UPS driver doing a route blind

wayfair

swollen member
One of my sups, to his credit, did offer to go out with me. I told him I appreciated that but the honest truth is having him with me would probably just slow me down. Just having to worry about him being over my shoulder all day. I'd rather just map things out on my own. I was however one of the last drivers in that night.

seriously??? I would have made that sup stay out late with me... I'm sure the sup would have made some phone calls to ease up the work

S

selfcancelsignal

I enjoy the routine of my somewhat gravy bid/training route, & doing usually gravy coverage when I get kicked off my regular while someone is training.

JL 0513

I've learned about 18 routes blind in the last year and a half. I never get trained on any. Honestly, I'd rather go blind than be with a sup all day.

What I love is the message sent to me the following day complaining I was was 1.xx hr paid over on the blind route and that "we need a better day today".

These days, sups expect you to scratch a route your first day on it. I think they figure since we have all these electronic tools that it's so simple. Um no, it still takes a few days to get it down.

8000Shelf

Do you have a GPS on your phone? I know it has saved my a** more than a few times out blind (obviously don't look at it while driving).

Get the NDAs off and use GPS on each one if need be. Check your savers for businesses and break

trace for those commits also. I'm a swing driver and have went out blind on 75% of the routes I

know. It does get easier. You need to switch your attitude to "it's no big deal / oh well" all the time in brown

but especially on blind days. Do not be concerned about over allowed also.

You are saving them a lot of $ by not making a supervisor teach you the route. As

always remember safety first above all else!

p.s. You will never pick the right door or dock on businesses out blind, I swear.

But just explain to the customer you didn't know and your out blind blah blah

blah. You will get used to that explanation as the day goes on.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
These days, sups expect you to scratch a route your first day on it. I think they figure since we have all these electronic tools that it's so simple. Um no, it still takes a few days to get it down.
IMO, no way. They are only giving the impression that they expect it. This is part of "constructive dissatisfaction", a UPS staple. Basically psychological warfare to get in your head.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
When I was cover we had 4 centers in my bldg and it was pretty common to get sent to another center to run a route blind. I remember getting handed a map book and told "4th car on the slide". Once they printed out the previous day's delivery records for me so that "I could see how the regular driver did it"...

Faceplanted

The worst thing ever is having to go out on a heavy industrial route blind. I used to stress about getting all my biz off, take late lunch ect...One day after always being the one going out blind I said friend this. Lunch from 12-1. Message saying biz misses and drop the ball in their lap. Not worth the stress. They stopped putting me on heavy biz routes and let the runners do them.

Resi routes blind are cake, edd is usually very good

S

selfcancelsignal

It's all about being calculated on which routes in your center or hub you want to learn, & which ones you don't.

Wizzy

an old time sup way back in the day said "here take this load chart with you, it will all come together once you get out there. Couldn't use those load charts very well when I loaded trucks, not sure why he thought it would help me learn the route!