Ups drivers

Box Ox

Obviously I know packages would go on porches sir. My question is What shows your where your stops are.

I wouldn’t want to assume anything is obvious to you.

So, what would be your guess? A trap door over a crocodile pit will open up under you in 10 seconds if you don’t guess. How do you think a UPS driver knows where his stops are?

Seriously? Cmon

No. Was your initial post serious?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
D54F11DD-DD21-4FE9-BD9E-4DFF5C993BA0.gif
Obviously I know packages would go on porches sir. My question is What shows your where your stops are.

Christian M

So, what would be your guess? A trap door over a crocodile pit will open up under you in 10 seconds if you don’t guess. How do you think a UPS driver knows where his stops are?

I mean if you didn’t think it was you should of just saved your time and not responded man. Not trying to be rude

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
can you guys share your first experiences on how you learned how the packages were to be delivered and what you used to lead you to your stops. Would be appreciated
Read the address on the package then read the map if need be. I know maps look like a foreign language to you noobs.

Christian M

If I were to guess I would say by remembering every single address around town.

Box Ox

I mean if you didn’t think it was you should of just saved your time and not responded man. Not trying to be rude

Don’t take it personally. We board dwellers like to poke fun at new kids who would have had an easier time just talking to experienced UPSers at their own real life locations who are just as good at their jobs as anybody on here.

And when you talk to folks at your own location, you gain the benefit of having their advice framed around the specific locational/geographical/cultural/contractual contexts that you yourself will be working under.

rod

Retired 22 years
My first day of delivering a large rural area they pointed to a truck, said go deliver it. It had about 45 rural route stops in it. Areas I had never been in in my life. Eleven or 12 hours later and 250+ miles I had delivered about 2/3rds of it. Next day they sent me out with about 60 stops. No cell phones back then and most mailboxes didn't even have a name on them. The E911 rural numbering system hadn't been invented yet. About all you could do was barrow some farmers 6 party phone for a few minutes and try to get ahold of people for directions. LOTS of back tracking back then. Small rural post masters and mail carriers were your best friends. You soon learned that when someone told you to go see Old Farmer Joe--he knows everyone----he didn't know his A from a hole in the ground. After about 3 months things had more or less fell in place. It helped when the days finally got longer in the spring.

542thruNthru

can you guys share your first experiences on how you learned how the packages were to be delivered and what you used to lead you to your stops. Would be appreciated

Me... I always say to myself. "What would Hoffa do?"

And that's when I impose my will on those packages! Well at least on 2/3 of them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Me... I always say to myself. "What would Hoffa do?"

And that's when I impose my will on those packages! Well at least on 2/3 of them.

A veteran UPS driver will always wait until he is out of site from the public in the back of his truck to beat up on a package. Sometimes it has to be done to maintain sanity.

542thruNthru

A veteran UPS driver will always wait until he is out of site from the public in the back of his truck to beat up on a package. Sometimes it has to be done to maintain sanity.

It's not delivered correctly until it gets a giant dirty footprint on it.

Or as I like to call it the "seal of approval"

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
My first day of delivering a large rural area they pointed to a truck, said go deliver it. It had about 45 rural route stops in it. Areas I had never been in in my life. Eleven or 12 hours later and 250+ miles I had delivered about 2/3rds of it. Next day they sent me out with about 60 stops. No cell phones back then and most mailboxes didn't even have a name on them. The E911 rural numbering system hadn't been invented yet. About all you could do was barrow some farmers 6 party phone for a few minutes and try to get ahold of people for directions. LOTS of back tracking back then. Small rural post masters and mail carriers were your best friends. You soon learned that when someone told you to go see Old Farmer Joe--he knows everyone----he didn't know his A from a hole in the ground. After about 3 months things had more or less fell in place. It helped when the days finally got longer in the spring.

Been there, done that.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's not delivered correctly until it gets a giant dirty footprint on it.

Or as I like to call it the "seal of approval"

Are those loaders with a size 17 boot still there? What about the loaders who chew tobacco and spit on packages? They fired a couple of those when I was there.