UPS driver doing a route blind

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I used to dread those days when you would walk in and your supe would ask if you had your map with you. After having been on my route for over twenty years, I still need a map for stupid splits and ridiculous misloads.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Our delivery areas have not changed all that much over the past 26 years. Our stops counts and volume are up. Knowing how many packages for each stop and having all of the stops somewhat in order does make that part easier.

I took another new driver just out of school on road yesterday. The look on his face when he saw the load was priceless. We started at 0930 and delivered the last pkg at 1500. He was still overwhelmed when the on-car picked him up at the UPS Store.

The fact that someone like you with "questionable " dishonest methods is training new drivers is scary. Your methods and your own admission on here of being severely dishonest when it suits your needs will get a new driver fired or even in an accident.

This is why UPS has the problems it does with the new drivers. They let the guy that forges signatures and falsify records teach the standard of what an "experienced " driver should act like.

Your center manager must be a real special piece of management material.

hyena

Just wondering if my center manager can send me out on a route blind if I don't want them to. I have done routes with one day of training, but I don't want to start doing them blind because I know that they will start doing that to me all the time.
I'm just wondering if you ever opened your copy of the contract

billerz

I'm just wondering if you ever opened your copy of the contract
I just went through it, and I didn't see anything saying they had to train us. I read the section on other teamster members training someone, maybe it was in there. I'm obviously not the brightest crayon if I am using this forum, so please forgive me :P

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I just went through it, and I didn't see anything saying they had to train us. I read the section on other teamster members training someone, maybe it was in there. I'm obviously not the brightest crayon if I am using this forum, so please forgive me :P
It's not in there. Work as directed.
Do you really want a sup riding with you all day anyways? Isn't it kind of a pain in the ass to have a guy all up in your way all day? Hard to really learn a route when someone is sitting jump seat navigating for you, and that's assuming they even know the route, usually it's blind leading the blind anyways.

Best thing you can do is find a driver who knows the route, hand him the board and ask him if there's anything you need to know. Five minutes talking with someone who knows the route is better than a whole day with a supervisor on car, at least that's been my experience.

QualityLoads

Just do it blind if you screw up, so what? You did the route blind and made a bunch of OT. Plus you got another route on your belt.

My seniority sucks so i need area knowledge to get decent work. whenever management sends me on a route blind i thank them for letting me run it blind. More area knowledge more money ecspecially if your seniorty sucks.

billerz

Just do it blind if you screw up, so what? You did the route blind and made a bunch of OT. Plus you got another route on your belt.

My seniority sucks so i need area knowledge to get decent work. whenever management sends me on a route blind i thank them for letting me run it blind. More area knowledge more money ecspecially if your seniorty sucks.
A lot of other drivers have told me they regret learning too many routes, that management sends them all over the place. I'd like to learn one city that we deliver to and that's it, I just hope that it will stay that way. Im not worried about my lack of seniority, I'm gonna work as long as I show up, and the less routes I know the less places they can send me without having to worry about me screwing up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A lot of other drivers have told me they regret learning too many routes, that management sends them all over the place. I'd like to learn one city that we deliver to and that's it, I just hope that it will stay that way. Im not worried about my lack of seniority, I'm gonna work as long as I show up, and the less routes I know the less places they can send me without having to worry about me screwing up.

The less routes you know means that you will be one of the last drivers called to work.

Grey

They're called swing drivers here too. Every week there's about 6-7 routes up for bid whether that driver is in feeder or on vacation. If you don't win a route for the week they can throw on whatever crap they want.