UPS driver in NYC secures thousands of medical masks to protect coworkers and customers from coronav

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ummmm.... unless those are air tight masks with filters (which for the price, I'm guessing not), they are only meant to be worn by sick people to help prevent the spread. Healthy people are more likely to get sick wearing them than not. And people who actually need them can't get them now. I guess what people think is more important than the truth.

I wonder if UPS will let me work with an army surplus protective mask.

8757591533_b1e0ffd405.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
HOMETOWN HELPERS: UPS driver in NYC secures thousands of medical masks to protect coworkers and customers from coronavirus

The mask seller saw how passionate I was because I told him these delivery guys are out there and they’re exposed,” said the 49-year-old Cintron, who’s also been with UPS for 30 years.

The supplier relented and ended up selling 20,000 of the $4 masks to UPS. It’s unclear how much the company paid for the bulk purchase.
They belong in the hospitals.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ummmm.... unless those are air tight masks with filters (which for the price, I'm guessing not), they are only meant to be worn by sick people to help prevent the spread. Healthy people are more likely to get sick wearing them than not. And people who actually need them can't get them now. I guess what people think is more important than the truth.

I wonder if UPS will let me work with an army surplus protective mask.

View attachment 288939
N95 masks are medical grade masks. It’s what all of the hospitals are trying to source for their employees.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
N95 masks are medical grade masks. It’s what all of the hospitals are trying to source for their employees.

Exactly, they should go to medical facilities, not UPS drivers. I forgot to mention that they are recommended for medical personnel who are exposed on a regular basis, but they are trained on their proper use.

ManInBrown

The building that those masks were secured for is the biggest hotspot in the whole entire country. Queens,NY. My job takes me there twice a week. I don’t blame them one bit for buying them. The area this building services is not a place you want to be right now. It’s a war zone.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
COVID-19: When should you wear a face mask?

From the article:

"Most people who do not work in a health care setting have not received training on how to put on and take off the masks properly. Doing this incorrectly can actually increase your risk of infection. Also, people who are wearing masks tend to touch their face more than those who are not, which can paradoxically result in an increased risk of infection as well," says Dr. Rajapakse.

She says instead of wearing masks, people need to:

• Wash their hands frequently using soap and water for 20 seconds or an alcohol-based hand rub.
  • Avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth.
  • Practice cough etiquette. Cough into a flexed elbow or tissue, discard the tissue in the trash, and wash hands.
  • Stay home from school, work and public places if feeling unwell.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The building that those masks were secured for is the biggest hotspot in the whole entire country. Queens,NY. My job takes me there twice a week. I don’t blame them one bit for buying them. The area this building services is not a place you want to be right now. It’s a war zone.

Then they need to leave the critical supplies for the healthcare workers, and follow the same guidelines they would for avoiding the flu. Whether this thing is more potent or dangerous than the flu is immaterial. It follows the same transmission pathways, so the same measures should be taken to avoid it.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
Any mask that can block any type of droplet is better than not wearing a mask at all. They don't want the public to hoard masks I understand but look at the countries that have this under control and you see that everyone is wearing a mask.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Any mask that can block any type of droplet is better than not wearing a mask at all. They don't want the public to hoard masks I understand but look at the countries that have this under control and you see that everyone is wearing a mask.
Bro they always wear masks because their countries are polluted communist hell holes.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

They are designed to block droplets out, not droplets in. They are designed to prevent filthy surgeon's breath from getting into the open chest cavities they are working in. The droplets can get in around the edges, since they are not air tight, or sit on the outside and can enter your body if you remove it improperly.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
They are designed to block droplets out, not droplets in. They are designed to prevent filthy surgeon's breath from getting into the open chest cavities they are working in. The droplets can get in around the edges, since they are not air tight, or sit on the outside and can enter your body if you remove it improperly.

You are way too invested in that article. I'm not saying you should wear a mask sitting at home typing right now but in a situation with any risk a mask is better than nothing.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Then they need to leave the critical supplies for the healthcare workers, and follow the same guidelines they would for avoiding the flu. Whether this thing is more potent or dangerous than the flu is immaterial. It follows the same transmission pathways, so the same measures should be taken to avoid it.
Wait, are you suggesting frontline healthcare workers saving lives are more important than people stacking cardboard?

1569398782342.gif