UPS In an Acquiring Mood?

U

upsadvisor

Feederdryver,

Thats the best post I have read in a long time.
If every one were to do that Fed Ex would be in real trouble.

People tend do things out of habit and routine and this is not always what is best for them.

UPS is untouchable as far as service and the people, period end of sentence.

Way to Go !!!!

John

M

michael

Feederdryver:

a tip of the cap to you

True, you were doing your job but that doesn't mean you can't be commended for it. Can you imagine if every driver got just one package a day back into our system from our competitors? Small thing but it would add up. I only hope more UPS employees share your attitude. As a stockholder it give me hope for the future of our company. Keep up a job well done!

P

peacock71

My view is that UPS needs to make inroads still in the LTL area, despite the relative success of hundredweight. If CNF is not a candidate, how about Yellow or Roadway? Both Teamster, we have to pay their pensions anyway if they go belly up...

Go UPS!
P71

F

feederdryver

Peacock-

You need to start doing your homework a little better. UPS "is" dipping into the LTL sector.
It's called "UPS Logistics" (maybe you've heard of it) and they are using NON-UNION owner operators to haul it. Of course, you'll never see that driving down the road, since they are using their own equipment. But they do arrive at Rail Hubs and Airports to off-load. As far as aquiring Yellow, CNF, and Roadway ...I hardly doubt it.
You don't think Yellow masterminded the fall of Preston (by diverting volume to it's non-Union subsidiary Jevic Transport) for nothing do you?
The same goes with the self-destruction of CF, only to remain in the game as CNF (a.k.a. the NON-Union CCX)
Roadway would make a great aquis..but that's just a dream.

I think the the "boys" in Atlanta should of forecasted the purchase of RPS by FedEX a million miles away. Now they have a long ways to catch up and put FedEx back where they used to be..in the air !! (prob'ly never happen though)
UPS needs to use their finances to take aim at regaining customer confidence. The 4 billion dollar ad campain is a good start (even though it focuses primarily on UPS Logistics), but now it's time to start using their money to upgrade their older hubs and centers to accomodate larger volume/packages to reduce damages.

And get those damn trailers off the rail !!!! (hehe)

Peace.

Go UPS Teamsters !!

T

tieguy

Feederdryver thanks for keep us informed on how screwed up the company is. Could you now tell us what the teamsters have to do to protect their cash cow from the non-union carrier?

P

peacock71

UPS expanding its LTL capability with a systemic LTL offering, rather than contracting. A systemic LTL offering using the UPS Brand as leverage, would increase customer confidence. An acquisition would be the best way to do that, either by UPS proper, or Logistics (which I know very well).

As for the $4B ad campaign. If its costing that much, I'm outta here!

Go UPS!
P71

P

peacock71

ANy truth to this?...I wonder...

Mexico, Oct 31, 2002 (El Economista/SABI via COMTEX) -- The rumored acquisition of the Estafeta courier company by UPS (United Parcel Service) is now seen as a serious proposition, with the US company readying to become the leader of the Mexican market, which moves 490,000 m tons of packages per year. UPS plans to open its second distribution center, in Monterrey, which will help make its costs and operations more efficient. The company is also developing its First International Bank operations, as well as improving its security systems. Something is moving our stock.

Go UPS!
P71

L

lr1937

I think your opinion stinks!

We are trying to get loads "OFF" the rail NOT ON !!! DUH !

Who are we??? Are we the ones that are interested in whats best for the company or best for fdr drivers. I think we should put as many trailers on the rails as is possible as long as it helps provide the best service at lowest costs. In my opinion we should be looking at purchasing or merging with a railroad and use are expertise to make money by putting more trailers on rails and using the RR to move packages in whatever way improves service and costs. I think we could improve the way railroads are run and could make a better profit than the present railroad management is.
I could care less about your selfish attitude regarding feeder drivers. If you can do it providing better service at a lower cost then more power to you. If you can't then move the packages whatever way brings about the best service at lower costs.
Just my stinking opinion.

