UPS CFO announces layoffs in 09

some1else

Banned
why do drivers care if they get laid off or not?...if they do...they'll work double shifts inside....not like they will loose their jobs completely...i feel sorry for the part timers...
in the atlantic supplement ft' can only bump a pt if they have more company seniority.

david cassin

dublinbrown
sortaisle ups can compete against fedex and drop the prices,they have a nice cash stash....dhl couln't compete with us fedex may keep up with us but i am sure we'll get some if not a large chunk of the biz..
i was just looking at the famous dhl train ad from a few years back.who is laughing now.ups has had the last laugh sure they even want to pay us to help their pkgs on their way.
don't be fooled by the scaremongering..:happy2:

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
sortaisle ups can compete against fedex and drop the prices,they have a nice cash stash....dhl couln't compete with us fedex may keep up with us but i am sure we'll get some if not a large chunk of the biz..
i was just looking at the famous dhl train ad from a few years back.who is laughing now.ups has had the last laugh sure they even want to pay us to help their pkgs on their way.

Exactly. I say we call a strike. All of us employed or none of us!

Go Union! UNTIE!

hedegi

I was told today that there is a slight chance that the seasonal employess are not going to be asked back in January. This came from the union rep. I am in the DC area.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream

I'm not worried about the scare mongering bud, but don't think UPS is going to touch their stacks of cash. Most of their property that they own isn't worth what it was 2 years ago. That lowers their bottom line, so they will conserve cash. We answer to the share holders these days, so nothing UPS does has anything to do with what's right for the employees and customers, but is more in line with "how can we make our shareholders love us again?"

Exactly. I say we call a strike. All of us employed or none of us!

Go Union! UNTIE!

I'm sure you meant unite. But if you did mean untie, that's friggen hilarious!

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I was told today that there is a slight chance that the seasonal employess are not going to be asked back in January. This came from the union rep. I am in the DC area.

As I understand it, they can't hire seasonal inside employees anymore. If they hire them, they keep them. They'll just have a colossal layoff in January. Of course your rider and addendum's may vary.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Whats going to happen is that there will be some layoffs and then things will pick back up and ups will be caught with their pants down and start freaking out because there arent enough employees to keep up with the workload. This seems to happen often and since they are "talking" drastic measures, some of those on layoff probably wont return, meaning after things pick up they will be scrambling. People, please think logically here, things will pick up, its just a matter of time. If you look at ups as a whole against how some companies are doing, ups is doing well considering the issues the economy is facing. Typical ups, going overboard. Im not saying things arent bad, or that things will be automatically back to normal, but with dhl leaving, and having sales dept hitting competitions national accounts, I think things will be ok...have faith.

rocket man

I talked to fed x driver on my route. HE said they do have a no lay off policy . fedx gives them 90 days to find another postion in company and that includs transfering to any other state if they want to move.

McGee

I talked to fed x driver on my route. HE said they do have a no lay off policy . fedx gives them 90 days to find another postion in company and that includs transfering to any other state if they want to move.

thats a damn good policy... thats the way that the 'old' dhl used to be, but hey at least im not there anymore... ( Woo Hoo) ... all you had to do was check the job postings for anywhere you wanted to go and interview and if you were accepted, that was it, youre in!

upsdad

I know this is speculation but our son is a PT at the local UPS here and loves the job. He has about 10-12 other people that have less seniority than he does .

What is the speculation on his situation, he would love to and wants to make a career of UPS..

He has been employed for 1 1/2 yrs

sano

I know this is speculation but our son is a PT at the local UPS here and loves the job. He has about 10-12 other people that have less seniority than he does .

What is the speculation on his situation, he would love to and wants to make a career of UPS..

My personal opinion is that he will be fine. Every location is different, but like has been said on here before, turnover among part timers is fast enough that all they need to do is stop hiring and they will lower their head count pretty quick. Here in central Ohio we still see new hires touring the building every week.
Good luck to your son.

thats a damn good policy... thats the way that the 'old' dhl used to be, but hey at least im not there anymore... ( Woo Hoo) ... all you had to do was check the job postings for anywhere you wanted to go and interview and if you were accepted, that was it, youre in!
What wasn`t mentioned is after 90 days if they haven`t found another position or a place to transfer to they toss you out on your ass.

dcdriver

nations capital

Do you call in sick for him also?

UPS Lifer

It looks like you are new to the site. Welcome to the Brown Cafe!

There is a lot of good info related to UPS on this site.

Depending on where your son works will depend on what happens in the future. Pick up driven areas will be affected the least. UPS makes money from the pick up of packages not the delivery of same. There may be some consolidation in delivery driven areas but my experience is that UPS is a relatively recession proof job or career.

svgal

Admin here..We heard that our District 85 will be consolidated with either District 86 or 87. We also heard the rumor that we should be hearing something Jan 5th. about us losing our jobs.

Mechman

I've heard that the Long Island and Metro New York Districts will merge.The South New England District will take over two of Metro New Yorks old buildings. All this happing by the end of the first quarter