UPS eliminating FDC (International Auditing) Jobs?

InsideUPS

I was recently informed by our BA that UPS may be eliminating FDC (International Auditing) jobs as well as closing some UPS customer counters throughout the country. Has anyone else heard similar information? Seems like we may possible have subcontracting violations if these jobs are being outsourced.

FWIW, I have heard that UPS is moving to use smart phone like devices to process FDC packages rather than use computer stations. The FDC clerk would simply take photos of the package label and corresponding documents. At the end of the evening, these information would then be uploaded to a central processing center.

F

Frankie's Friend

I was recently informed by our BA that UPS may be eliminating FDC (International Auditing) jobs as well as closing some UPS customer counters throughout the country. Has anyone else heard similar information? Seems like we may possible have subcontracting violations if these jobs are being outsourced.

FWIW, I have heard that UPS is moving to use smart phone like devices to process FDC packages rather than use computer stations. The FDC clerk would simply take photos of the package label and corresponding documents. At the end of the evening, these information would then be uploaded to a central processing center.
They've been using those phones for over 3 years here.

Our ba has been totally absent from our operations for so many years (minus hearings in which it often took labor charges to get some scheduled) that this is news to him even though the local office is 7 minutes away.

Worthless.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I was recently informed by our BA that UPS may be eliminating FDC (International Auditing) jobs as well as closing some UPS customer counters throughout the country. Has anyone else heard similar information?

I thought.... I heard.... or, somebody told me.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When I left auditing, they were just introducing the imaging. No jobs were eliminated to my knowledge, however that technology could lead down that road,

F

Frankie's Friend

From now on package car drivers will be doing the auditing but given no extra time to do so.
The intl check list is still in your diad. That makes us liable anyway.

That's the first audit.

Recently I had a driver ask me what EDI meant.

InsideUPS

From now on package car drivers will be doing the auditing but given no extra time to do so.

A driver brought me a 50lb package the other day to process. I reminded him of the days when 50 lbs was our limit. Truly amazing how much more work drivers are given today than "yesteryear" before technology (Diads, etc) and 1200 size package cars. I really do not see how drivers will be able to make 30 years with todays standards.

Indecisi0n

A driver brought me a 50lb package the other day to process. I reminded him of the days when 50 lbs was our limit. Truly amazing how much more work drivers are given today than "yesteryear" before technology (Diads, etc) and 1200 size package cars. I really do not see how drivers will be able to make 30 years with todays standards.
The answer is simple, they won't. Some will be genetically gifted and be ok but for most they will slowly break down their bodies to the point where they will no longer be able to do the job. It normally comes at the worst point because most will be half way through their careers and now feel stuck with no other job skill. At that point they will just try to grind it out and with 10-15 years left it wont happen.

InsideUPS

Recently I had a driver ask me what EDI meant.

EDI (Electronic Document Imaging - aka No Invoice Required) was a great timesaver until they came up with "EDI-Pull". Hopefully FDC is my retirement job as I collect my SS checks ;-) Maybe we will have our contract settled by then and the retro check will be in the mail as well.

F

Frankie's Friend

EDI (Electronic Document Imaging - aka No Invoice Required) was a great timesaver until they came up with "EDI-Pull". Hopefully FDC is my retirement job as I collect my SS checks ;-) Maybe we will have our contract settled by then and the retro check will be in the mail as well.
This week I was told "Do not retire or quit before you get your retro check or you will not get one".