UPS Health Benefits Shock for Retired Union Employees

willybad

I have a question for all as it pertains to voting down a contract. If the contract was not renewed, does that mean the portion of the contract that says UPS pays x amount for retiree benefits no longer needs to be enforced? I'm just asking a question re this. If this is true, you may want to reconsider the no vote, having to pay for 1/2 the cost of insurance after $6250 is a lot better then paying 100% of the entire bill.
Also, how do you reconcile the fact that the contract clearly states that UPS pays the first 6250 (as others posted) and then the cost is split 50/50. Based on the costs incurred from the prior years. (Again, I'm paraphrasing what other people said the contract states). Just because costs went up and UPS is using the wording of the contract, how is that raping the retirees?

I get that you don't like it. I don't like paying about 650/month now between my insurance and my HCSA each month. Where in the past (granted a long time ago). Health care costs me relatively nothing.

so you believe that ups is going to put in an extra $445/mo. along with our extra $445/mo. which means you also believe ,like the company,that from 1/1/13-8/1/13 the avearage insurance claims per retiree/yr. is going to go from $6250 to $16,930?again if your insurance is going from $650/mo. to $6500/ mo. feel free to post on this subject.
yes they are fully intending to rape us,if the current employees let it slide.when i retired my insurance went from $0 to$50/mo. now 2 yrs.later it's going up $445/mo. u.p.s. told me it can go up as much as they want every year, now that it hit the $6250.this is b.s.!

Last edited:

beentheredonethat

so you believe that ups is going to put in an extra $445/mo. along with our extra $445/mo. which means you also believe ,like the company,that from 1/1/13-8/1/13 the avearage insurance claims per retiree/yr. is going to go from $6250 to $16,930?again if your insurance is going from $650/mo. to $6500/ mo. feel free to post on this subject.
yes they are fully intending to rape us,if the current employees let it slide.when i retired my insurance went from $0 to$50/mo. now 2 yrs.later it's going up $445/mo. u.p.s. told me it can go up as much as they want every year, now that it hit the $6250.this is b.s.!

Per other teamsters on the forum they quoted the contract that specifies what UPS pays out (first 6250) then after that it is 50/50 split based on costs last year. How exactly the cost is analyzed, such as do they only look at costs of retiree insurance for people who are maried with family and divide by that number (so if there are a relatively small number of retirees with family insurance and a few of them had large expenditures is that why family insurance is so expensive? Or are they combining all retirees and avg number of people covered to come up with it, I do not know...... I also don't know if based on trying to raise the rates earlier with Local 705, UPS paid above and beyond the contract and is now implementing it coinciding with the end of the contract. I don't know exactly how.

It's ironic, my cost of paying insurance (for a family) is almost what it is going to be for retirees, and lots of folks indicate I don't understand.

As far as last line, the insurance goes up when the costs insurance pays out goes up.

If you don't believe me, fine.. I get that. If you don't believe UPS, fine... I get that too.

Do some of your own research.. Call up 2 or 3 or 4 insurance companies that offer insurance and find out what they would charge you for individual (or family) or family with children insurance and what your monthly charges would be, also find out what it would cover.

I'm fairly confident that after doing that research you would realize how much insurance costs and the rates listed is still a good deal vs buying it all yourself.

willybad

beentheredonethat , skip it!it does no good to argue with somebody that has nothing to do with this thread.for all those retirees that are about to see u.p.s.rape them by raiseing their insurance rates 10 times what they currently are,and all those union employees that want to retire from u.p.s.please do what you can to keep this from happening.i've called u.p.s twice .i've called my teamsters local 3 times(and emailed them twice).i've called all my retired friends,and my friends still working at u.p.s.. do what you can to get the word out!if there is anything else anybody can think of to do,please speak up.if you want to get on here and belittle the problem,it doesn't concern you!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
for all those retirees that are about to see u.p.s. them by raiseing their insurance rates 10 times what they currently are,and all those union employees that want to retire from u.p.s.please do what you can to keep this from happening.
i've called u.p.s twice .
i've called my teamsters local 3 times(and emailed them twice).
i've called all my retired friends,and my friends still working at u.p.s.. do what you can to get the word out!
if there is anything else anybody can think of to do,please speak up.

