UPS, FedEx could be hit hard by Wal-Mart's click-and-collect discount plan, analyst says

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

Box Ox

The discount would have to be large enough to outweigh actually having to drive to, park at and go into a Walmart to wait in line. Not insignificant.

Returntosender

Walmart already offers a Pick Up at Store delivery option. These packages are sent through both UPS and Ground.

How is this any different?
Walmart Corporate wants to increase foot traffic in the stores. Every store has a electronic device that counts number of people who enter the store. If the discounted instore pickup is successful? Foot traffic will increase. You have to keep in the mind the instore pick up is located in the back of the store at layaway. A customer has to walk half the length of the store to pick the item/s. Along the customer path, Walmart will offer in store promotions. This was before my time, when Walmart had flash sales a red or blue light would be turned on and that entire rack/ shelf would be a special price. Walmart may be attempting to restart that flash sale program.

If Walmart is successful in getting a online/instore pickup customer to purchase additional instore item's not purchase online this marketing works for them.

I never did work at Walmart. I have friends who work at retail, they reveal some of the retail sales tricks.
They all saying management is attempting to get more foot traffic in the store. Especially the big physical super center stores.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

I don't know if our Wal-Mart is the exception to the rule but they just built a long high-tech vertical tube looking machine that delivers your online package to you, from the back of the store, after it scans your receipt/number. It's in the front of the store.

Brisket

The discount would have to be large enough to outweigh actually having to drive to, park at and go into a Walmart to wait in line. Not insignificant.

True, a lot of people are very busy and simply choose to prioritize whether or not they want to stand in line waiting when they could be doing anything else and opt for having it at their door or office and take it home from there, saving them valuable time.

Box Ox

True, a lot of people are very busy and simply choose to prioritize whether or not they want to stand in line waiting when they could be doing anything else and opt for having it at their door or office and take it home from there, saving them valuable time.

Agree. I'd feel the same way about anything I ordered online myself. When I'm home from work, I'm home. It's not really laziness. It's wanting to maximize family and relaxation time.

Even if an online retailer offered me 10% off a $40 online order ($4, of course), in store pickup wouldn't be worth it to me.

So the question is, how deep are retailers willing to cut to keep the UPS guy from bringing a package to your door?

I think both with this and drone delivery, "market experts" tend to pump up one idea or another without actually understanding how the process actually works.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

Agree. I'd feel the same way about anything I ordered online myself. When I'm home from work, I'm home. It's not really laziness. It's wanting to maximize family and relaxation time.

Even if an online retailer offered me 10% off a $40 online order ($4, of course), in store pickup wouldn't be worth it to me.

So the question is, how deep are retailers willing to cut to keep the UPS guy from bringing a package to your door?

I think both with this and drone delivery, "market experts" tend to pump up one idea or another without actually understanding how the process actually works.

Exactly!!! Sometimes just keeping your mouth shut about :censored2: you really don't have all the information about or even the skill to understand is the best thing.

Box Ox

Exactly!!! Sometimes just keeping your mouth shut about :censored2: you really don't have all the information about or even the skill to understand is the best thing.

I think people outside of our business tend to envision package delivery as a process where the UPS guy has, maybe 100 packages, all under 30 pounds. So they see a drone moving one 1 pound package a few miles in 10 minutes as a potential industry shaker. And they also wonder why they've had to wait allll dayyyyyyy for their package.

The reality is that I have over 200 stops and nearly 400 packages daily, many of which are over 70 pounds. And "solutions" aren't nearly as simple as they seem.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

I think people outside of our business tend to envision package delivery as a process where the UPS guy has, maybe 100 packages, all under 30 pounds. So they see a drone moving one 1 pound package a few miles in 10 minutes as a potential industry shaker. And they also wonder why they've had to wait allll dayyyyyyy for their package.

The reality is that I have over 200 stops and nearly 400 packages daily, many of which are over 70 pounds. And "solutions" aren't nearly as simple as they seem.

Same here. Beer!!

10 Pt

It was reported on the news today that the discount for picking up your $1700.00 flat screen would be $50.00.

They may as well crush it in their Toyota vs us crushing it with an OV70.

Last week I was looking for a 20ft ladder it was $89 online and it said I could pick it up at 2 nearby Walmarts. So when I went there it was $130. They told me I had to order it online first.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Last week I was looking for a 20ft ladder it was $89 online and it said I could pick it up at 2 nearby Walmarts. So when I went there it was $130. They told me I had to order it online first.

U should've ordered it online and set it for site-to-store pickup

Slightly derail, does anyone have the " little giant" clone? The multitask ladder? I'm going to get one for myself during a father's day special (saw a harbor freight version for $99)