UPS CFO announces layoffs in 09

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I've heard that the Utah-Idaho District will be "abolished". The Utah part will go to Sac-valley area, and the Idaho part will go to the Portland District. I'll elaborate on it to you BSUUPS if you want.

There is no "Portland" district, there is an "Oregon" district that covers all of Oregon and a few small areas of northern California and SW Washington. There is a Portland Division that has 4 centers on Swan Island in downtown Portland.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I've heard that the Utah-Idaho District will be "abolished". The Utah part will go to Sac-valley area, and the Idaho part will go to the Portland District. I'll elaborate on it to you BSUUPS if you want.

The Utah-Idaho District is no longer, it was gone a year or so ago it is now the Great Basin District and includes southern Nevada.

Admin here in the central states. I do cpps for our district. We have gone from 0553 last year, merged with SW Region, and became 0653. My new plans all came back numbered 0653 until September, then we started getting 0676 as the region district designation. Since 76 is Washington and this is NOT currently a district, and certainly NOT in West/SW, what IS going on?? Either we have a major geographic shift coming up, or a fat fingered contract programer.

Apollo

The Utah-Idaho District is no longer, it was gone a year or so ago it is now the Great Basin District and includes southern Nevada.

I'm fairly sure i'll keep my job at my hub. They won't "abolish" it anyways. SLCUT hub is right on I-15 and I-80 two MAJOR arteries to the rest of the country... so i'm pretty relaxed about it now. :peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm fairly sure i'll keep my job at my hub. They won't "abolish" it anyways. SLCUT hub is right on I-15 and I-80 two MAJOR arteries to the rest of the country... so i'm pretty relaxed about it now. :peaceful:

They may not "abolish" it but, depending upon your seniority within the hub, someone else may fill it instead.

UPS Lifer

This is what I miss the most about not working.... THE RUMORS!!

I am glad I have BC to stay up to speed in the grape vine!

stringerman85

This is what I miss the most about not working.... THE RUMORS!!

I am glad I have BC to stay up to speed in the grape vine!

Yeah I hear ya...Damn rumors, They've been talking about cutting shifts at our facility all year and it never happens....I'm in the "Show Me" state, Show me somethin

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is what I miss the most about not working.... THE RUMORS!!!

Yeah but don't you miss starting them even more!
I have started at least 6 in the last 2 months.

It's amusing when they come back around and have expanded in scope and severity. Sometimes I don't recognize them as my own at first.:funny:

Mike Hawk

I was talking to an OMS and the local sort supe, they said PT management will lose their 27.5 guarantee so they can be laid off a day at a time and a FT supe will just cover them.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
There is no "Portland" district, there is an "Oregon" district that covers all of Oregon and a few small areas of northern California and SW Washington. There is a Portland Division that has 4 centers on Swan Island in downtown Portland.

I thought it was 5 centers if you include the 5550 building. 5 boxlines 5 centers I believe. Let's see...Mt Tabor, St. Johns, Milwaukie, Gresham, Sunset...Yeah 5. I used to be a secondary sorter in the Portland Hub. Maybe they consolidated a center though.

You must work in the Tualatin building. Is there a Jesus freak there named Steve Randall?

You work at the SLUT hub? I heard it was real easy to get into that one.

bit

Wow. Glad I bailed when I did. Hoaxster - Say hi to CB & ML for me. Hope y'all are doing fine.

I do have to say that y'all really need to dabble with outsourcing. We get an insane amount of work done on the cheap and it is so much faster than the billion conference calls with IS NJ. The only thing about outsourcing is that you really need to step up testing & QA. I'm one of 3 leads on a 15TB warehouse and we've got a whole team offshore and we get 12 releases ( 5 major 7 minor) done per year.

I know my rep power is going to go into the toilet, but I was never a huge fan of the way UPS IS worked.

- Todd

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If layoffs do happen-I vote to rebid all jobs.

You never did answer my question. Why do you think we should rebid all jobs? Layoffs will be done by seniority, starting from low to high (within classification). Jobs are bid based on seniority, starting from high to low (within classification). Layoffs and bidding jobs have nothing to with one another.