UPS, are you asking for it?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I dont know whats going out there, but something is happening at UPS, something big. The amount of work has increased, yet no ones around to help. Air for drivers has increased no matter the time to travel to each route. Drivers are being fired here and there, and talk of others being fired elsewhere.

Is it me or is this company going to see another strike soon?

This company does weird things, all of you can admit to that. I like staying around to see the show. But is it me or are things going to get real ugly in the near future (well, more then usual ).

Let us know what you think. Is it conspiracy, is it end times or is the same garbage this company does to us each and everyday. Thanks!

The Milkman

I dont know whats going out there, but something is happening at UPS, something big. The amount of work has increased, yet no ones around to help. Air for drivers has increased no matter the time to travel to each route. Drivers are being fired here and there, and talk of others being fired elsewhere.

This company does weird things, all of you can admit to that. I like staying around to see the show. But is it me or are things going to get real ugly in the near future (well, more then usual ).

Let us know what you think. Is it conspiracy, is it end times or is the same garbage this company does to us each and everyday. Thanks!

After every peak they do strange things. If you have been around any length of time you would of expected it.. That said, the higher ups are trying to figure out the next moves to make everyone miserable untill volume picks up then maybe things will settle down:knockedout::knockedout:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's time for the Me-sters to join the Teamsters.
Till then the company will continue to run amuck regardless of what time of year it is.

Footnote: The term Me-ster is property of anonymous. Any reproduction or retransmission of said term without the expressed written consent of anonymous is solely prohibited.

klein

Für Meno :)
See, I think peak season is a drill and a test, to see how much more a driver can handle volume wise.
Upper management looks forward to peak.

Then once it's all over, they discover, that a driver can handle much more then was expected, and they are looking for ways to keep that efficiency (stops per hr, volume per truck , etc.)
They basically discovered they can earn more profit, with less drivers and vehicles.

I only went thru 1 peak myself, and sure enough, once it was done, routes were cut on a daily basis.
By May, most drivers have run out of optional days.

See, there could be 4 trucks lined up, with an 8+ hr workday on each... well the number game starts.... hmm, cut 1 of those, and let the other 3 work 11+ hrs shifts. Then they go on the next 4 trucks, and cut another route, and so on.
Before the day starts, several routes have been cut, while all remaining drivers work a few OT hrs.

Ofcourse the firing sqad was out there, too. 3 or 4 drivers were canned by June, for all kinds of reasons, even 3rd accidents, etc.

What management doesn't seem to get, that while in peak, most of it is for resi's, that are easy and fast to drop off.
Trying later to cut 3 routes into 2, doesn't work that way - there is extra milage, many more businesses, and almost impossible to retreive sceduled pick-ups and drop off times, and ofcourse do everything before business closing times.

But we all know - all they look at are numbers.

Reminder : That's only my opinion, the way I seen it & felt it and experienced it.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
After every peak they do strange things. If you have been around any length of time you would of expected it.. That said, the higher ups are trying to figure out the next moves to make everyone miserable untill volume picks up then maybe things will settle down:knockedout::knockedout:

Oh i know that!

But that only seems to last a week at most... here they are seeming to go week after week.

I really hope that its true now, after being here three years and seeing what you were saying. But as seeing it now from here, I dont know whats going to happen. But I do understand it isnt going to be as it is now. It cant be, 700 between two cars out of four isnt something they will allow, even the most dumbares of soups.

The Milkman

Oh i know that!

But that only seems to last a week at most... here they are seeming to go week after week.

I really hope that its true now, after being here three years and seeing what you were saying. But as seeing it now from here, I dont know whats going to happen. But I do understand it isnt going to be as it is now. It cant be, 700 between two cars out of four isnt something they will allow, even the most dumbares of soups.

One thing you can count on at UPS is that things are always changing, just like managers...They come and go....Just when things seem to be running smoothly, in comes another D/M who decides to run things his way and thus the circus act continues:greedy:

Returntosender

One thing you can count on at UPS is that things are always changing, just like managers...They come and go....Just when things seem to be running smoothly, in comes another D/M who decides to run things his way and thus the circus act continues:greedy:
The revolving door for management changes is really moving. Sups have big targets on them.

klein

Für Meno :)
actually it was 2 peaks, I was hired in November.
But, I got off easy, just had to do an industrial area, and airport - no resi's at all.
I did help out another driver a few times though.

That was a simple peak for me (me still be fairly new - they gave me a break, I suppose, besides I was lucky, the driver I replaced was on comp, and they gave me his "sugar - route", because I trained with him and new the area and stops well ).

Oh i know that!

You should know by now that after peak is friend with the Employee season. It always happens. Some of the wheat gets separated from the chaff. Keep your nose clean and do your job safely and correctly and you`ll be around for next years FWE season.

See, I think peak season is a drill and a test, to see how much more a driver can handle volume wise.
Upper management looks forward to peak.

Then once it's all over, they discover, that a driver can handle much more then was expected, and they are looking for ways to keep that efficiency (stops per hr, volume per truck , etc.)
They basically discovered they can earn more profit, with less drivers and vehicles.
Funny they having just discovered it.

I only went thru 1 peak (2) myself, and sure enough, once it was done, routes were cut on a daily basis.
By May, most drivers have run out of optional days.

See, there could be 4 trucks lined up, with an 8+ hr workday on each... well the number game starts.... hmm, cut 1 of those, and let the other 3 work 11+ hrs shifts. Then they go on the next 4 trucks, and cut another route, and so on.
Before the day starts, several routes have been cut, while all remaining drivers work a few OT hrs.

My gosh, you`re just like Dustin Hoffman in "RainMan"! "Counting cards, 246 toothpicks, 30 min till Judge Wapner, Quantas never crashed"

Ofcourse the firing sqad was out there, too. 3 or 4 drivers were canned by June, for all kinds of reasons, even 3rd accidents, etc.
Or maybe, I don`t know wild ass guess, drinking?

What management doesn't seem to get, that while in peak, most of it is for resi's, that are easy and fast to drop off.
Trying later to cut 3 routes into 2, doesn't work that way - there is extra milage, many more businesses, and almost impossible to retreive sceduled pick-ups and drop off times, and ofcourse do everything before business closing times.

Far be it for me to just stick up for management but they "get it" far more than you know.

But we all know - all they look at are numbers.

Reminder : That's only my opinion, the way I seen it & felt it and experienced it.

Now I know what I love about you so much. The untapped wisdom that comes from 18 months or so of being in the trenches. It`s almost like Moses coming down from the mountain with the tablets.

We 25+ years guys are in your debt fine Sir.

whiskey

It's you.

Now I know what I love about you so much. The untapped wisdom that comes from 18 months or so of being in the trenches. It`s almost like Moses coming down from the mountain with the tablets.

We 25+ years guys are in your debt fine Sir.
Thanks Cach I just spit out my beer. Lol

tieguy

Banned

Oh no please don't beat me tough old union guy.

washington57

Don't kill yourself. if you think you are being taken advantage of then stop letting them. Work as best you can but set a pace for yourself everyday and stop worrying. You are paid to load the trucks. that's it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Don't kill yourself. if you think you are being taken advantage of then stop letting them. Work as best you can but set a pace for yourself everyday and stop worrying. You are paid to load the trucks. that's it.

x10. No one can beat you but yourself, or as Eleanor Roosevelt said (at least iirc) "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" It's all on you, you cannot control what is out of your control