F

feederdryver

Ir1937-

I want wants best for everyone. Equality.
Your worried about being cost effective ?, how about upper management giving back some of their "year ends' fat sloppy bonuses they all recieve for all that "fraudulent" paperwork they turn in to Atlanta??
Don't tell me I have a selfish attitude pal !!
I know the good and the bad, and it's on both sides of the fence. There will never be a utopia environment between the Union and UPS, because somebody will always want more and more and more and more... But there are people like me who are stuck in the middle.. I call it the "gray area". I give 110% "when the company lets me" and I don't always agree with the Union.
UPS has been using the rail for many of many years now to be cost effective...but within the past 2 years I have seen many concrete bid runs disappear due to rail takeover.
Is it cost effective or just more "bonus addiction? "Whatever it is, it sucks and it hurts the American working families. But I guess the "selfish people" in this game really don't give a crap about that.
Face it..the "majority" of UPS management really don't care about the customer..I see it everyday..All they care about is the numbers.
And "many" of the Teamster members just want to ride on the coat-tails of this company. It amazes me how UPS and the Union made it together this long.
I guess I have to give all the credit to the guys in the "gray area" like me, that made it possible for both sides to profit for so long.

Go UPS Gray and Teamster Gray !!!

The selfish one

T

tieguy

"how about upper management giving back some of their "year ends' fat sloppy bonuses they all recieve for all that "fraudulent" paperwork they turn in to Atlanta??"

The M.I.P. incentive you call a bonus is not based on any local numbers. Therefore there is no way for me a grass roots management person to inflate my results and get a bigger "bonus". It is strictly based on the profit of UPS. I'll give some of mine back as soon as you give back some of the money you have derived from your many BS grievances.

T

tieguy

"I want wants best for everyone. Equality"

So what you really believe in is communism. Everybody gets paid the same regardless of the amount of work they do?

T

tieguy

By the way TeamsterDryver you ignored the question. Your so busy trying to make up crap against UPS that your head is in the sand. UPS and the teamsters are under a real threat from non-union labor. What action will you demand your union takes to protect its bread and butter from the non-union fedex's of the world? Or are you so busy trying to find new ways to screw your company that you haven't had time to think about it.

P

peacock71

What happened to this thread? Is there truth to the Mexican acquisition rumor?

How about a similar move in Asia?

Go UPS!
P71

D

dammor

What happened to this thread is the same as all the others. People start out decent and before you know it we have ourselves a full-blown pissing contest again. Tieguy, don't mean to pick on you, but if you really are a sup you could use some training in people skills. I have worked with many and the way you come across is not good. You seem angry. So do the employees you hook horns with. That never works. I am lucky enough to finally be working for, and with, sups that seem to really want to listen. I actually had one tell me perhaps he needed more imput from me. That was after I said "this won't work." That is the best way to handle a bad situation. The fact that he was even willing to listen gave me a better attitude. We need to remember that this company is not about browns and ties. We will all do well or not depending on how well we work together.

L

lr1937

Don't tell me I have a selfish attitude pal !!

Why the hell not? If you can tell me my opinion stinks then you've opened the door for personal shots.

Your worried about being cost effective ?, how about upper management giving back some of their "year ends' fat sloppy bonuses they all recieve for all that "fraudulent" paperwork they turn in to Atlanta??

If there is no profit there is nothing for management to give back. You get your highest paid in the industry bonus wages regardless of profits. Do you have any proof of your fraudulent charges? If you do, put up or shut up and the fraudulent manager well be gone. It is not a bonus. It is an incentive, not akin to milking a run for more overtime, for people to produce honest results that turn into company profits. No one has been asked for give backs. How many fat, fraudulent time cards do you turn in?

You say you are stuck in the middle. Stuck in the middle my a@#. There is no anchor on your $100,000 a year job fanny. You are only stuck where you want to be. You have your chauffers license or equivalent that allows you to unstick yourself and go drive somewhere where you are not "stuck". I know you don't like being told to go elsewhere, so if you want to avoid being told this don't set your self up with a woe is me statement like "I am stuck in the middle. You could take a promotion and do something constructive but you don't think managers are paid enough even with their managers incentive. Just think, you could be the first one to give back your incentive and set an example for all the fraudulent managers.

Is it cost effective or just more "bonus addiction?

