UPS driver helping out FedEx ground driver

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Short anwser is your stealing time by not working as directed. I have a few stops that are in excess of thirty minutes round trip. I see "The Competitors" packages down at the mailboxes all the time. I know my customers very well and consider them all friends but never will I do work that in essence is work that our competition is getting paid for. This may seem over the top or silly but its that sort "service" that hopefully will get our work back. I care far more for our company and its employees then saving the ground guy some time and gas.

chris9834

Back when I was a Fed Ex driver me and a UPS driver built a good friendship because I would always help him at a Bulk stop people used to get a kick out of that. Basically to get to the point one time he had just left a bulk delivery stop and he found the missing package at another stop, I was there and he asked me if I was going by there and i said yea so he did something in his board I dont know what to add the package to the original stop but he did. We had mutual trust so I dropped it off nothing came of it. Although I eventually had to tell him to lets keep it to helping out at bulk stops. Because he picked up a misdelivered box that I did and the customer had already dove in it before they realized and re tapped it. I just told him I appreciate your good merit and that I know he means well but in this instance if something was missing or a claim came into play and he got brought up he could end up in a mess and i didnt want that to happen. In your situation the ground driver is either signing for the packages him self of dr'ing them and if something came up he may be a good old boy and take all the fall and completely leave you out of it but if for some reason it comes down to him paying for it he may not but who knows because he would lose his job too but I dont like the risk involved. Nowadays I agree the good merit system is a flaw for crooked people to screw it up and not give to craps about any party involved. I agree dont get caught up in it.

Fragile

When I first started FedEx drivers would help me out with directions and customer delivery locations, never with actually delivering packages lol.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Why on earth would anyone deliver the competition's packages or expect them to deliver our packages? Are you flipping kidding me? I have a professional, cordial relationship with all delivery people on my route. I've known the FedEx guy for 20 years but he has his work and I have mine.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Then why does it say on the note that it is still up to driver discretion? Tell me what your center manager will tell you if that pkg gets pinched? I'll answer for you. "Why did you leave it in an unsafe place?"

The e-release indicates where the consignee would like you to leave the package. If you don't feel that leaving it there would be the right thing to do you can choose a different location but you must then let the consignee know where you left it. For example, if they indicated front door but you feel that leaving it at the side or back door would be the better choice you should leave a delivery notice letting them know where you left it.

wayfair

swollen member
The e-release indicates where the consignee would like you to leave the package. If you don't feel that leaving it there would be the right thing to do you can choose a different location but you must then let the consignee know where you left it. For example, if they indicated front door but you feel that leaving it at the side or back door would be the better choice you should leave a delivery notice letting them know where you left it.

One APT I have states to deliver to the office if not home. Well the office closes at 5 and I don't get to the area til 6. Sorry, NI1.

Johney

if its ok , i'll start pulling loaded fedex trailers in high winds cause I usually pull empties back from my meet point.
Ding Dong Dave would tell you you'll get fired for doing that(but not me!) as he's hooking up to the FedEx pups.

Last edited:

rkctkc

If sig req pops up on the diad, as far as I know, there is no way to release the package without an actual signature. It won't even let you attempt to deliver or sign delivery notice. Only way I've ever gotten a sig req package to be driver released was for the diad prompting me to do so with the e release. If it's a printed signed release form, it wouldn't work.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Ding Dong Dave would tell you you'll get fired for doing that(but not me!) as he's hooking up to the FedEx pups.
1426064013074.jpg

gman042

Been around the block a few times
A few years ago there was a new FEDeX driver in the area that I was delivering. At times I would encounter his misdeliveries. IF I just happened to be going to the correct address next then I would take the FEDEX package and made sure it found its owner. Just thinking of the customer.

clean hairy

A few years ago there was a new FEDeX driver in the area that I was delivering. At times I would encounter his misdeliveries. IF I just happened to be going to the correct address next then I would take the FEDEX package and made sure it found its owner. Just thinking of the customer.
And why should UPS be making FedEx look good to their customers? If there is a problem with a FedEx delivery, shouldn't FedEX have to deal with it?

rod

Retired 22 years
The Fedex drivers and UPS drivers all hung out together at the same bar after work. I would say the FedEx drivers won the contest over who bitched the most about work. Our buildings were about a half a block apart. Several Fedexers attended my retirement party at my house.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I understand keeping the customer happy but you stole a package from someone's house. This is how UPS would terminate you. It does not matter whose name was on the package. You stole a package from someone's front porch.

Don't think UPS would fire you for that. Then I guess you haven't been around here long enough.

I don't think it would stick as long as you could prove you delivered it to another house, but how long you would be off could be anybody's guess. A day, a week, a month...permanently?

Brown Now

I would stay far away from this. You deliver yours and I'll deliver mine. I could see this being real ugly. Not worth your job possibly. His job can be somewhat easily replaced.They don't make what we do. You'd be losing too much if you lost yours.