Ups jobs

I live in Los angeles, but I never seen an asian ups driver or ups worker before. Does ups not prefer to hire asians or do the asians not like working at ups?

helenofcalifornia

But I bet you got plenty Hispanics, right? Our HR person went in jags where all she would seem to hire was Pacific Islanders, blacks, then Hispanics, an occasional white, then back to Hispanics. It depends on where they do the recruiting and who is referring them to UPS. It all seems to average out after awhile. It's women that are the most under represented minority at UPS. Most women don't think they can do it. Maybe rightly, but not all the time.

Tony31yrs

We had an HR guy a while back that only hired part timers that looked like Arnold Schwartzenegger in his prime. I think he had some issues.

I have to agree that UPS doesn't discriminate though. There were few woman drivers because they expected them to do the same job as a man. They treat men & women of all races and creeds like crap. That's the only way they are fair.

Griff

I've watched women in our building skyrocket through the management ranks lately, mainly asian and black women and you start to wonder. It's pretty obvious UPS has an agenda or quota when it comes to promoting people. Glad I'm not part of the corporate ladder scam, my blood would boil if I was passed over for a promotion just because I'm *gasp* a white male.

brownrodster

I live in Los angeles, but I never seen an asian ups driver or ups worker before. Does ups not prefer to hire asians or do the asians not like working at ups?

Most asians around here are a little too educated to work at UPS. Ive seen 2 asian part timers since I've worked here but both were college students.

UPS would hire asians! no problem there.

FromBluetoBrown

We had an Asian kid working the midnight to 4. He only lasted 3 days. He got tired of being stuck unloading trailers so he never came back. We do have a Guaminians though, I guess they count as Asians

FromBluetoBrown

he got tired of being stuck unloading trailers after 3 days? wow

Well this was over the summer when the midnight to 4 consisted of him, me, 2 sorters, a shifter, and the sup. So me and him each did a trailer by ourselves and I guess the heat and the humidity and all the work he was doing got to him

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Brownrodster, your statement that "most Asians are a little too educated to work at UPS" mirrors the perception most of the public has about UPS drivers which couldn't be further from the truth. In my center, we have at least 3 college graduates (including myself) who are drivers. In my case, I make more money driving at UPS ($80K plus benefits) than I would I if were in a job in my field (business administration). The other two tell similar stories. I think that you would be surprised to find how many of your co-workers have graduated, or at least have some, college and who are working here for the same reason that I am, so please try to avoid the stereotyping.

Last edited:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
my cousin has a masters in education and she is a school teacher in the peoples republic of cambridge mass oh yeah the mecca of mass liberals. in 97 when all of the usa learned how much we make thanks cnn she was mad and said how can you make more than me !!!! i work harder lol lol she was pissed :angry::angry:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

Personally, I think they are all too smart to take the job. Their culture dictates education and they have alot better jobs than anything they could hope for at UPS

Hawaii50

We had an Asian kid working the midnight to 4. He only lasted 3 days. He got tired of being stuck unloading trailers so he never came back. We do have a Guaminians though, I guess they count as Asians

They're not asians. People from Guam are called Chamorros, not Guamianians. Chamorros are not Asain they're Pacific islanders.