UPS driver doing a route blind

PT Car Washer

I always request to go with a sup the first time. Why? Because it's their :censored2:ing job.
It is their job to train a driver on a new route. Depending on the driver and the sup the driver maybe better off going out blind. We have one driver sup that guaranteed you will not be back before 9:00 while he is training you. Run it blind and be back before 8:00 or earlier.

wayfair

swollen member
It is their job to train a driver on a new route. Depending on the driver and the sup the driver maybe better off going out blind. We have one driver sup that guaranteed you will not be back before 9:00 while he is training you. Run it blind and be back before 8:00 or earlier.
always take a full hour lunch with him, so you're both satisfied

brown67

Back in my day (1993) Lol. On car would show me around the load. What to do first and then tell me "follow the sequence numbers it will fall right off." No edd, orion, or spa labels just hand written sequence numbers and a map book.

That's how I learn all my routes as a swing driver. New drivers are so spoiled with all the technology UPS uses now. Good grief.

Bottom rung

I wouldn't say that new guys are spoiled with the technology. The technology helps but the work load has nearly doubled in ten years. Was it hard before technology? Yes. Is it still hard now? Yes.

underworked1

Back in my day (1993) Lol. On car would show me around the load. What to do first and then tell me "follow the sequence numbers it will fall right off." No edd, orion, or spa labels just hand written sequence numbers and a map book.

That's how I learn all my routes as a swing driver. New drivers are so spoiled with all the technology UPS uses now. Good grief.
That's cute and all but 1993 your route went out with half the volume it does now. You think you could have done that with 270 stops in an 800?

billerz

thats how it all starts bub. There is not a single driver here who hasn't done it. Just give it your best effort. You'll be a bit nervous your first day and make mistakes due to lack of area knowledge. You'll take your lumps the first day but by the third day you will have all the tricks down. That's how long it takes me to learn a rte and do it effectively. Now I know bout 20 routes like the back of my hand. It's a learning curve. Don't let them make you feel bad if you faulter here or there. Get a good map book. I found it easier than looking up individual stops on my phone. You get a real layout for the area cause edd/Orion can have you passing stops especially on main roads. Pay attention to your surroundings as you drive. I've made a career out of swinging. Running different routes also teaches you which routes you do and don't want. You'll be fine. Let us know how it goes.
I said something to my on road and he ended up riding with me for the first day. That's really all I needed, the second day is always so much easier. I still use my phone instead of a map book, simply so I don't have to carry a map around lol.

T

Turdferguson

That's cute and all but 1993 your route went out with half the volume it does now. You think you could have done that with 270 stops in an 800?
Didn't have EDD back then either, so you didn't have an idea as to what you had on the route. Half as many stops? Stop count hasn't gone up that much per route

billerz

Didn't have EDD back then either, so you didn't have an idea as to what you had on the route. Half as many stops? Stop count hasn't gone up that much per route
I'm sure if was really crappy back then and definitely more mentally stressing, I just think the routes now are a lot tighter. With the all the technology came less time spending other things than delivering. When I'm on the routes I do know, I don't really stop except for lunch and I don't get done until 7-730. If I was new on that route and wasted 20 minutes looking for houses, streets, at my map, I'd have to call for help. Don't get me wrong I love EDD and having the Diad tell me where to drive, and I love being a robot on the routes I've learned. I just feel like it's still hard just maybe in a different way.

T

Turdferguson

I'm sure if was really crappy back then and definitely more mentally stressing, I just think the routes now are a lot tighter. With the all the technology came less time spending other things than delivering. When I'm on the routes I do know, I don't really stop except for lunch and I don't get done until 7-730. If I was new on that route and wasted 20 minutes looking for houses, streets, at my map, I'd have to call for help. Don't get me wrong I love EDD and having the Diad tell me where to drive, and I love being a robot on the routes I've learned. I just feel like it's still hard just maybe in a different way.

Do not disagree with that statement, just kill me when people say we had less work back then so was easier to go out blind. Sucked then and sucks now, but everyone has had to do it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I said something to my on road and he ended up riding with me for the first day. That's really all I needed, the second day is always so much easier. I still use my phone instead of a map book, simply so I don't have to carry a map around lol.

Rather than carry the book why not just make copies of the areas that you will be delivering that day? A map provides a broad overview which is hard to get on a small smartphone screen.

T

Turdferguson

We did have less work and it was much easier to go out blind back in the day.
Had less stops, but spread out over a greater area. You have EDD and ORION now that tell you stop for stop how to run the route and what you should have on your car.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Had less stops, but spread out over a greater area. You have EDD and ORION now that tell you stop for stop how to run the route and what you should have on your car.

Our delivery areas have not changed all that much over the past 26 years. Our stops counts and volume are up. Knowing how many packages for each stop and having all of the stops somewhat in order does make that part easier.

I took another new driver just out of school on road yesterday. The look on his face when he saw the load was priceless. We started at 0930 and delivered the last pkg at 1500. He was still overwhelmed when the on-car picked him up at the UPS Store.

Future

Victory Ride
Our delivery areas have not changed all that much over the past 26 years. Our stops counts and volume are up. Knowing how many packages for each stop and having all of the stops somewhat in order does make that part easier.

I took another new driver just out of school on road yesterday. The look on his face when he saw the load was priceless. We started at 0930 and delivered the last pkg at 1500. He was still overwhelmed when the on-car picked him up at the UPS Store.
At 1500 ..yesterday i could just walk down the middle