UPS driver helping out FedEx ground driver

onestoptogo

I deliver to a rural town about a hour away from my center. From this town, I get a daily stop that takes about a hour to travel to and back to deliver. The only way to get to this stop is thru this town. For the last few years the FedEx Ground driver will see me in town and ask if I can take one up for him. I have done him this favor for awhile. It never takes me any longer to complete the stop, so I'm not costing UPS any time. Am I wrong for helping out this driver?

rod

Retired 22 years
I think he owes you. I was known to trade a stop or two once in a blue moon with the FedEx driver who I knew for years but if your guy assumes you will take it I would have to put a stop to it.

Stopher

Only way I'm touching fedex packages is if that driver is a smokin hottie (woman that is) and she is some how able to talk me into it. Would never happen though. U work for ups. Handle ups packages.

oldngray

nowhere special
If I had a FedEx package on my truck I would just give it to the FedEx guy when I saw him. He would give me UPS packages the same way. Not the same as delivering for each other.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
I deliver to a rural town about a hour away from my center. From this town, I get a daily stop that takes about a hour to travel to and back to deliver. The only way to get to this stop is thru this town. For the last few years the FedEx Ground driver will see me in town and ask if I can take one up for him. I have done him this favor for awhile. It never takes me any longer to complete the stop, so I'm not costing UPS any time. Am I wrong for helping out this driver?
I do it all the time...

Packmule

The guy who had my route before me used to give his NDA to the FedEx guy to bring in for him. Sounds crazy to me! Most I've ever done is share a gate code or tell the guy where in town to leave a bad stop. And my son-in-law is a FedEx ground supervisor!

bigmistake

A driver in my center was fired (downgraded to a week suspension) for letting a fedex driver use a UPS hand truck. I wouldn't take any chances.

clean hairy

All it takes is 1 Customer to claim they never got their FedEx package. Of course the smelly stuff hits the fan for both drivers at that point.
Along with the fact the UPS Driver is assisting in helping the other Driver with falsifying delivery records.
Or, a Customer calling UPS wondering when we started delivering FedEx packages.
Are the consequences worth the risk?

BrownTexas

This is beyond terrible. All it takes is one time to get fired for this. If a cover driver tells fed ex no. And happens to talk about it at the center. Management sets up a sting and your gone. And I don't feel bad for you. Fed ex will hire you afterwards though, hopefully. Have fun with that.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Imagine getting called in the office for this. How would you justify it to management? Supposed the contents are damaged or missing? The shipper is liable to call in on you. If the FEDEX guy gets called in at the same time, he would probably throw you under the bus to save his arse. When I delivered, I was friends with both the USPS and the FEDEX guy on my route. Sometimes we even had lunch together. All we ever exchanged, however was information. Maybe the USPS guy knew about some new streets going in in a new subdivision or something. He used to even supply me with dog spray, since UPS wouldn't furnish us with any. Exchange packages, no thanks.

onestoptogo

This is beyond terrible. All it takes is one time to get fired for this. If a cover driver tells fed ex no. And happens to talk about it at the center. Management sets up a sting and your gone. And I don't feel bad for you. Fed ex will hire you afterwards though, hopefully. Have fun with that.
I'm going to take a guess that English is your second language.

The purpose of my post was to get a honest opinion of the situation. I wanted to get other views as I consider this a grey area. I'm not defrauding UPS, stealing or falsifying anything. I am just helping out a driver who probably is making less than minimum wage. I am just guilty of being a nice guy.

Realistically, I would never expect management to approve of me delivering a FedEx package. In the highly unlikely event that it was discovered, I would expect to be told to stop it. I would not consider this to be a cardinal sin.

CHALLY9TX

I'm going to take a guess that English is your second language.

The purpose of my post was to get a honest opinion of the situation. I wanted to get other views as I consider this a grey area. I'm not defrauding UPS, stealing or falsifying anything. I am just helping out a driver who probably is making less than minimum wage. I am just guilty of being a nice guy.

Realistically, I would never expect management to approve of me delivering a FedEx package. In the highly unlikely event that it was discovered, I would expect to be told to stop it. I would not consider this to be a cardinal sin.

What does his language have to do with any of this?

The point is you're helping out a direct competitor by delivering a pkg that you're not supposed to. You get paid to deliver UPS pkgs not Fedex pkgs. Maybe management finds out and you get a slap on the wrist or maybe they don't care. But why risk it?