UPS and Oil

BadHABITS

Well... I'm not sure what the cost of filling your average package car is. A Boeing 767 300ER has a maximum fuel capacity of 23980 U.S. gallons. 23,980x$4=$95,920! I don't know the the exact cost per gal UPS pays but most likely close to diesel. These aircraft are fuel efficient but that's a lot of gas money!

rod

Retired 22 years
Oh yes. In addition to my 60 gallons of diesel, I have over 100 gallons of gasoline set aside for my van,

generator and chainsaw

you do realize that the average shelf life of gasoline now days is about 3 weeks don't you. I really like your way of thinking on a lot of your posts but if you are saving over 100 galons of gas I hope you at least added some Stabil to it

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
you do realize that the average shelf life of gasoline now days is about 3 weeks don't you. I really like your way of thinking on a lot of your posts but if you are saving over 100 galons of gas I hope you at least added some Stabil to it
Gas will last for at least 6 months if you keep it in an airtight gas can, and a year or more when you add 2 oz of sta-bil, which I do. I also rotate my gas out by running it thru my old truck once it gets a year old, and then I refill the can with fresh fuel.
I can remember getting up at 4:00 AM with my folks and going to wait in line for gas back in '73. Im not interested in doing that again.

reydluap

The current fad is to bash biofuels by blaming them for higher food prices. To some extent this is true, but the problem lies with the crops being used. Soy and corn are very inefficient methods of producing biodiesel and ethanol in terms of gallons per acre.

I agree with your statement....but why don't anyone ever say anything about the farm subsidies that PAYS farmers NOT to plant corn/beans on their farms? Living here in farm country....I see farm ground sitting idle every year.

My understanding is that the amount of corn ethanol it takes to fill up one SUV. You could feed one person for a year.

soberups

My understanding is that the amount of corn ethanol it takes to fill up one SUV. You could feed one person for a year.
That sounds about right. Corn is a horrible way to make ethanol. Hemp would be a far better choice, as would switchgrass. Unfortunately, neither of those crops has much in the way of a lobby in Washington DC.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Oh yes. In addition to my 60 gallons of diesel, I have over 100 gallons of gasoline set aside for my van, generator and chainsaw. I keep a minimum of 3 cords of wood split and ready to go for my woodstove. We stock up on canned goods and bottled water when they go on sale. If there is any sort of crisis or natural disaster, I'm good to go for several weeks or even months. And if the zombies invade and try to take it all away from me... they will find out the hard way that I have also stocked up on several thousand of rounds of ammunition. I dont want to count on "the government" to take care of me or my family in a crisis, such as Katrina.

what about nuclear, or biological, do you have a game plan for these.

soberups

what about nuclear, or biological, do you have a game plan for these.
If you mean gas masks and radiation suits, no. About all I could do...is bug out and hit the road without having to wait in line for gas like everyone else. I guess I could load up my utility trailer with gear and head to the woods for a few weeks. I have enough food, fuel, water and weapons to survive off the grid for quite awhile if I had to.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I dont know if a dirty nuke or a chemical attack would put us more at risk. There are some interesting videos on youtube from people who have made their own underground bunkers, also some old movies from the 50's or 60's about fallout shelters and people calmly going into them like its going to be one big sleepover. Hell, if a bomb dropped on any number of cities it would be absolute chaos. Call me a freak, but I really dont think a gas mask and some sort of tyvek suit would be that weird. I think most people would be able to survive for only a couple of days without some sort of govt assistance...look at the anarchy when katririna hit.

UPS Lifer

I dont know if a dirty nuke or a chemical attack would put us more at risk. There are some interesting videos on youtube from people who have made their own underground bunkers, also some old movies from the 50's or 60's about fallout shelters and people calmly going into them like its going to be one big sleepover. Hell, if a bomb dropped on any number of cities it would be absolute chaos. Call me a freak, but I really dont think a gas mask and some sort of tyvek suit would be that weird. I think most people would be able to survive for only a couple of days without some sort of govt assistance...look at the anarchy when katririna hit.

Some of you are to young to understand what it was like in the 50's -60's. We were well versed in bomb shelters and some families actually had them! As a kid, I always wondered if "it" would ever escalate to pushing the button. We lived with that every day and there were constant reminders every time a crisis happened. Kruschev and the US were always going at it.

satellitedriver

In school we had drills and we went under our desks.....like that would really protect us from anything.:knockedout:
I lived in Houston during the Cuban misslie crisis.
We were a prime target and within range of a nuke strike.
We had practice drills at school and went into the hallway.
Fetal position, head to the wall and our hands around the back of our necks.
During one of these daily exercises, an ambulance went by with it's sirens blaring.
Being a good catholic boy, I removed my hand from the back of my neck and made the sign of the cross and prayed for the safety of the person in the ambulance, as I was taught to do.
The Sister supervising the drill poked me with her pointing stick and told me to keep my hands on my neck.
The irony of that moment has never left me.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sat.....our family did the ambulance thing too. It was a nice thing to say a little prayer for someone who might be in a health crisis or accident.

One of the things we did on Good Friday was that during the 3 hours between noon and 3 PM (supposedly the time Christ hung on the cross) we maintained silence in our house. No TV, no radio, no phone no talking at all. This tradition broke for good when my adult cousin came to visit during one of these times and yelled out......."Whatsa matter, cat got your tongues!!" We laughed ourselves silly.

To this day, I wonder if during Christ's time they were on Pacific, Eastern or daylight saving's time and how did we know those were the exact hours He was on the cross?

We may not have kept the practices of our childhood, but I think those were simpler times and our characters were forming and we turned out as OK kids with some morals intact.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was discussing the current gas prices with the manager of a local convenience store and he made an excellent point when he stated that, while the prices indeed are high now, imagine how much higher they may be if there were a "crisis" in the Middle East which severely impacted the supply of oil. This should be a wake-up call that this is the time for serious attention to alternative fuels. I applaud sober in his efforts to use alternative fuels, especially bio-diesel; however, this would not work in my area as there is only one station that offers bio-diesel and the price makes it prohibitive (over $5/gal). Conventional diesel is $4.74/gal and regular unleaded is $3.99 and will surely cross the $4 mark this weekend. Although they are our competitor, I do feel for the Fed Ex ground guys.