Is bonus addiction any thing like "milking cash cow addiction" I would like to see "grays" like you put 10% of their yearly earnings on the line based on company profits rather than milking the cash cow with unnecessary overtime. Many supervisors wages would not be as much as yours if it weren't for incentive and even then with your fraudulent overtime you probably outearn them in the short run. Why aren't you a business agent or union official if you see so much wrong. Why not GOYA and become part of the solution instead of whining about how you are stuck in the middle. I know many hard working teamster officials that would love for you to come on board and do some leading instead of whining about those who do.

"Whatever it is, it sucks and it hurts the American working families. But I guess the "selfish people" in this game really don't give a crap about that.

There are very few if any ups working families that have been hurt like many other working families have been hurt in this country recently. Your linking American working families with ups working families leaves me in tears. Your working family cries regarding ups families is a stretch. If you are amoung the highest paid and benefited workers in the country then you had better believe other "working families" are going to do whatever it takes to find a way to get a piece of the "highest paid" action. Take a look around you at who is taking our business. Are these people the highest paid in the industry? Is it possible that they may be part of the reason some people are still laid off. Are they wanting to milk their employer or are they taking volume because they have better costs and service. There is nothing I want more than UPS working families to continue to be the best paid workers in the industry and don't want any to lose their jobs. When this happens we will all be in trouble.

I guess I have to give all the credit to the guys in the "gray area" like me, that made it possible for both sides to profit for so long.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. UPS's success and profits are made possible by all of the hard working employees both management and hourly not just poor stuck in the middle grays like you and your buddies.
Making money and building a succesful business like ups is a team effort including hard working teamsters and managers. No one group of people is responsible for this especially poor gray stuck in the middle folks like you.

Many of the hard working managers that work with you would like to tell you the things I just posted, but would be in deep trouble for doing so. You would run to your steward and cry foul. Your unfounded allegations regarding fraudulent managers and your ignorance regarding what you call "bonus" is a discredit to the other hard working teamster ups workers. I certainly am glad you are a small minority of ups employees.
AMF

P

peacock71

Then lets have a thread called 'Whining Pissing Contest'...then the few of us left can have an intelligent exchange regarding the future of our investment.

Go UPS!
P71

L

lr1937

Then lets have a thread called 'Whining Pissing Contest'...then the few of us left can have an intelligent exchange regarding the future of our investment.

I apologize for getting into a pissing contest with feederdryvr but when he states that the ups bonus is obtained by management sending fraudulent reports I think that is about my investment. I believe that letting loose and ignorant statements like his go unchallanged can affect my investment. I don't believe anyone should invest based on message board statements. Unfortunately uninformed non ups people can get the wrong impression about ups if crap like this is left unchallanged. I also believe in the integrety of our management people and feel obliged to counter missinformed and ignorant statements.
My apologies.

F

feederdryver

Ir-

I didn't bother reading your entire post, because the first few accusations to my personality, were just way off the charts , however I will address a couple things.

1) I don't make $100,000 a year and I never expect to. And thats fine.

2) I have a scheduled tractor trailer pickup city run that has scheduled pickup times for each individual customer (which is recorded daily on the FTD computer in my tractor), and a scheduled "return to hub" time which I have to adhere to everyday (and I do). It would be very hard for me to "milk my run" for overtime, even if I wanted to.

3) "Pat myself on the back?? Read my previous post regarding how I diverted volume from FedEx.. I plainly stated "I need no "attaboy"s for doing my job. A few people thanked me anyways.. and so now I'll say "your welcome".

4)"affect my investments"-- well I guess this shows what your more concerned with.

5)"I'm glad your a small minority of the UPS family" ..am I ?? What a pity

6) Did I say that "your" opinion stinks?
I don't remember putting your name in that post. (typical managerial accustation)

Ok..I guess I went back and read a little more of your post then I had originally planned. And tackled more that just a "couple things".

Tieguy- (hehe.. this kid cracks me up)

" Your a Communist" for wanting equality. Hahahaha..
So since UPS is a EOE (Equal Oppurtunity Employer) I guess I'm working for a Communist company. Tiekid's education is a perfect example of the requirements UPS imposes on those wanting management positions. But hey..they've lasted for 95 years so I guess somethings working here.

Hey Ir, let me know what district the Feeder drivers are in that are making $100,000 a year ? I might put in for a transfer..hahahahah

Well I think I gave enough feedback to give both of you something to write about for the next couple of days.

Have a nice weekend.

Peacock71--- I'm sorry...what do you do at UPS?