the IRS). They know people don’t end up paying the taxes with their withdrawal and end up peeing the IRS for years if they didn’t.
i am just telling you what i read