Looks like you are doing what you can ... good luck.

willybad

did anybody post the exact verbage from the contract ,or "plan"as it's called in the letter,that u.p.s. is now useing?when i called them,both times,they told me they can, and are going to do this. that once it exceeded the $6250/participant they can raise it every year.if they get away with raiseing it this much this year,why won't they raise it $445 every year?the letter clearly says,the 1st month you have insufficient funds your plan will be terminated and you will not be able to regain elgibility.if they only raise it the same each year,how long before they no longer have to supply any insurance to any retiree?the 1st call to my teamster local.the lady that answered the phone said that teamsters had nothing to do with the retiree insurance,i had to talk to u.p.s..in the next calls and emails with my local,they told me they were aware of the problem and working on it.kazranch,i'm not sure what the single rate was.i assume $25 going up to $247.50/mo?you might be able to keep your retiree insurance a little longer than me,before you can't afford it.i don't think we've heard from the retitree plus family plan people ,that i assume were paying $75, and will now be paying $742.50/mo.unless you have a lot more in the bank,and a lot less going out,you will be loseing your insurance quicker than me.is this sinking in yet?don't let u.p.s get away with this!

beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat , skip it!it does no good to argue with somebody that has nothing to do with this thread.for all those retirees that are about to see u.p.s.rape them by raiseing their insurance rates 10 times what they currently are,and all those union employees that want to retire from u.p.s.please do what you can to keep this from happening.i've called u.p.s twice .i've called my teamsters local 3 times(and emailed them twice).i've called all my retired friends,and my friends still working at u.p.s.. do what you can to get the word out!if there is anything else anybody can think of to do,please speak up.if you want to get on here and belittle the problem,it doesn't concern you!

I have health insurance too, and i will be retiring with health insurance worse then what you folks get. How am I not involved?

beentheredonethat

did anybody post the exact verbage from the contract ,or "plan"as it's called in the letter,that u.p.s. is now useing?when i called them,both times,they told me they can, and are going to do this. that once it exceeded the $6250/participant they can raise it every year.if they get away with raiseing it this much this year,why won't they raise it $445 every year?the letter clearly says,the 1st month you have insufficient funds your plan will be terminated and you will not be able to regain elgibility.if they only raise it the same each year,how long before they no longer have to supply any insurance to any retiree?the 1st call to my teamster local.the lady that answered the phone said that teamsters had nothing to do with the retiree insurance,i had to talk to u.p.s..in the next calls and emails with my local,they told me they were aware of the problem and working on it.kazranch,i'm not sure what the single rate was.i assume $25 going up to $247.50/mo?you might be able to keep your retiree insurance a little longer than me,before you can't afford it.i don't think we've heard from the retitree plus family plan people ,that i assume were paying $75, and will now be paying $742.50/mo.unless you have a lot more in the bank,and a lot less going out,you will be loseing your insurance quicker than me.is this sinking in yet?don't let u.p.s get away with this!

it won't be UPS raising it to whatever amount they want, it will go up by 1/2 the cost of insurance after the 1st 6250.

willybad

ok,i don't have a scanner so iam going to type the whole letter word for word:
dear plan participant,the average annual cost per participant in the ups health and welfare package for retired employees has exceeded $6250.under the terms of the plan.each retired employee will be required to share equally in the cost above the $6250 maximum by making additional contribution in 2013.
your cotribution amount may change from year to year.as a result of the annual evaluation of the annual cost per participant,your cost share for 2013 will be greater than your cost for 2012.your cost is determined by which of the four coverage catagories for this plan applies to you:
you only $247.50 per month
you plus spouse $495.00 per month
you plus children $495.00 per month
you plus family $742.50 per month
you will be bill quarterly,beginning august 1,2013,for your cost share that exceeds the maximum amount.each bill will cover your cost share for a full three months.you may choose to pay your bills by bank draft.for more information about this option callthe ups benefits service center at 1-800-ups-1508.
if payment is not recieved by the due date on your billing statement,your coverage under the plan will terminate on the last day of the month for which full payment was recieved.you will not be able to regain elgibility.
if you have any questions,please contact the benefits service center.
ups plan administrtion
1st, where does it say ups is paying 1/2 the amount over $6250? 2nd, where does it say it will go up 1/2 the cost of insurance after the 1st 6250 from year to year after this,it doesn't!
the letter says each retired employee will be required to share equally in the cost,not ups.
the letter says it may change as a result of the annual evaluation of the annnual cost per participant,not it will go up 1/2 the cost, or even the cost-just the evaluation of tha annual cost.
ups will sneak anything by us they can, to line their own pockets.did any of you even hear about this $6250 before now?wake up people!

