UPS, greatest company in the world to work for!

A

anonymous6

UPS might be a great place to work if you are union - but that's the whole point of the union - you pay dues so that the company can't screw around with you as much as they'd like. Fact is, you come to work, do the job reasonably well, and don't make any obvious mistakes (stealing, violence), all of the threats and warning letters in the world won't take your job.

If you are management, UPS is like a business version of walking the trail of tears. Management folk have no steward to defend them. You come in every day, work ten plus hours (at salary), work weekends from home, do a good job, still get screamed at, are given unattainable goals, have positions in your department cut so that you have to do the same work with less people, are belittled constantly, never see your kids, never have a hobby, eat from a vending machine because your lunch hour doesn't exist, come in sick because you don't get sick days, and have your vacation weeks moved all the time because the controller wants to have a department meeting where he singles his sups out one at a time and tell them what a waste of space they are and how he could get better numbers from trained monkeys. For the priviledge of all this, you get stock at the end of the year, but the stock is VESTED for five years, so you only get a fifth of it initially. If you quit, you lose it.

Then you wake up one day and find yourself thirty pounds overweight, taking anti-anxiety pills to get through the day, waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, divorced, your kids don't remember what you look like, and fantasizing about running your car accidentally/on purpose into a bridge abuttment for the long-term disability. Then you do the math: salary divided by 70 hour work week equals a little less than $14 an hour, gross, plus you pay for part of your benefits. You could have done better in the union without paying out for a bachelor's and master's degree. You update your resume and send it out. You get calls for interviews but because you don't get sick days, you have to be stealthy. The company interviewing you ends up hiring you because they know that if you can survive even a year as UPS management, you have the staying power of a cockroach. UPS UNION jobs have great reps on the street with other companies, but UPS MANAGEMENT jobs have rotten reps. Deservedly so.

whypped dog

you gotta gun to your head to work here?

A

anonymous6

Best job I ever had. Best company I ever worked for. I started in 1968. Part timer making $3.54 per hour. All my other jobs before UPS paid $1.00 to $1.10 per hour. I was part time make more than most people working full time. It was hard work but I came out of the lettuce fields of California. Working at UPS was easy compared to the hot, dirty, wet, and cold jobs in the produce fields. No unions to represent the workers in the fields then. No OSHA, the bosses didn't care if you had water, bathroom facilities.

I thought UPS was crazy to pay me that much money to load trailers. I was glad to work my a** off for them. I took everything they wanted to give me. It also gave me the opportunity to go to college. This was before UPS offered college tuition. I went because I wanted to.

When I graduated, UPS offered me a fulltime job. I was a full time preloader, a driver, a clerk, I even worked in the small hub when they didn't have enough loaders. In 1975 I was making more money than my mom and dad together. That year UPS offered my a management job. I took it and a small cut in pay. Best move I ever made. I had many management jobs over my career. All were great. Hard work, you better believe it. I held myself accountable and the people that worked for me accountable to do the best job we could.

I left UPS in 1995. I invested in the company as much as I could afford. My investments paid off handsomely. So did my other investment, thanks to the income I earned from UPS. Is it the best company ever. For me the answer is YES.

good post and agree. been watching this board for almost two years before posting.

unbelieveable how much whining there is. worked 25 years for non union companies before ups.

am feeder driver for 15 years now. before ups made $10 an hr. no sick days. holidays, vacations. had to physically fight drivers for work sometimes. if called in sick , was either fired or lost your truck and the boss would give you junk to drive.

I could go on and on . talk to other drivers in other companies and they will say "why are you guys always complaining? you have it so good. "

sure, there are a lot of problems at UPS. but, for the most part there are legal and/or union remedies.

it's easy to have a bad attitude if all you do is hang with bad attitude people. try the "outside" world for awhile and see what it's like. you'll be begging to come back.

It's all what you make it. There is a lot of room for improvement. I wish UPS would work to make things better using a positive approach rather than negative.

It could start to be better with each individual.

book suggestion

"Discovering The Laws Of Life" by Templeton. you can get it for a penny on Amazon.

the original Road Dog

feeder53

ADKtrails
I have worked my share of other union jobs, road, city, heavy equipment and here at the HQ and I still say dollar for dollar.....UPS is a very good place to work. I get the same types of issues no matter where I go, but I try to only focus on the positive.......