ups fires man with colon cancer?

P

pickup

for what it is worth, the report said this took place in uniondale, N.Y. which is in Nassau County . After looking at a map, i see that the entrance of NASNY hub is just within the boundary of that town(hamlet). So I going to say with confidence that it is the NASNY hub from which this driver was terminated.(although the facility itself seems to be located in east garden city)

One other tidbit that i remember from the news report is that the driver said his wife received a letter in the mail and opened it up and saw that it was a termination letter from ups.(presumably his wife got to the mailbox first and opened up his mail). From that , I ASSUME he was probably out on some form of disability otherwise he would have found out in person if he had been going to the hub to work.

My brother went to a court mandated anger management class(he hit a nutty guy/neighbor in his building who was making threats against his wife and 10 month old child, he unfortunately did it in an elevator with a survellance camera that recorded the visuals but not the audios). Anger management classes are not like scheduling appointments for massages. It is pretty much set in stone when you are supposed to show up. I could easily see how this guy might have had it scheduled for a saturday and then when that day came, he was in no shape due to the pain from the cancer and/or the treatment to attend.

Sorry, I couldn't provide a link but take my word for it, I did hear the story on the radio. Anyone reading this who is from the NASNY hub wanna add anything he or she might know?

whiskey

Not subject to DOT but subject to UPS and the LAW.
However, in days past and maybe after I retire? and this would be one of those songs.
The 40 year anniversary of Woodstock is next month. I heard they already had some rain. Now all you need is a flowered VW Micro bus and a little Hendrix on the 8 track.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The 40 year anniversary of Woodstock is next month. I heard they already had some rain. Now all you need is a flowered VW Micro bus and a little Hendrix on the 8 track.
Got this for Father's day:
1839.jpg

Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music Director's Cut

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
PUP

Dont get me wrong, I feel for the guy. There is no upside to cancer, and colon cancer is pretty bad.

But when you have a mandatory anger management class that you have to attend to keep your job, I would be there, good or bad.

And if I couldn't, I sure wouldn't be spreading the BS of UPS terminating me because I have cancer. Why would you think that would help.

The better way would be to see the doctor for the excuse he should have had to begin with if he was really sick.

d

P

pickup

PUP

Dont get me wrong, I feel for the guy. There is no upside to cancer, and colon cancer is pretty bad.

Daniel: By offering up that scenario was I no way taking sides in the "debate" that has sprung up in regards to this story. I only offered that scenario because I have seen neighbors with cancer on certain days running around carefree, other days, I'll be talking with a cancer sufferer, and suddenly he'll grab his side with a look of incredible pain on his face, and have to get back inside the house where he'll disappear for a few days. Whatever plans he had for the day are gone

But when you have a mandatory anger management class that you have to attend to keep your job, I would be there, good or bad.

You left yourself almost wide open on that one because I doubt if you had such a class scheduled on the day you hurt your hand, your class would have taken precedence over your hand. I said "almost wide open" because I think you would have had a get out jail free card with the excuse note (which you mentioned)from the doctor along with the visual of the hand

And if I couldn't, I sure wouldn't be spreading the BS of UPS terminating me because I have cancer. Why would you think that would help.

You got a good point here. Clearly he has decided to fight this using public opinion in an attempt to get ups to give him his job and back pay in order to make it "go away" . I don't think wins 1010 radio knew about this story, he or someone close to him had to reach out to the radio station to get their attention. It must have a very slow news day for the long island bureau of a new york city radio station for them to do this story. Obviously UPS didn't contact the radio station.

The better way would be to see the doctor for the excuse he should have had to begin with if he was really sick.

As mentioned before , that is a very very valid point that knocks my argument to shreds . Again, wish I could provide a link, but I gave a pretty good rendition of the short story. There are a heckuva a lot of details here missing that allows us to speculate and maybe you are on the mark(based on your experience as a shop steward, you've seen it all) or maybe there is something not being reported that could change how we view this. Anyway, may it turn out for the driver in the best fashion possible. I'll leave it in god's hands, I think he is privy to all the details.

Peace

d

P

pickup

If you could have rewound 8 tracks, they never would have been replaced by cassette tapes. Those things were durable and they didn't need cases( other than the little piece of plastic you put on top to keep dust off the exposed tape). The rub was if you wanted to listen to a song again immediately , you had to fast forward through the whole tape till you came around to the desired song.

P

pickup

okay , now this story has him working at springfield gardens, queens. Is that ups freight or some center i never heard about? I heard the other story right but it confirmed something I learned years ago when I use watch the abc , nbc, cbs 1100 newscasts on tape for a living(explained in another thread). Same story,different facts on different networks.