willybad

I have health insurance too, and i will be retiring with health insurance worse then what you folks get. How am I not involved?
start your own thread on the high cost of insurance,or how good ups retiree's have it or whatever you want.this thread is"ups health benefits shock for retired union employees"

willybad

does any one here have a copy of the "plan"that ups is useing to do this?is it in the contract?has anybody even read it?if somebody actually has it,could you at least quote the part about the $6250 ?
when i retired,i told my wife that we couldn't do it without the insurance ,and that it was such a good deal ,ups would do every thing they could to drop us.in the 1st 3 months, they cancelled us 3 times.then they let us slide, till now.now it's all of us!this is a huge step for ups towards being able to cancel all of us.come on people,don't just sit still and watch the benefits you worked ,most of your life for, disappear!

reydluap

does any one here have a copy of the "plan"that ups is useing to do this?is it in the contract?has anybody even read it?if somebody actually has it,could you at least quote the part about the $6250 ?
when i retired,i told my wife that we couldn't do it without the insurance ,and that it was such a good deal ,ups would do every thing they could to drop us.in the 1st 3 months, they cancelled us 3 times.then they let us slide, till now.now it's all of us!this is a huge step for ups towards being able to cancel all of us.come on people,don't just sit still and watch the benefits you worked ,most of your life for, disappear!

Everyone has been sent a "UPS Health & Welfare Package / UPS Health & Welfare Package for Retired Employees" summary plan description booklet after our contract agreements. This booklet explains Eligibility,Enrollment,Health benifits,Disability programs,Legal,Spending accounts,Mortgage programs, and other insurances and benifits. The booklet I am looking at was printed in 2009. I have received many updates over the years that involve this booklet.

On page 108 of this booklet (in the Qualified retired employees section) it spells out the $6250 annual cost and what would happen if that cost was exceeded. I don't like it any more than any one of you, but this figure and agreement was spelled out four years ago in black and white. This is NOT something UPS has just decided to surprise us all about.

For those of you that don't have a booklet, it reads:

AVERAGE ANNUAL COST

The average annual cost per participant is defined as the total claims paid by the Plan in a calendar year. Each retired employee,each spose,and each eligible dependent is considered a Plan participant.

If the average cost per participant exceedes $6250, each retired employee will share equally in the cost above the $6250 maximum by making an additional contribution.

The $6250 maximum cost per participant is subject to future negotioations.If required,the additional contributions would not be implemented until after the expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement.

We may not like it, but UPS didn't just drop a surprise on us.......

willybad

thankyou reydluap,at least it says it's subject to future negotioations,and also can't be implemeted till after the expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement.to me ,this at least gives some hope.maybe in 2009 ,teamsters didn't think the cost would ever get that high(while u.p.s.thought it could) before the contract expired.also ,if the new cotract isn't finalized by 8/1,don't they usually extend the current one,thereby keeping them from raiseing the rates till the new contract is finally ratified?this in no way diminishes the problem,but it does give us some hope that we can do something about it.call your union.call other u.p.s.retirees.call your friends that are still working at u.p.s. make sure everybody concerned knows what's about to happen if we just stand still.if u.p.s. can get away with raiseing the rates till we can't pay them,they will!for every participant in the retiree insurance that loses their insurance,u.p.s. pockets an extra $6250/yr.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Call everyone yes and I agree this is crap but don't bank on it staying as is. Come up with a plan and see where u can cut spending just in case.

willybad

i hear you.if i quit everything i retired to do,i can come up with 1/2 the 1st rate hike.of course this will give me a lot more time to be a pain in the a-- on internet forums---till i can't afford internet.

oldngray

nowhere special
"Everyone has been sent a "UPS Health & Welfare Package / UPS Health & Welfare Package for Retired Employees" summary plan description booklet after our contract agreements"
totally not true. I saved everything I got in mail and they never sent that to me. The closest was a comment that said it doesn't explain all of the plan details. I "should" have received that booklet but never did.
Except for a comment to go to UPSers.com for more information and of course they block your access 6 months after you retire.

willybad

i couldn't remember getting it either.did it just go out to those already retired when the last contract was ratified?when i was getting ready to retire,u.p.s.human relations told me ,my wife and i would get our insurance for $50/mo.if i had known then ,that in less than 3 yrs, it would cost $495,and it could go up every year after that,i would still be working.the last 2 1/2 years have been the best years of my life.i guess u.p.s. can't take those away.