UPS latest earnings report

Aquaman

That's a very high number, even for them

Willing? I hardly think they do it willingly. I'll bet most would rather be home for dinner, help their kids with their homework and tuck them in at night
UPS would not pay them $40+ an hour if they only worked 8 hour days. That’s the deal. And the company loves it that way. It clearly works very well. They pay drivers the best wage in the business, and in return they get a FT delivery and pickup driver that works 10-12 hours, 5 days a week. They get to be incredibly strict on productivity and safety. Meanwhile FedEx pays some of the worst wage in the business. And gets a full time delivery or pickup driver who doesn’t want to work a minute passed 8 hours & doesn’t care about accidents or productivity.

cosis

fedex pays sucks but I like getting off at 5 everyday. being away from my family isn't worth any amount of money.

yadig

That's a very high number, even for them

Willing? I hardly think they do it willingly. I'll bet most would rather be home for dinner, help their kids with their homework and tuck them in at night
Those kids will enjoy a better life style and keys to a really nice car though. My kid’s didn’t want to hang with the wife or me when they became teenagers anyhow. It was sports and friends for my two then off to college. The notion that you can’t spend time with your kids every minute of their life is a fallacy.

!Retired!

Most shouldn’t take a 1000-1900 shift then. Providing an elevated lifestyle for your family requires personal sacrifice, especially in this day and time.
Most don't have a choice but to take a shift like that
UPS would not pay them $40+ an hour if they only worked 8 hour days. That’s the deal. And the company loves it that way. It clearly works very well. They pay drivers the best wage in the business, and in return they get a FT delivery and pickup driver that works 10-12 hours, 5 days a week. They get to be incredibly strict on productivity and safety. Meanwhile FedEx pays some of the worst wage in the business. And gets a full time delivery or pickup driver who doesn’t want to work a minute passed 8 hours & doesn’t care about accidents or productivity.
So you think that if FedEx paid UPS wages, most people would be ok working 10-12 hours (0900-2000)?
fedex pays sucks but I like getting off at 5 everyday. being away from my family isn't worth any amount of money.
Exactly. Like I've said before, I didn't miss a single recital, play, swim meet or volleyball match
Those kids will enjoy a better life style and keys to a really nice car though. My kid’s didn’t want to hang with the wife or me when they became teenagers anyhow. It was sports and friends for my two then off to college. The notion that you can’t spend time with your kids every minute of their life is a fallacy.
I have NEVER EVER heard a SINGLE person say, I wish I made more money so my kids can have nice things. Every post about money was always I want a nicer car, I want a bigger house, I want to take nicer vacations, etc etc etc
And for the record, it's not the same thing. Remember, it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

So you think that if FedEx paid UPS wages, most people would be ok working 10-12 hours (0900-2000)?

Exactly. Like I've said before, I didn't miss a single recital, play, swim meet or volleyball match

I have NEVER EVER heard a SINGLE person say, I wish I made more money so my kids can have nice things. Every post about money was always I want a nicer car, I want a bigger house, I want to take nicer vacations, etc etc etc
And for the record, it's not the same thing. Remember, it's not what you say, but how you say it.
1. Then they had a choice to make, and made it. Live with it.
2. Don't know of any people who actually want to WORK 10-12 hours a day.
3. (Applause)
4. Says alot about who you hang with.

bacha29

Some people take the long shifts and all the OT offered at UPS because they know that the job is a joint killer no matter if you work an 8 hour shift or a 12 hour shift . Therefore the key is to get the most pension years of service you can acquire along with the highest Social Security earnings year you accumulate. Now there are people who spend every dime they earn as fast as they can get it while on the other hand there are guys at UPS who live modestly while economically bracing themselves for an uncertain future.

!Retired!

