ups injury settlement question

B

brownandout

it is a settlement not a buyout......they are 2 different things.......the buyout is for people who cant return to work...... a settlement is for people who can......ive been through it 3 times i think i know what i am talking about......i got 60,000.00 $ for 1 settlement and 24,000.00 $ for the other........so why would you question my response to this thread.....evidently you have no clue on how workmans comp settlements work,if you do please explain it to me then,by the way have you ever filed for comp ???? if not just sit back and read the threads you may learn something........you probably work hurt anyway......

B

brownand out

workmans comp was put in place to help a worker if he gets hurt,but there are caps that limit the amount of money you get........your weekly benefits are based on 66.6 % of your paid hours....so if you run bonus you will only get 66.6% of 40 hours.....if you work 50 to 60 you get 66.6% of that ,and guess what its not taxable income........your settlement is tax free also......like i said there are limits to your monetary settlement......after my 1st injury the lawyer told me i will get some money ,but not as much as if the accident occured on my personal time......say if i got in a car accident and i had the same injury i could have gotten about 5 times more dealing with insurance companies etc......so workmans comp protects you and the company you work for........we have very gooooooooooddddddddd workmans comp benefits because i have heard horror stories from people i know who were too afraid of thier bosses at work to file a claim !!!!!!!!!!!!!BTW no cell phone texts on these last 2 responces,but i know my structure sucks.......good luck to all and please dont work hurt...work safe

metrophillyslub

it is a settlement not a buyout......they are 2 different things.......the buyout is for people who cant return to work...... a settlement is for people who can......ive been through it 3 times i think i know what i am talking about......i got 60,000.00 $ for 1 settlement and 24,000.00 $ for the other........so why would you question my response to this thread.....evidently you have no clue on how workmans comp settlements work,if you do please explain it to me then,by the way have you ever filed for comp ???? if not just sit back and read the threads you may learn something........you probably work hurt anyway......
brownandout you dont have to be a smart ass in your response. obviously no one has heard of a settlement in a case where a person is able to return to work. also, i have been on comp , plenty of times due to ankle and foot surgeries. not once was i offered any kind of settlement so excuse me for not knowing or ever hearing about said settlement. we all just wanted more information to the above person who started this thread.

helenofcalifornia

OK, I am a little confused here. I have been on WC before and was given a weekly paycheck from Liberty Mutual up to a certain sum, and this was considered a "settlement." I returned to work and signed off with LM. And signed off only on the injuries that were not going to be a problem in the future to my health. So doesn't everybody that is on a WC injury get a bi-weekly check from Liberty Mutual as part of their "settlement?"

upsdude

Workers Comp……………..

Individual State laws dictate payments, settlements etc. We can all argue until the cows come home but what Joe Blow gets in Nebraska could be way off what Susie Settlement gets in North Carolina.

L

Load Stand

OK, I am a little confused here. I have been on WC before and was given a weekly paycheck from Liberty Mutual up to a certain sum, and this was considered a "settlement." I returned to work and signed off with LM. And signed off only on the injuries that were not going to be a problem in the future to my health. So doesn't everybody that is on a WC injury get a bi-weekly check from Liberty Mutual as part of their "settlement?"

Helen, most if not all state comp systems cover medical bills...most if not all states have some form of weekly wage replacement benefits....some states may have this PPD rating as well...the reasoning for PPD is that although the employee has received weekly wage loss benefits and medical coverage, and may be able to return to work, there may be some loss of use or permanent impairment on the body part(s) involved....my experience is that in the states in which you get this PPD, the weekly wage loss benefits are lesser..

Also, often when you return to work, most states require that the ending of wage loss is memorialized, hence sometimes Liberty Mutual will send you formwork that they ask you to sign off on, to memorialize properly with the state comp bureaus. Although you agree that the wage loss has stopped, some states have timeframes for continued medicals if you still may need them and the are reasonable and necessary.

I think when this chain started, the term settlement is not really a settlement that we know it as...maybe it is an agreement that the wage loss has stopped, or maybe there is an offer to just agree to a average PPD amount instead of getting docs and lawyers to play their games...the term settlement is usually referred to when you can not return to work at all, and that is a much more complex thing.

My experience also has been that UPS employees have a good fringe benefits as well when on comp...as part of the CBA's, some employees continue to get healthcare and pension contributions when you are off work. Some employers do not go that far.

billbraxton

Thank You to EVERYONE for your info in your responses it is very helpful. in this state i believe there is a ppd award if you have to have surgery. once again i really appreciate EVERYONES help!!!

B

brownandout

metro i wasnt trying to be a smart ass ,but when i offered information on said thread your response may have set me off a little........did you have a lawyer for your comp cases? and i do get weekly checks from liberty mutual and that is not the settlement...that is for being off work......we are always told not to sign off on anything especially if it benefits ups....if you dont have a lawyer ups will not offer any info to you,why should they.....if you dont know about the settlements they surely wont tell you !!!!!!!! as was said also different states different laws,but ups is ups they will not offer anything unless told to......maybe we can get a response from some management people......i havent heard from any of them in this thread.........I WONDER WHY ???????

B

Brown and down

Blew out my knee, had surgery, UPS offered me $8700.00,called lawyer,Lawyer got me $28000.00, lawyer took $3500, case is forever open if I re-injure knee, everyone happy!!

massbrown

It sounds like a Permanent Partial Disability payment. I retuned to work in May after back surgery. According to my lawyer Liberty Mutual pays the employee a one time payment after they have retuned to work for 90 days. The payment is based on you being well enough to work but not 100% like you were before the injury. The employee is paid a certain amount for each percent of loss of function due to the injury. The employee usually gets a percentage of loss from their doctor, then sees a Liberty's doctor and the payment falls somewhere in between the two.