UPS Health Benefits Shock for Retired Union Employees

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Hospitals can't refuse treatment regardless of financial condition of patient.
The lowest income people without health insurance have always been able to get medical treatment.

Only for emergencies. If you show up at an Emergency Room, bleeding or having a heart attack, the hospital is obligated to STABILIZE you, not treat you long term. Once they establish you are stable, and not in life-threatening danger, you are out. AND you WILL get a bill. Whether they can ever collect from you or not, they WILL bill you and pursue collection.

That's no way to run a health care system.

Last edited:

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Also how long do you think UPS would be in buisiness if they suddenly got a 1445% increase in fuel cost.

That's why they pay the guys in accounting to hedge fuel prices forward.

I am sorry you are being hit with scare tactics on your insurance premiums, but this is something you probably want to hear about now rather than too late to lobby the Teamsters during negotiations. This is in the hands of the negotiating team. Truthfully, I don't think $50/month is sustainable. That money has to come from somewhere. If the Teamsters keep it, or something close to it, they will have to give up some in wages or pension contributions.

If you read up on it, even the $742 they are quoting you is a "reasonable" premium for a family plan, based on the employer plans out there. Family plans run $13000-15000 per year on average.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The letter that was sent made no mention that it was something in negotiation. It stated it as something that was fact. Your cost will be $742.00 per month instead of $50.00. It didn't say that this may happen or that it is a proposal. I can't believe you seriously think this was sent just to help the retirees plan for their financial future. Where did you say you work?

Sit down, take some deep breathes and you will begin to get more oxygen to your brain.
You will be able to think more rationally at that point.

beentheredonethat

The people who made the decision to send this out know full well that this is not a done deal yet. It will be decided in the 2013 contract. It just shows the character of the people running UPS these days..... Retirees have no voting rights in the new contract so it's like attacking someone that can't fight back to see what their friends will do. .... I am not debating weather we deserve these benefits or not. Thats up to the negotiating committees for the 2013 contract. I..... The only thing I ask is for you to enjoy the job I helped to make for you and stop trying to hurt me in my retirement.

I don't disagree in that I think we are all upset\bummed out about the increasing cost of Health care. But, the contract that was negotiated said UPS pays x dollars for insurance coverage and when the price goes above that the increase cost is shared equally between retiree and UPS (I believe that is what it says). So because HW cost skyrocketed both UPS and the retirees are getting hit hard by higher costs. Mgmt has already been paying a lot for Health care and we have been paying for years.

One thing I think we can all do to help lower costs. Eat healthier, exercise more, reduce your intake of carbs, especially if you are diabetic or prediabetic. Eat more vegetables (just not the high starch ones like potatoes or corn) Go get regular physical exams. When you do go to the Dr's office and get bills verify what they billed you for is correct. My Father in law went in for a minor medical procedure and my mother in law compared the medical notes of the procedure to the bill and found a 4,000 dollar overcharge to the insurance company. She had that taken off the bill to the insurance company.

Don't get me wrong, I wish UPS could and would pay for 100% of health care for all of us, hourly and mgmt, active and retired. However, in today's economy that just isn't practical esp when you consider what the competition gives for pay and benefits.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Also how long do you think UPS would be in buisiness if they suddenly got a 1445% increase in fuel cost.
Would be business as usual. They would simply have to increase their fuel surcharge accordingly. The competition would most likely follow suit and the playing field would be leveled out.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Only for emergencies. If you show up at an Emergency Room, bleeding or having a heart attack, the hospital is obligated to STABILIZE you, not treat you long term. Once they establish you are stable, and not in life-threatening danger, you are out. AND you WILL get a bill. Whether they can ever collect from you or not, they WILL bill you and pursue collection.

That's no way to run a health care system.
Exactly correct. All they are obligated to do is to stabilize your situation. If your diagnosed with cancer and need chemotherapy and/or radiation treatments it might as well be a death sentence, as no one is going to treat you for free.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Re: Health Benefit Shock

The formula in the wording here seems really, really expensive.
$6250+$742.50*12months*2you&UPS = total annual cost of $24,070 for insurance.
I am not familiar with Retiree cost of insurance but active employee is around $9,200/yr per person.

Annual cost $15.160. There is no mention of a contribution by the company. Share equally refers to the plan participants.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: Health Benefit Shock

Annual cost $15.160. There is no mention of a contribution by the company. Share equally refers to the plan participants.
Think about it.

Regardless, the cost to the retiree is $742.50 per month for (Family-Retiree, Spouse and covered children).

tae111

Yea I know Ups had a tough year and the CEO took a pay cut Right.. It's not about what other plans cost. I went to work at UPS in 1976 because the pay and benifts were way above any other company. I'm not talking about just other delivery or trucking companies either. I do think $50. per month is sustainable. Yes it is expensive but just look at the raises and compensation the top management of this company got in the last few years. When I was a young driver the CEO made about 5 times what the average driver made. There are a lot of people at the top taking a pretty big bite of the pie and that seem to get larger every year. I'll trade 1 year of Scott Davis's compensation for my lifetime pension and benifits any day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, I must say that this thread has deteriated in intelligent discussion.
It was going so well there for the first 150 posts or so.

tae111

To put it more plainly. The CEO now makes more in in one year than I made in my entire 36 years at UPS. If I had lifetime benifits and live to be 100 and added that to the total it still wouldn't be close.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To put it more plainly. The CEO now makes more in in one year than I made in my entire 36 years at UPS. If I had lifetime benifits and live to be 100 and added that to the total it still wouldn't be close.

Makes one feel so unimportant and insignificant doesn't it?