1. Then they had a choice to make, and made it. Live with it.
2. Don't know of any people who actually want to WORK 10-12 hours a day.
3. (Applause)
4. Says alot about who you hang with.
1. Agreed. But, their also bid on by seniority, just like us. Don't expect a 'cake route' unless you have 25+ years.....unless you get really lucky
3. Not looking for an applause. Just pointed out the difference of a FedEx vs UPS courier. Most UPS driver's can't say what I did
4. Not about who I hang out with. Read the FedEx pages on social media. I want a nice car, I want a bigger house, etc.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
1. Agreed. But, their also bid on by seniority, just like us. Don't expect a 'cake route' unless you have 25+ years.....unless you get really lucky
3. Not looking for an applause. Just pointed out the difference of a FedEx vs UPS courier. Most UPS driver's can't say what I did
4. Not about who I hang out with. Read the FedEx pages on social media. I want a nice car, I want a bigger house, etc.
You missed my point about having a choice. If you have to choose between the job and family life, your choice shows what you value.
I was a swing trying to reestablish myself after a divorce, so I worked 60 hours unless I had my kids. Point being, not many people want to do that.
UPS drivers will sacrifice their bodies for the money, not vice versa.
Braggarts post that BS, not rank and file.

yadig

I worked my axx off so my kids could live in a nicer home, better schools, and have the necessities. I don’t believe that you didn’t want the same for your children.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Ya couldn’t be a bunch of lower managment too afraid to confront bad ideas head on. The one reason I wish this company was unionized is because almost everything this company tries is a mistake. It’s horrible idea after horrible idea. Everything is a reaction to something that’s already happened. A union contract would at least protect our pay from their dumb dumb dumb ideas. How many dumb ideas would get pushed through if our raises weren’t optional. How much contracting would they do if they had to pay us well.
There is another benefit for a corporation to have collective bargaining agreements. Known labor costs. Going forward even under multiple contracts, management knows that their labor costs won't exceed a certain level. That permits much better long term investment and planning.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
There is another benefit for a corporation to have collective bargaining agreements. Known labor costs. Going forward even under multiple contracts, management knows that their labor costs won't exceed a certain level. That permits much better long term investment and planning.
That would only means labor cost per hour would be determined. Unless the number of employees and overtime remain static, labor costs will fluctuate all over the place.

Is that what you meant???

floridays

Don't use the family excuse because you don't want to work more than eight a day.

I bet you drag the whole family to the golf course or to the lake fishing with a buddy.
It's doubtful the kids are with you if get a beer with your buddies.
Damn good thing you aren't a pilot.

Just like the democrats, you do everything for the children, I get it.

Don't use your family as an excuse.
Note, I didn't say a reason, it's an excuse.

Just my opinion.

I apologize if I was too harsh for you, but it was meant to be.

floridays

Ever get a beer with your buddies?
Does that philosophy extend to your wife as well?
Does she have anytime with "the girls" or are your children always there?
Just questions.

Can your kids sleep over at a friends house without you?
I get it, you didn't marry your job.

I never heard of anyone that needed a roof repaired, or trees that had to be trimmed or taken down to protect your house.

What about a pesky car repair?

I understand, all of those things are budgeted for from your 40 hour wage.
No need to use credit.

Some of you guys are funny, not funny ha, ha.
Funny weird.

Last edited:

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Hey Fedex. How many of your coworkers used to work for UPS and came to Fedex for this vastly superior working conditions and work life balance. Lol

falcon back

Don't use the family excuse because you don't want to work more than eight a day.

I bet you drag the whole family to the golf course or to the lake fishing with a buddy.
It's doubtful the kids are with you if get a beer with your buddies.
Damn good thing you aren't a pilot.

Just like the democrats, you do everything for the children, I get it.

Don't use your family as an excuse.
Note, I didn't say a reason, it's an excuse.

Just my opinion.

I apologize if I was too harsh for you, but it was meant to be.
What's wrong with getting off by 1700 so you can have some family time. Before I retired, getting off at 1700 would be a 12 hr day.