UPS driver helping out FedEx ground driver

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm going to take a guess that English is your second language.

The purpose of my post was to get a honest opinion of the situation. I wanted to get other views as I consider this a grey area. I'm not defrauding UPS, stealing or falsifying anything. I am just helping out a driver who probably is making less than minimum wage. I am just guilty of being a nice guy.

Realistically, I would never expect management to approve of me delivering a FedEx package. In the highly unlikely event that it was discovered, I would expect to be told to stop it. I would not consider this to be a cardinal sin.
That's not the way they will see it. Remember you are on the clock and getting paid by UPS, if they find out that you are delivering a competitors packages while they are paying you they will absolutely consider it stealing and they would have a pretty solid case for putting you on the street. I was good friends with all the couriers on my route but I wouldn't do what you're doing.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I've stopped at a stop where a mail man is just unbuckling and I've grabbed the parcel out of his hand and walked it 10 feet up a drive way but never a hour long runner.

It's just not a good idea.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Every once in a while I will retrieve and run off a package misdelivered by a competitor if and only if I am going to that stop later in the day. This usually happens at our local college warehouse. Friday I had a package left there by the Post Office that was addressed to a MBE store which I pickup later in the day. I simply put it in the cargo area and then hand it to the staff when I get there. I will sometimes see packages addressed to a college housing complex left there as well----I pick these up as well as I deliver to that complex shortly after doing the college.

I will also take care of some of my regular customers by picking up the occasional outbound competitor package and dropping it off at MBE.

I have never nor would I ever consider running off a competitor package simply because the courier was too lazy to do his/her own job.

sigreq

We had a pm air driver who was really good friends with a sup at express. Their was a big account that was about an hour and a half from our center, about the same for express, that used us and express for shipping. Ups driver was picking up our stuff and express stuff and on the way back to the building dropping their stuff at the center for them. Well you can guess how long that lasted, he was fired, got his job back and it didn't happen again.

JackStraw

While what your doing is innocent and there is no intent to do anything that will harm the company, you have to remember who you work for. Depending on your management team, you could be looking at some sort of discipline for this. I wouldn't do it. the other day I had a sig req. pkg. Customer left a electronic signature release on door. I was going to leave it and print their name for a signature. Thought about it, wondering if it disappeared or if they just said they didn't get it what would happen. I remembered who i work for, left a note.

MassWineGuy

Hey there Onestop. I think you're doing the right thing by helping the other guy out occasionally, as long as it's not assumed that you'll do it each time. I've worked for UPS and now have a permanent courier job at FedEx Express (none of this ground stuff). I always treated drivers of all companies with courtesy and respect. We are all just truck drivers delivering freight. The customer has already decided on FedEx by the time you help deliver something. It's not as though UPS is losing anything remotely significant.

But you definitely would be in hot water with management if they learned about this.

The Us vs. Them attitude of many UPS folks here is moronic and Neanderthal. Grow the friend up, already.

Overpaid Union Thug

I deliver to a rural town about a hour away from my center. From this town, I get a daily stop that takes about a hour to travel to and back to deliver. The only way to get to this stop is thru this town. For the last few years the FedEx Ground driver will see me in town and ask if I can take one up for him. I have done him this favor for awhile. It never takes me any longer to complete the stop, so I'm not costing UPS any time. Am I wrong for helping out this driver?

Yes you are wrong for two reasons. You are transporting packages for free (more than a few drivers have been fired for that) in addition to helping a competitor that has been slowly but surely taking business away from UPS by undercutting us. The more volume they take the more jobs are lost at UPS. Would you rather be a contractor or a UPS driver?

Cementups

Box Monkey
While not an hour away, I used to have a stop a few routes ago that was a few miles up into the mountain. If I happened to run into the Express guy in the morning before either of us had a chance to go up to that stop we would see who had the most for up there and loser would take the other guys lesser volume. It was only ever a package or two (usually a letter). It saved one of us 15-20 minutes a day. Probably only ever happened 10 times max in the 7 years I was on the route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While what your doing is innocent and there is no intent to do anything that will harm the company, you have to remember who you work for. Depending on your management team, you could be looking at some sort of discipline for this. I wouldn't do it. the other day I had a sig req. pkg. Customer left a electronic signature release on door. I was going to leave it and print their name for a signature. Thought about it, wondering if it disappeared or if they just said they didn't get it what would happen. I remembered who i work for, left a note.

Did the 1Z on the package match that on the e-release? If so, you have no choice other than to leave the package.

BrownTexas

I'm going to take a guess that English is your second language.

The purpose of my post was to get a honest opinion of the situation. I wanted to get other views as I consider this a grey area. I'm not defrauding UPS, stealing or falsifying anything. I am just helping out a driver who probably is making less than minimum wage. I am just guilty of being a nice guy.

Realistically, I would never expect management to approve of me delivering a FedEx package. In the highly unlikely event that it was discovered, I would expect to be told to stop it. I would not consider this to be a cardinal sin.
You are advancing a parcel with ups property that is not being paid for. It is stupid. You might not get fired permanently, but it will get you some unpaid time off. Highly unlikely or not. Chancing your 100k job, to help someone who is getting paid to do his own job, is just plain ignorant.

clean hairy

Every once in a while I will retrieve and run off a package misdelivered by a competitor if and only if I am going to that stop later in the day. This usually happens at our local college warehouse. Friday I had a package left there by the Post Office that was addressed to a MBE store which I pickup later in the day. I simply put it in the cargo area and then hand it to the staff when I get there. I will sometimes see packages addressed to a college housing complex left there as well----I pick these up as well as I deliver to that complex shortly after doing the college.

I will also take care of some of my regular customers by picking up the occasional outbound competitor package and dropping it off at MBE.

I have never nor would I ever consider running off a competitor package simply because the courier was too lazy to do his/her own job.
Security cameras do not know this.
The Homeowner sees the security camera footage of our driver taking a competitiors package from their property.
Homeowner calls media & UPS. I could see a driver having a difficult time getting their job back.
Long ago this would not have been a problem, but todays world is so much different.

clean hairy

That's not the way they will see it. Remember you are on the clock and getting paid by UPS, if they find out that you are delivering a competitors packages while they are paying you they will absolutely consider it stealing and they would have a pretty solid case for putting you on the street. I was good friends with all the couriers on my route but I wouldn't do what you're doing.
Agreed.
The time spent delivering the FeEx is time should that was not spent taking care of our own Customers, and give the Company a real nice stealing time case.
Don't know the Union could even defend this case successfully.

Man Of Brown

the other day I had a sig req. pkg. Customer left a electronic signature release on door. I was going to leave it and print their name for a signature. Thought about it, wondering if it disappeared or if they just said they didn't get it what would happen. I remembered who i work for, left a note.

Do you mean a signed delivery notice?

MassWineGuy

Yes, the UPS property and resources argument is compelling. I think you should stop carrying non-UPS parcels. You'd definitely get in trouble.