UPS driver in NYC secures thousands of medical masks to protect coworkers and customers from coronav

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 35years, Mar 29, 2020.

1. 35years

35years Well-Known Member

2. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

Ummmm.... unless those are air tight masks with filters (which for the price, I'm guessing not), they are only meant to be worn by sick people to help prevent the spread. Healthy people are more likely to get sick wearing them than not. And people who actually need them can't get them now. I guess what people think is more important than the truth.

I wonder if UPS will let me work with an army surplus protective mask.

8757591533_b1e0ffd405.jpg

3. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

They belong in the hospitals.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

N95 masks are medical grade masks. It’s what all of the hospitals are trying to source for their employees.

5. zubenelgenubi

Exactly, they should go to medical facilities, not UPS drivers. I forgot to mention that they are recommended for medical personnel who are exposed on a regular basis, but they are trained on their proper use.

6. no_map_needed

no_map_needed Knowledge is key, Experience is power.

Please explain.

7. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

The building that those masks were secured for is the biggest hotspot in the whole entire country. Queens,NY. My job takes me there twice a week. I don’t blame them one bit for buying them. The area this building services is not a place you want to be right now. It’s a war zone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. zubenelgenubi

COVID-19: When should you wear a face mask?

From the article:

"Most people who do not work in a health care setting have not received training on how to put on and take off the masks properly. Doing this incorrectly can actually increase your risk of infection. Also, people who are wearing masks tend to touch their face more than those who are not, which can paradoxically result in an increased risk of infection as well," says Dr. Rajapakse.

She says instead of wearing masks, people need to:

• Wash their hands frequently using soap and water for 20 seconds or an alcohol-based hand rub.
    • Avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth.
    • Practice cough etiquette. Cough into a flexed elbow or tissue, discard the tissue in the trash, and wash hands.
    • Stay home from school, work and public places if feeling unwell.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  9. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

Send this story to gov Cuomo.

10. zubenelgenubi

Then they need to leave the critical supplies for the healthcare workers, and follow the same guidelines they would for avoiding the flu. Whether this thing is more potent or dangerous than the flu is immaterial. It follows the same transmission pathways, so the same measures should be taken to avoid it.

11. no_map_needed

Those are surgical masks the article is talking about not n95. Don't give wrong info.

12. no_map_needed

Any mask that can block any type of droplet is better than not wearing a mask at all. They don't want the public to hoard masks I understand but look at the countries that have this under control and you see that everyone is wearing a mask.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. no_map_needed

14. DriveInDriveOut

DriveInDriveOut Proud Deplorable

Bro they always wear masks because their countries are polluted communist hell holes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  15. no_map_needed

Thats China bro. In Korea people don't wear masks on a regular basis like that.

16. zubenelgenubi

They are designed to block droplets out, not droplets in. They are designed to prevent filthy surgeon's breath from getting into the open chest cavities they are working in. The droplets can get in around the edges, since they are not air tight, or sit on the outside and can enter your body if you remove it improperly.

17. DriveInDriveOut

Yes.

18. no_map_needed

You are way too invested in that article. I'm not saying you should wear a mask sitting at home typing right now but in a situation with any risk a mask is better than nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. zubenelgenubi

Incorrect. Unless it is an airtight mask.

20. DriveInDriveOut

Wait, are you suggesting frontline healthcare workers saving lives are more important than people stacking cardboard?

1569398782342.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List